Broncos Planning to Switch to Orange Jerseys Full Time

number81

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've said it on "The People's Denver Broncos Concept" (or whatever it's called) thread, and I'll say it here again--the Denver Broncos look most identifiable when they wear white pants only. Many concepts I've seen here on these boards that have royal blue and orange pants look too close to the Boise State Broncos

i dont think the market spans that wide. i mean how many people are going to flip through the channels and say "hey, are the Chiefs playing Boise?" or mistake a Boise St sweater for Denver. as many schools as there is, its nearly impossible to seperate pro color schemes from all 200+ schools.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

I've said it on "The People's Denver Broncos Concept" (or whatever it's called) thread, and I'll say it here again--the Denver Broncos look most identifiable when they wear white pants only. Many concepts I've seen here on these boards that have royal blue and orange pants look too close to the Boise State Broncos

i dont think the market spans that wide. i mean how many people are going to flip through the channels and say "hey, are the Chiefs playing Boise?" or mistake a Boise St sweater for Denver. as many schools as there is, its nearly impossible to seperate pro color schemes from all 200+ schools.

For me it's much less an issue of confusion and much more an issue of aesthetics. In my opinion, the Broncos have seldom looked good in colored pants, at home or on the road, and belong in white pants no matter if the jersey is blue or orange. </biased personal opinion not based in fact>

Also, to throw in my $0.02, a switch to orange is exactly what is needed to re-energize the depleted fanbase after this travesty of a season, and while I'd be okay with a complete overhaul, just switching to the current orange alt full-time would also get the job done.

2011 Colorado Rockies | Season from Hell

sig_11.png

So after 2011, they'll switch to what is now the orange alts? Good idea. The Broncos should have orange as their primary color. But as someone else mentioned, then they'll be back to how it was in the 70s/80s when the road uniforms had orange only as a trim color.

If they'd get rid of the swooshes, the current (blue/white/alt) would look fine.

For me it's much less an issue of confusion and much more an issue of aesthetics. In my opinion, the Broncos have seldom looked good in colored pants, at home or on the road, and belong in white pants no matter if the jersey is blue or orange. </biased personal opinion not based in fact>

Also, to throw in my $0.02, a switch to orange is exactly what is needed to re-energize the depleted fanbase after this travesty of a season, and while I'd be okay with a complete overhaul, just switching to the current orange alt full-time would also get the job done.

You're right, NFL teams can't worry about matching general schemes of umpteen NCAA teams. There's only so many combinations. But Denver/Boise State is a unique case, as they're both blue and orange teams named "Broncos", each with a horse on their helmet. For me, it's not that too many would confuse pro and college games/teams with one another, but that there's just too much they have in common--especially if Denver went to blue pants.

As for what was said about Denver's most identifiable look, that's absolutely right. I'm a 33 year old guy in an NFC city who didn't see a whole ton of the Broncos growing up--until the playoffs rolled around, that is. But to me, they'll always belong in blue helmets, orange jerseys and white pants.

I'm still not quite sure why the NFL requires an extra year of notice. You'd think that if the Broncos notified the league in December 2010, they could make the switch happen in time for 2011 season, especially if the plan is to switch the current alternate to the full time home jersey. Maybe they'll come up with a whole new design in partnership with Nike once again.

It takes a long time to change all of the league-produced marketing materials, as well as approve the designs, and deal with the merchandisers, so they need as much heads up as possible. That being said, simply switching primary/alt designations shouldn't be this big of a deal - not sure how much lead time the Falcons gave when they switched the black for red. I'd wager that they're doing a total redesign.

If the Broncos do a redesign it would be nice to modernize the old 'D' helmets and orange jerseys, as opposed to something new. The chargers did a nice job of modernizing their look but unfortunately they didn't have the balls to make their powder blues their primary unis. Hopefully they will wise up and change that real soon because the navy jerseys are just terrible. I can see the Broncos going back to royal and orange but with navy trim.

Here are all of the various Oranges the Broncos have used over the years (at least, in print):

DenverBroncosOrange_1964_SOL_SRGB.pngDenverBroncosOrange_1976_SOL_SRGB.pngDenverBroncosOrange_1998_SOL_SRGB.pngDenverBroncosOrange_2001_SOL_SRGB.pngDenverBroncosOrange_9999_SOL_SRGB.png

The first one is an estimate of mine based on photographic evidence (which as we all know, sometimes can't be trusted). The second one (1965 through 1976) is also an estimate, but is extremely accurate due to measurements performed by me (!) on some official logosheets. The third one (1977 through 1998) was used both in the last "D" logo set, and was carried through for the first two seasons of the redesign.

Personally, I think the Red-Orange (Burnt Orange) from the 1965 through 1976 seasons would be a nice color to utilize moving forward. It would be unique in the league, and would also be a nod to the past.

I can also post the various shades of Blue if anyone cares...

Maybe it's just what I grew up with, but I think that 1977-98 is awfully classic and unique; something about the red tinge makes it really pop in an electric kind of way.

Actually, it reminds me of the Charlotte Bobcats unis, which I also loved; how similar are those in reality?

• 1 month later...

Posted February 4, 2011, 2:36 pm MT

Broncos want orange uniform jerseys for 2012, if NFL approves

By Mike Klis

Dallas ? The Broncos are talking with the NFL regarding making their alternative, burnt-orange color their full-time home jersey beginning with the 2012 season.

League approval, or rejection, may come during the NFL owners meetings in March. For now the league has not officially set the league meetings out of sensitivity to the collective bargaining agreement negotiations.

Team surveys show Broncos fans are ready for a change. If the league approves, the burnt-orange color would be the home jersey for eight or nine of the 10 games.

The dark blue jersey, which had been the home jersey since the 1997 season, would be worn in one or two games.

Denver Post

"Mr. President, call in the National Guard! Send as many men as you can spare! Because we are killing the Patriots! They need emergency help!" - Shannon Sharpe

They dont know what burnt orange is, do they?

Well, once a team uses a color name, it's hard to shake it. Just ask the Browns - they haven't used "seal brown" in years, but it still shows up in stories and posts.

And "Forum Blue"...it's been been called (officially) Royal Purple for 30 years now, but people keep referring to it as Forum Blue.

I bristle at the plan to wear blue once or twice anyway. If you're going to reaffirm the orange at home, you have to fully commit. Are you an orange team again or aren't you?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I bristle at the plan to wear blue once or twice anyway. If you're going to reaffirm the orange at home, you have to fully commit. Are you an orange team again or aren't you?

That's just saying the current blues will be relegated to alternates. Nothing to question commitment about.

That's just saying the current blues will be relegated to alternates. Nothing to question commitment about.

I know what they're saying, and I'm saying that if you're going to rebrand yourself--which this would be--you need to make a clean break. Otherwise, there's still a sense of ambiguity as to whether the Broncos have gone back to orange or if they're just wearing orange sometimes and blue sometimes. They'd be, in a sense, wearing 1997-2011 throwbacks, and you can't throw back to last year. One of the things I hate most about third jerseys is how one inevitably creeps into regular rotation and shunts the other one back, and your identity becomes a mishmash. The NHL, as with every ill in professional sports, is the worst offender. Even after a leaguewide redesign, there's still a host of mismatched teams.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I know what they're saying, and I'm saying that if you're going to rebrand yourself--which this would be--you need to make a clean break. Otherwise, there's still a sense of ambiguity as to whether the Broncos have gone back to orange or if they're just wearing orange sometimes and blue sometimes. They'd be, in a sense, wearing 1997-2011 throwbacks, and you can't throw back to last year. One of the things I hate most about third jerseys is how one inevitably creeps into regular rotation and shunts the other one back, and your identity becomes a mishmash. The NHL, as with every ill in professional sports, is the worst offender. Even after a leaguewide redesign, there's still a host of mismatched teams.

Do the Falcons have this problem?

They dont know what burnt orange is, do they?

No . . . they don't

Only 'real' burnt orange I know of is the color that the Univ. of Texas Longhorns wear :grin:

U. of Texas-Austin Burnt Orange for comparison:

TexasUOf-AustinOrange_9999_SOL_SRGB.png

To be fair, this color has changed some over the years, but I believe this one is the more "traditional" one.

Archived