The 2010-2011 MLB Offseason Thread

AnythingChicago

Rotoworld has the Red Sox not connected to Carl Crawford, but rather them looking for a "complementary" outfielder. Apparently, they're interested in trading for Josh Willingham or signing Magglio Ordonez. I'd be good with either deal.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unless Lee learns how to bat right handed and can protect Howard in the lineup, it wouldn't really make that much of a difference.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

What I heard on MLB network last night was that they were planning on blowing him away with an absurd offer, but realized that he was only going to sign with a contender, so they used some (well, most) of that money on Werth. My god how the NL East will look if they do get Lee to join them. The Phillies home games in DC will be a lot more interesting.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Where in the World are the Nats getting this kind of money?

The Lerners are absolutely filthy stinking rich. IIRC, they are among the top 5 (maybe even top 3) richest owners in baseball. I think I remember hearing that when they took over.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

What I heard on MLB network last night was that they were planning on blowing him away with an absurd offer, but realized that he was only going to sign with a contender, so they used some (well, most) of that money on Werth. My god how the NL East will look if they do get Lee to join them. The Phillies home games in DC will be a lot more interesting.

They should have stuck with that plan. I mean, who doesn't take something like 6 years, 230 million? And he could make them a contender.

25yzwqg.png

The Rangers are listening to offers for Michael Young. The Rockies are reported to be interested.

As a result of this interest, Adrian Beltre could be the Rangers solution at 3B.

Why do you need a "solution" at a position where you already have one of the best players in baseball at?

The Rangers are listening to offers for Michael Young. The Rockies are reported to be interested.

As a result of this interest, Adrian Beltre could be the Rangers solution at 3B.

Why do you need a "solution" at a position where you already have one of the best players in baseball at?

I am neither Ryan or Jon Daniels, but he is not the best at 3B, as seen in the playoffs. He is also 34 and makes $16M.

DMN's Even Grant discusses the situation

The worst part of the Pena deal for me as Rays fan is that we lose that Golden Glove of Pena's. And it's like salt going in to the wounds that I'm reading the Cubs fans complain. "I wish we had gotten Berkman!" SCREW YOU! You guys got one of the best defensive first basemen out there and you're complaining.

He is one of the worst every day defensive 3Bs, was similarly awful at SS (but somehow won a Gold Glove, call it the Jeter effect), and his bat is in a downward slide. I'm reading now nothing is going to happen, but if the Rangers could have a chance at getting out of that contract, they should.

The worst part of the Pena deal for me as Rays fan is that we lose that Golden Glove of Pena's. And it's like salt going in to the wounds that I'm reading the Cubs fans complain. "I wish we had gotten Berkman!" SCREW YOU! You guys got one of the best defensive first basemen out there and you're complaining.

maybe it's the studly .196 BA he put up last year or the ungodly amount of money they shelled out once again....

maybe it's the studly .196 BA he put up last year or the ungodly amount of money they shelled out once again....

So ignore the glove work? Maybe I'm the minority, but I think based on his glove work alone he's worth every cent of that $10 mil. And I'm perfectly happy being in the minority on that.

You don't pay ten million dollars (five of which are deferred to next year, which will be dead payroll space for 2012) for "glove work alone" at first base. You need hitting out of that position, especially in the National League where we don't have the luxury of a bonus hitter. If you can get a good glove at the position with the lowest fielding responsibility, that's gravy, but you need hitting there. This guy hits below the Mendoza line and he'll be 33 years old in May. Bad signing. Terrible signing, even. If you don't like Cubs fans being dissatisfied with a sub-Mendozan first baseman, kiss my ass.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Player 1: 1 year, $10M - .196/.325/.407, wOBA of .326, WAR of 1, left handed hitter with strong splits. First baseman.

Player 2: 1 year, $2.5M - .272/.395/.438, wOBA of .371, WAR of 2.4, left handed hitter with strong splits. Corner Outfielder, is considered someone who could play first base.

The Mariners made one hell of a signing today, and good god, the Cubs are dumb.

That Hendry wasn't fired the minute new ownership came in was incontrovertible proof that things were only going to get worse with this family of clowns.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived