Portland Timbers Jersey Leaked

dabest13

"No pity", huh? That uniform is confrontational!

Timbers/Sounders games are going to be pretty wild. For two passive-aggressive cities, their respective fan bases sure do take their soccer seriously. Maybe it's the Euro-fetish building testosterone, or something.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awful. Just awful.

1. Nike is practically next door. The red jerseys from a distance look partially like the Red Bull (or is it Bulls?) adidas' looks are old and tired. (note: adidas clothing in terms of wear and tear is not nearly as good as Nike's stuff. However, both pale in comparison to Falke and Pompea).

2. The nickname of the club is Timbers, correct? They are not the Portland Alaska Airlines Timbers FC?

3. Red? I thought the team colors were gold and green. It would be like the Detroit Lions adding a jersey that is metallic gold and cardinal red.

4. Why isn't the Rose logo incorporated on both jerseys?

5. Corporate jersey sponsorship thing has got to die. Its the norm in Europe. Keep it there. Did the Packers have Acme Packing Company on their jerseys at all? Ever?

6. Heritage. Respect it. Honor it. New jersey? Not so much.

7. Should the jersey be about the team or the sponsor? My Arsenal jerseys are Emerite-less. (Besides, you see how much they charge to fly to say Bangkok versus other airlines?)

8. I am less likely to buy a jersey with a corporate sponsor on it - especially one I dislike (AIG), or one I'll never use (Alaska Airlines) despite my interest in the team.

9. Yeah, I know the argument - no stoppages so no commercials, less revenue, the jersey is a revenue stream, etc. Bullcrap. Be innovative and think of other ways to raise money. A small shoulder/chest patch? OK. that works.

10. Just because someone else is doing it doesn't mean you have to do it.

Keep the jersey clean!!!!!

Awful. Just awful.

1. Nike is practically next door. The red jerseys from a distance look partially like the Red Bull (or is it Bulls?) adidas' looks are old and tired. (note: adidas clothing in terms of wear and tear is not nearly as good as Nike's stuff. However, both pale in comparison to Falke and Pompea).

2. The nickname of the club is Timbers, correct? They are not the Portland Alaska Airlines Timbers FC?

3. Red? I thought the team colors were gold and green. It would be like the Detroit Lions adding a jersey that is metallic gold and cardinal red.

5. Corporate jersey sponsorship thing has got to die. Its the norm in Europe. Keep it there. Did the Packers have Acme Packing Company on their jerseys at all? Ever?

7. Should the jersey be about the team or the sponsor? My Arsenal jerseys are Emerite-less. (Besides, you see how much they charge to fly to say Bangkok versus other airlines?)

8. I am less likely to buy a jersey with a corporate sponsor on it - especially one I dislike (AIG), or one I'll never use (Alaska Airlines) despite my interest in the team.

9. Yeah, I know the argument - no stoppages so no commercials, less revenue, the jersey is a revenue stream, etc. Bullcrap. Be innovative and think of other ways to raise money. A small shoulder/chest patch? OK. that works.

acmepackers1921.jpg

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Okay, you win. Made me spit out my coffee.

I really like these uniforms, and i wanna root for these guys (until the Cosmos come back), but they way Portland's animal fans reacted to a logo unveiling, and their absolute classless behavior and unwillingness to accept anything but what they felt should be the logo for a team they do not own has put me off liking this franchise.

See, that passion for the game and the club made me love Timbers fans. I was going to become a fan of the club just because of that passion, but the fact that we're getting our own club soon has made me decide to wait for them.

Sure, they made a fuss at a rally. They didn't start a riot, they didn't burn a police car, they just yelled and screamed and made their voices heard. That's what fans are supposed to do.

Sure, they made a fuss at a rally. They didn't start a riot, they didn't burn a police car, they just yelled and screamed and made their voices heard. That's what fans are supposed to do.

They did a little more than that.

Listen, i'm a NYC-Area sports fan. I'm all for having your voice heard and being loud and obnoxious... but verbally assaulting the owner in the streets, over what was not a bad logo? Maybe they should have just left the team playing in the USL and they could keep their s**tty logo...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Awful. Just awful.

Fact is that Adidas has the MLS contract. If you play in MLS you have to wear Adidas.

Portland's nickname is the Rose City. The change kit (which will primarily be worn on the road when they're representing the city) reflects the civic identity. When partnered with the home kit, which reflects the team's identity, it's a neat combination.

Only the change kit is playing up the Rose City theme. Hence the rose patch only appearing on the change kit.

Did the Packers have Acme Packing Company on their jerseys at all? Ever?

Yes, they did.

Every team is going to get a new uniform when moving up a league. I'm sure there are plenty of Timbers fans who have various versions of past jerseys. If they just kept an old design, where would the incentive be to buy a new one for the fans?

You can try to be innovative, and risk it not working and losing millions, or you can go with what works and get your guaranteed money. MLS is a niche league. They don't have the luxury of being able to take chances when it comes to revenue. If a chance doesn't work as well as they need it to they may find themselves in a financial hole. By sticking with revenue producing techniques that have proven to work (like shirt sponsorships front and centre) they're guaranteeing a consistent revenue stream.

5. Corporate jersey sponsorship thing has got to die. Its the norm in Europe. Keep it there.

Out of a ten point post, six of them specifically had to do with jersey sponsorship. That's not counting your final "Keep the jerseys clean!!!111oneoneleven" line. If that was your main reason for posting, just post about how you don't like jersey sponsors. Don't post a poorly inflated list.

You don't like shirt sponsors. Ok. Good for you. That's the way soccer teams operate, however, and most of us recognize that and don't mind it. Go watch tapes of NASL or old MLS matches if they bother you that much.

They did a little more than that.

Listen, i'm a NYC-Area sports fan. I'm all for having your voice heard and being loud and obnoxious... but verbally assaulting the owner in the streets, over what was not a bad logo? Maybe they should have just left the team playing in the USL and they could keep their s**tty logo...

Reports I heard were that Paulson confronted them, over their reaction to the logo. At the very least, he escalated the situation.

"Verbal assault?" I don't know that a two-way shouting match really qualifies.

So pumped for the red jersey. I'm glad they did that. The name was always fitting to me for a team there and so, I'm glad they've embraced it.

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

Many soccer teams have clash kits that are not their team colors--the point is to clash with the opponents' kits when they are too close in color to the primary kit, and the easiest way to do that is to have kits that are different colors than the primary. While the MLS tends to do this by sticking to the American tradition of having a colored set and a white set in the same color scheme, Portland chose to follow an established soccer tradition.

barcelonaaway200910.jpgnew-arsenal-away-shirt-2009-10.jpg

As an aside, I think there are way too many white soccer kits in MLS. Off the top of my head, Red Bull NY, LA Galaxy, RSL, Chicago, DC Utd, Houston, New England, and San Jose all have white kits.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

That's 2 people now who has complained about jersey sponsorship. You know what? I respect that you don't like it, but it happens in soccer around the world, not just Europe.

My local division 3 team has it, hell, the team I play for in a co-op rec indoor league has it (it's how we paid for our jerseys) firefly can attest to this (he made our team logo and I sent him one for compensation) they are not fancy at all!!

It's just how it goes in the world of soccer, I respect that you dislike it but you need to get used to it.

P.S. JQK, awesome find on the Acme Packers pic, I was looking for that myself.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

WHO CARES ABOUT ESTABLISHED SOCCER TRADITIONS THIS IS AMERICA WHERE ALL THINGS THAT DON'T START AND END IN AMERICA ARE STUPID LOOK AT SOCCER NOBODY LIKES SOCCER EXCEPT EUROTRASH WHO CALL IT FOOTBALL WHEN WE ALL KNOW THAT THE REAL FOOTBALL THAT CAME FIRST IS THE ONE THAT BRETT FARBVE INVENTED IN 1965 DURING THE SUPERBOWL AND ADVERTISEMENTS ON JERSEYS ARE TRASHY JUST LIKE EUROPE FIND BETTER SOURCES OF REVENUE I DON'T LIKE IT IT LOOKS LIKE ITS EURPOEAN AND IT WOULD LOOK BETTER IF THE TEAM CREST WAS BIGGER AND ON FRONT OF THE SHIRT AND THE PLAYERS WORE HELMETS AND WHEN PELE INVENTED THE FORWARD PASS Jesus Christ, it's hard to pretend to think like that, let alone actually believe any of it.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

But damn, do I hate putting the American flag on there. Crass, inappropriate and classless.

How is it inappropriate?

I'm not sure I would have used Gothamite's words, but I do think it's completely unnecessary. It's not a national team; it's a club.

It's a direct violation of the US Flag Code.

§176(j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform.

I know that the Flag Code is not law, but still. Making a flag a permanent part of a uniform is simply inappropriate. There are other ways of getting the point across that are appropriate for a sports uniform:

4416550237_a11e61cc3a_o.jpg

I'm not opposed to the use of patriotic imagery, only the use of a flag.

But damn, do I hate putting the American flag on there. Crass, inappropriate and classless.

How is it inappropriate?

I've always disliked it.

It violates the flag code.

While the flag code is only advisory, it does establish a standard of respect that should be followed.

Section 8(j) states "No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart."

National teams can use the flag on an athletic uniform because they represent the nation. It should never be used on any other uniform.

Based on what you posted, I'm not sure if you can say it is violation. The first part about it not being used as an athletic uniform I interpret as meaning one shouldn't cut up the flag to make the uniform itself. Well in this case it isn't that, it is a patch that is allowed in certain situations.

Now for the second part what exactly encompasses a "patriotic organization." That is a vague and broad term. I would say that would include any group representing the USA. A soccer team that takes part in international competitions falls into that category in my view. Obviously this part to me is a tougher argument.

I'm a big fan of sponsors on shirts (just seems like real soccer). That being said, not a fan of the clunky stacked treatment of Alaska Airlines. Would look much better if it only said Alaska or AlaskaAir all on one line. Maybe it's just because I'm a designers but I think seeing Alaska in the custom script, says Alaska Airlines by default. Maybe not.

OK Ice Cap, you win. Happy?

Let me make these points though.

MLS is a "loose" league. If say a German multinational took over, say Kansas City, and they wanted Falke involved, I'm sure Falke is in and adidas is out. Its all about the money with Garber, and if Falke throws a bundle at the MLS, adidas wouldn't touch the team's jersey.

I hate to sound "American" but in this country they are jerseys and uniforms, not kits and shirts.

The Timbers are playing in Portland, right? The Rose logo goes on all jerseys - home, away, thirds, heritage, whatever.

Show me a picture where a Packers' jersey said Acme. How about the Bears, oopps I mean the Stayles?

Having a completely different colored jersey defeats the purpose of an identity. Example:

Smart: Cologne Centurions: City color: red

Smart: New York Mets: Heritage: giants, orange, dodgers, blue. NY State colors: blue and orange

Smart: New England Revolution: r/w/b.

Dumb: Portland Alaska Airlines Timbers FC. If city's colors are rose or red, ditch the green/gold. Or mix green for trees, red/rose for city, add gold or silver.

Dumb: Washington Federals: Green, silver, black.

As far as innovation goes, please see Jones, Jerry. Whether the NFL liked it or not, he created a marketing powerhouse by signing Pepsi, Nike and others outside the NFL's shield. Need I remind you we live in the age of the internet and smart phone? Many more avenues available than just shameless jersey sponsoring.

For the millionth time, I was not a big NASL fan. I was a Cosmos fan. We had great rivalries with Portland, Seattle and Rochester. I couldn't care less about the Surf, Tea Men, Hurricanes and other clubs.

Again, I'm all for innovation, but shameless plugging of companies for money on jerseys? Awful.

(Side note: NBA refused to allow Vancouver Grizzlies to become Memphis Express. I wonder why. . . . .)

MLS is a "loose" league. If say a German multinational took over, say Kansas City, and they wanted Falke involved, I'm sure Falke is in and adidas is out. Its all about the money with Garber, and if Falke throws a bundle at the MLS, adidas wouldn't touch the team's jersey.

No it's not. Adidas has the rights to outfit the entire league. They had a 10 deal and extended it last year. Same way Reebok has the NHL, Adidas has the NBA and Nike has the NFL (next year).

I hate to sound "American" but in this country they are jerseys and uniforms, not kits and shirts.

You don't sound American. You sound ignorant. I'm an american and I refer to soccer uniforms as kits and shirts. It's the vernacular of the sport.

I could go on and refute the rest of your "arguments", but I fear it's not worth my time.

patriotssignature.png

Let me make these points though.

No, that wouldn't be the case at all. MLS has a contract with Adidas. Until that contract is up all MLS teams have to use Adidas.

Like Beantown said, you don't sound American. You sound woefully ignorant of the world around you.

The Timbers are playing in Portland, right? The Rose logo goes on all jerseys - home, away, thirds, heritage, whatever.

No, only the change kit plays up the Rose City theme, hence it's the one that gets the rose patch.

Show me a picture where a Packers' jersey said Acme. How about the Bears, oopps I mean the Stayles?

JQK posted one earlier in the thread. For your convenience I'll repost it here.

acmepackers1921.jpg

Having a completely different colored jersey defeats the purpose of an identity. Example:

Smart: Cologne Centurions: City color: red

Smart: New York Mets: Heritage: giants, orange, dodgers, blue. NY State colors: blue and orange

Smart: New England Revolution: r/w/b.

Dumb: Portland Alaska Airlines Timbers FC. If city's colors are rose or red, ditch the green/gold. Or mix green for trees, red/rose for city, add gold or silver.

Dumb: Washington Federals: Green, silver, black.

I disagree. There's a long standing tradition in soccer when it comes to using a clash kit that's a completely different colour scheme then the primary kit. The Timbers used this tradition to introduce a uniform that plays up the civic identity to go along with the team-centric design of the primary kit. It's brilliantly balanced.

As far as innovation goes, please see Jones, Jerry. Whether the NFL liked it or not, he created a marketing powerhouse by signing Pepsi, Nike and others outside the NFL's shield. Need I remind you we live in the age of the internet and smart phone? Many more avenues available than just shameless jersey sponsoring.

Jerry Jones owns one of, if not the, most valuable sporting franchises in the United States. He has an untold amount of capital at his command. He could afford to take risks when it came to increasing revenue. If one or two of his gambles didn't pay off, no biggie. He'll make it back and then some by the end of next football season. MLS teams do not have that luxury. The sport and league have niche statuses in the United States and Canada. They don't have the vast amount of money the Cowboys have that would allow them to take risks and abandon guaranteed revenue generating techniques for untested ones.

As for the internet and smart phones the last WGA strike should have clued you into the fact that advertising on the web is still in its infancy.

For the millionth time, I was not a big NASL fan. I was a Cosmos fan. We had great rivalries with Portland, Seattle and Rochester. I couldn't care less about the Surf, Tea Men, Hurricanes and other clubs.

For not being a NASL fan you seem to desperately want to see MLS turn itself into the NASL 2.0, resurrecting its old names, uniforms, and business practices. Despite the fact that NASL was a horrible failure.

Again, I'm all for innovation, but shameless plugging of companies for money on jerseys? Awful.

No, it's not awful. It's how soccer works. Don't allow commercials during the game? Then you sell ad space on the shirts to make up for the lost revenue. That's how it is in soccer. If you don't like it, fine. You're allowed. Just don't post rambling diatribes about it like some bitter old man who's pissed off things are different now then how they were when you were a kid.

Archived