Jersey change on the horizon for the Flames?

number9hockey

Browsing the nhl websites today and was on Calgary's page when I notices all of the backgrounds were of their vintage 3rd jersey and a few away whites. Refreshed the pages a few times seeing if I'd get there current home but never did. Is it a sign of the future direction of their uniforms?

Browsing the nhl websites today and was on Calgary's page when I notices all of the backgrounds were of their vintage 3rd jersey and a few away whites. Refreshed the pages a few times seeing if I'd get there current home but never did. Is it a sign of the future direction of their uniforms?

I think you're reading way too much into that. I believe they're wearing their retro thirds against Montreal on New Year's Eve, so that's probably the only reason.

I think you're reading way too much into that. I believe they're wearing their retro thirds against Montreal on New Year's Eve, so that's probably the only reason.

Very much could be, however I've never heard of teams changing theirs backgrounds just for a game in which their wearing their 3rd. My speculation is based on the same as Florida who has done that same, and it is much noted their desire to make the switch to their thirds.

homeroadjerseys.jpg

What your looking at right here are two of the worst designed jerseys ever worn in the history of the NHL period. When these monstrosities are finally dead and buried they will be in the same class as the Ducks "Wildwing," the Kings "Burger King," or the Canucks "Flying V" among the ugliest designs of all time. Here are a few reasons to hate these jerseys...

01) Flags on the Shoulders

These are the tackiest laziest excuses for secondary logos I have ever seen in my life. They look like something that belongs in a European League. Nowhere in the Flames 30 year history have their jerseys featured the colour Blue and it looks ridiculous, especially on the Red jersey where it bleeds in. Even worse is the fact that they put a white outline around the Canadian one but didn't bother to give the blue the same treatment. This would at least eliminate the contrast issue.

02) Pick a striping pattern and stick with it.

On the side panels and sleeves you have (Black, White, Yellow, Black), on the hemline you have (Red, White, Yellow), on the front you have thin black piping that arbitrarily stops for no reason and on the socks you have (Red, Black, White, Yellow, Red). Could it be any more incongruent?

03) Lace up collars on a contemporary design.

Lace ups work fine of vintage jerseys. On futuristic ones like these they look forced.

Frankly I dont care if they go the vintage route or design something new with the Black "C" as long as these hideous clownsuits never see the light of day again. A redesign was due two years ago.

say what you want about their edge jerseys but they beat the heck out of these:

cgys-jokinen.jpg

I HATE how teams like the Flames, Oilers, and Islanders are going back to old uniforms. They are so freaking boring, and there's a reason they stopped using them. This is the 2010s not the 1970s. Modern is better

I HATE how teams like the Flames, Oilers, and Islanders are going back to old uniforms. They are so freaking boring, and there's a reason they stopped using them. This is the 2010s not the 1970s.

And there is a reason they are going back to them. The Edge uniforms for all three of these teams were horrible.

Modern is better

No, "better" is better. The fact that a design is retro or modern, isn't what makes it good.

The edge uniforms for those 3 teams are/were horrible, but the vintage uniforms they might be going back to are no better. All 3 teams would be better off just going back to their design just before the switchover if not a completely new set altogether.

say what you want about their edge jerseys but they beat the heck out of these:

cgys-jokinen.jpg

I HATE how teams like the Flames, Oilers, and Islanders are going back to old uniforms. They are so freaking boring, and there's a reason they stopped using them. This is the 2010s not the 1970s. Modern is better

Incorrect.

Montreal is playing Florida on NYE and Calgary is playing Colorado.

sig.png

2, 1, 3. That middle one is modern and interesting without being a complete cluster-eff like the current ones.

Seconded. The 90's one with the diagonal stripe comes in second last

Unseconded. The pestedal jersey is the worst by far. The current jersey needs to be replaced by the 2003-2007 design, with the Alberta shield replacing the Alberta flag.

200px-Shield_of_Alberta_svg.png

The Canadian flag could be replaced by the coat of arms of the city of Calgary.

calgary_city_coa_n10426.gif

As well, I would advocate using the current throwback 3rds 10 times a year, plus the Heritage Classic jersey once a year for New Year's Eve or Hockey Day in Canada.

2, 1, 3. That middle one is modern and interesting without being a complete cluster-eff like the current ones.

Unseconded. The pestedal jersey is the worst by far. The current jersey needs to be replaced by the 2003-2007 design, with the Alberta shield replacing the Alberta flag.

200px-Shield_of_Alberta_svg.png

The Canadian flag could be replaced by the coat of arms of the city of Calgary.

calgary_city_coa_n10426.gif

As well, I would advocate using the current throwback 3rds 10 times a year, plus the Heritage Classic jersey once a year for New Year's Eve or Hockey Day in Canada.

No, No and No.

The two biggest issues people have with the flags are the following

A ) Using Provincial and National flags as secondary logos is terribly unoriginal and creatively bankrupt. Good secondary logos should incorporate the team name and the civic aspect. Like the flaming horse head did.

B ) The colours of the Alberta flag clash with the Flames Red, Yellow & Black identity creating an awful "rainbow effect."

Not only does your idea not fix these problems, it exacerbates them. At least the Canadian flag fits the colour scheme. Making the Calgary Coat of arms a shoulder patch would add even more unnecessary colours to the Flames palette and too many fine details would be lost during embroidery process. Also the Heritage Classic jerseys look hideous. Its bad enough they're using them for one game.

...the Heritage Classic jerseys look hideous. Its bad enough they're using them for one game.

This coming from a fan of the Captain Highliner Islanders jersey. :rolleyes:

I can understand why you disagree about my idea about the use of the coat of arms. I wouldn't mind a return to the flaming snot horse as a shoulder patch, but I'm sure you'll disagree with that too.

Florida has had players in their third jersey since at least the summer so it has nothing to do with the fact that they may be wearing them

Or this:

474.jpg

That one I like.

If you straighten out that one stripe, you actually have a pretty sweet jersey.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12,Β POTD 2/26/17

Β 

Archived