O.W.N. Logo flops

CS85

own.t1larg.jpg

OWN logo unveiled to negative reviews

The Oprah Winfrey Network doesn't launch until January 1, but already it's stirring up controversy. The channel's official OWN logo was unveiled yesterday to mostly negative reviews.

The neon-sign-like logo is made up of big, bright letters, with a reddish-orange-yellowy "O," a lime green "W," and almost glowing purple "N."

Huffington Post readers commented that the logo resembles an art project crafted by a grammar-school student yet also seems quite appropriate as signage for a Las Vegas strip club.

Meanwhile New York magazine's Vulture writes, "[it] aggressively eschews primary colors (except for the hint of yellow in that onion of an 'O') and embraces serifs, to create a stately fluorescent look that would totally be on the currency of a country started by a gaggle of 9-year-old girls at a slumber party."

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

That really does look like a logo for a second-rate children's network.

Any idea as to what's going to become of Discovery Health's shows once OWN takes over its channel? My wife loves her some Monsters Inside Me and Mystery Diagnosis, as well as the usual Sunday night parade of medical freakshows.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Any idea as to what's going to become of Discovery Health's shows once OWN takes over its channel? My wife loves her some Monsters Inside Me and Mystery Diagnosis, as well as the usual Sunday night parade of medical freakshows.

I doubt much will change with those, just new network lead-ins. I imagine this will be similar to when CourTV became TruTV, only you get to see Orpah's face at the top and bottom of the hour.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I doubt much will change with those, just new network lead-ins. I imagine this will be similar to when CourTV became TruTV, only you get to see Orpah's face at the top and bottom of the hour.

Yeah that what I think may happen but they could still change.

When Discovery Kids became The Hub they put all of their show like The Saddle Club, Tutenstein, Kenny the Shark in the wee hrs.

I think that's the older version.

Can there be an older version of a logo for something that hasn't begun to even use it yet?

Technically they'd both still be conceptual right?

Just sayin...

bufg.png

• 2 weeks later...

The logo seems good enough for the target audience, which I assume will be primarily women.

Yes, because women aren't particularly discerning, nor are they interested in aesthetics.

:blink:

Most people aren't designers, so the aesthetics of a logo aren't nearly as important to them as they would be to the people here, for example. It's not a great logo, but it's not the worst one, either. Like I stated, I think the majority of the target audience will probably see the logo in a largely neutral fashion. Of course there has been some negative feedback, there always is, but has it been shown to represent the majority opinion?

Also, I certainly did not intend for my earlier comment to offend anyone. Sorry if it was interpreted that way.

Archived