2011 MLS Kits

AJM

I really wish someone who cared bought the Revs and gave them a good re-doing of their identity. "Revolution" is a good name but the crest is just horrible and either put a sponsor there or leave it blank for crying out loud.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Revolution need to be the next MLS team to get a massive identity overhaul.

It sounds like a minor league team in the 90's. The entire team is sort of a remnant of what the MLS used to be - a minor league name with an awful logo, the team name on the front of the jersey, playing in an NFL stadium.

Granted, I'd hate for them to go with a European knockoff name like Real Salt Lake or Sporting KC, but something like Boston Beacons (the old NASL team name), New England F.C., Boston F.C., Boston Pilgrims... all of those would be miles better than "New England Revolution."

1923 1927 1928 1932 1936 1937 1938 1939 1941 1943 1947 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1956 1958 1961 1962 1977 1978 1996 1998 1999 2000 2009

It sounds like a minor league team in the 90's. The entire team is sort of a remnant of what the MLS used to be - a minor league name with an awful logo, the team name on the front of the jersey, playing in an NFL stadium.

Granted, I'd hate for them to go with a European knockoff name like Real Salt Lake or Sporting KC, but something like Boston Beacons (the old NASL team name), New England F.C., Boston F.C., Boston Pilgrims... all of those would be miles better than "New England Revolution."

I actually think Revolution is one of the best names of the original MLS and works well for either a European or AMerican Soccer team.

I actually think Revolution is one of the best names of the original MLS and works well for either a European or AMerican Soccer team.

I think if they decide to rebrand maybe they should drop New England from the name and be FC Revolution or Revolution FC... I think its time to drop using the Patriots color palette too..

Much like the SporKCs Wizards, the Revs have had that name for a long time; I think it would be a bad move to drop it to go with a trendy Euro-esque name.

That said, they've needed an identity overhaul for a long time. Keep the colors, but lose pretty much everything else.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Much like the SporKCs Wizards, the Revs have had that name for a long time; I think it would be a bad move to drop it to go with a trendy Euro-esque name.

That said, they've needed an identity overhaul for a long time. Keep the colors, but lose pretty much everything else.

Agreed...keep the name and colors intact, but update the unis.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

Being a Revolution season ticket holder for 15 years now, I've become attached to the name.

But the general concensus amongst the fanbase is that the logo and identity need an overhaul. Certain factions in the front office agree.

That said, the sentiment is that the Revs are holding off on a revamp until they can confirm their new stadium situation so they can effectively relaunch at that time. Sad part is that none of us know how long that will be (latest estimates have it during 2014 or 2015). And frankly, that is too far away to keep the current identity going without completely becoming irrelevant.

And make no mistake, when last years' kit was launched and featured the silver/gray sleeve patches, there was an outcry that the Revs were further blurring the line between them and the Kraft's other tennant at Gillette.

Brian in Boston, care to chime in as well?

patriotssignature.png

Revolution may need a logo change into a more of a crest logo to fit in with the rest of the league. They would probably be best to incorporate their current logo into a crest.

That said Revolution is an alight name. I think you can get away with a singular in soccer. They don't need to be dropping 15-16 years of history.

Union jersey was already posted.

Agree on the Revolution overhaul. I have always liked Revolution 1776 or reverting to Boston Rovers.

I like the Revolution 1776 name. It would work well with starting a rivalry with the Philly Union called the Colonial Cup!

Revolution may need a logo change into a more of a crest logo to fit in with the rest of the league. They would probably be best to incorporate their current logo into a crest.

That said Revolution is an alight name. I think you can get away with a singular in soccer. They don't need to be dropping 15-16 years of history.

Bingo. Their logo right now sticks out like a bad thumb. If there's a sports team that has badly needed some sort of change, then the Revs are probably near the top of that list. That logo was outdated a decade ago.

On the subject of rebrands - I would have to also suggest :

- San Jose. Earthquake name doesn't fit w/ MLS 2.0 - crest is horrid. Would suggest going w/ San Jose Athletic Club and have the fans simply refer to them as the earthquakes.

- Chivas USA - LA Galaxy little sister w/ little to no fan support. Would recommend taking Lalas' suggestion and go w/ Hollywood United or else move to San Diego

- Crew - name is alright - need new crest desperately along w/ new stadium.

On the subject of rebrands - I would have to also suggest :

- San Jose. Earthquake name doesn't fit w/ MLS 2.0 - crest is horrid.

- Chivas USA - LA Galaxy little sister w/ little to no fan support. Would recommend taking Lala's suggestion and go w/ Hollywood United or else move to San Diego

- Crew - name is alright - need new crest desperately along w/ new stadium.

They must stick with Earthquakes. Crest could definitely be better.

Chivas definitely needs a rebrand and a new location.

Crew needs a new crest.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Agreed, I always thought Revolution FC would be a cool name. Generally I don't like when MLS teams go for European-style names, but that one could work.

How on Earth would that be considered a "European-style name"?

Because it's like Arsenal FC or Juventus. A name with no connection to the location in which the team plays, as opposed to the American model of [location] [nicknames].

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Agreed, I always thought Revolution FC would be a cool name. Generally I don't like when MLS teams go for European-style names, but that one could work.

How on Earth would that be considered a "European-style name"?

Because it's like Arsenal FC or Juventus. A name with no connection to the location in which the team plays, as opposed to the American model of [location] [nicknames].

Last time I checked New England has a lot to do with the location of the word "Revolution"

Okay, "no connection" was a bad way of phrasing it, but you know what I mean. There's a difference between New England Revolution (usual American-style team name, location + nickname, even if the nickname is singular in this case) and Revolution Football Club (no mention of location, more in common with some team names in Europe and South America). Can we have a discussion without being pedantic about it?

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Archived