2011 MLS Kits

AJM

Not being pendantic - Arsenal is named after the first place they played, and Juventus is something of an outlier.

I understand what you mean about severing the (sigh) Revolution from the "city+nickname" pattern, but that doesn't strike me as a particularly European influence.

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Revolution 1776 has a nice ring to it, but clubs with years in the name typically refer to the year the club itself was founded, no?

Some, not all. Look at Houston's original proposed name, for example.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Revolution 1776 has a nice ring to it, but clubs with years in the name typically refer to the year the club itself was founded, no?

Revolution 1776 has a good ring, but wouldnt that turn off all the Brits from following the club? /sarcasm

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Asked the same question (though privately) then...

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

I wouldn't be opposed to a name like "Revolution SC". Maybe they can accompany it with a move to a more proper facility, one they might have a better chance of selling out (like Rentschler Field?) I agree the colors could stay the same though, but a change probably would be best. In addition, maybe they could get CVS Caremark to sponsor them?

LvZYtbZ.png

Bad news, MLS will be wearing the sports bras vs United. Saw the back of them when Ferguson and Garber were making the announcement today.It's the Sounders template with gold instead of silver bra straps with red sleeve stripes and collar.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Bad news, MLS will be wearing the sports bras vs United. Saw the back of them when Ferguson and Garber were making the announcement today.It's the Sounders template with gold instead of silver bra straps with red sleeve stripes and collar.

I still can't figure out why they can't make the bra straps the same color as the jersey. I mean, I'm sure there are interesting, high tech things in my Mac but Apple doesn't feel the need to show them.

Yes, but thankfully we didn't get stuck with that nonsense. Number names leave a bad taste in my mouth (why do I keep sticking thier names in there?).

Revolution FC sounds great. Revolution 1776 sounds like the screen name of a guy arguing on a forum about his right to carry a AK-27 into a Starbucks. of course a badass logo makes any name much better (ex: Texans).

I have no clue about the straps either. They ate semi hidden on LA, DC United and Fire uniforms. But with the All Stars and Seattle it's like they are showing off a new style of jersey instead of making a good looking kit.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Revolution FC sounds great. Revolution 1776 sounds like the screen name of a guy arguing on a forum about his right to carry a AK-27 into a Starbucks. of course a badass logo makes any name much better (ex: Texans).

I'm a gun owner, and I still find that hilarious.

:P

It's really stupid to label a team as a "football club" when they play in Major League Soccer. Name them ___________ S.C. and leave it at that.

While you bring up a good point, I'd disagree. Football and soccer are equally acceptable since both are used widely for the sport here in the USA. In fact, contrary to what I had thought, the term soccer apparently originated in England as slang for football so it's not even a USA term.

As far as I know there is no equivalent in other sports. There is no equally accepted alternate names for baseball or basketball. So, football/soccer is unique. Just my take.

Frankly, the New England Revolution name is fine as is. The place-name reflects the fact that the team represents all six of the region's states in Major League Soccer. The team name speaks to both the leadership role that New England colonists played in fomenting rebellion leading up to and during the American Revolution, as well as the fact that the team's investor/operator - Bob Kraft - is also owner of the National Football League's similarly-themed New England Patriots.

Where the Revolution brand falls short is in its visual elements, particularly the graffiti-like flag icon. It was never the greatest of logos to begin with and it has only become more dated with the passage of time. A more badge-like crest would be most welcome... and go a long way towards improving the Revolution's overall brand.

To date, the best New England Revolution badge/crest/logo I've seen is this one created by logoman...

New England Revolution badge concept

Clean. Traditional with a modern flair. I like the way that the six star-shaped panels on the ball pay homage to the six New England states. The wordmark font speaks to the Revolutionary War era without being as cloying as the Revolution's current wordmark. Maybe - maybe - you could have the banner/ribbon element on which "New England Revolution" is written wrap back around from left to right over the bottom of the shield (though, thinner) and contain "est. 1996". Still, that could be overkill. The badge is damned beautiful as is.

That's all that the New England Revolution identity needs in my estimation. Nothing more. No dropping of the New England place-name. No swapping-out New England for Boston, even if the franchise someday relocates to a soccer-specific stadium closer to the city. No poseur's solution such as switching to Revolution 1776 or Revolution FC. No wholesale changing of the team's identity. Simply wed New England Revolution to a well-designed badge and be done with it.

Holy crap, that crest is awesome.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Archived