NHL 2011-2012: Possible Uniform Changes

uah8tr

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watching the Flyers-Sabres game this week, couldnt help but notice how dull and dated the dark blue/silver is already for Buffalo. With the new ownership making many changes, and also showing appreciation for the team's past, what are the chances we see them go completely retro in the next few years?

I have hypothesized this. The new owner is an actual fan of the team... he had season tickets in the late 70's or early 80's sometime. He cried when he saw Gilbert Perreault at the press conference to announce him as owner. I figure he HAS to be nostalgic for the royal blue and gold. Also note: the royal blue 40th anniversary thirds were only supposed to be around for last season. New owner took over this spring, and now they stay around for another season. Maybe a way to keep them in royal blue while you get approval for a change from the NHL? I'm not gonna say that it will definitely happen next season, but with the new owner and more teams in general going back to brighter colors, I think it will definitely happen sometime soon.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there is a licensing / legal issue preventing the Sabres from using their vintage logo with those brighter colors. A previous owner / corporation owns the rights, and I believe this is the middle ground that can be reached between wanting to go vintage and abiding by a legal precedent. Maybe I'm wrong. I thought the third was offered as a way to give the fans what they want (royal and yellow) while not placing the vintage logo on it. Unless the league feels there's some sort of conflict between St. Louis and Buffalo having the same basic palette. Dunno.

Yeah, this isn't like the Thrashers, where you have essentially a defunct team and the new owners had no interest in the team marks.

I'm not even sure how that would work; you're buying the team and all its assets, except for this one logo in one specific color scheme. Bizarre.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there is a licensing / legal issue preventing the Sabres from using their vintage logo with those brighter colors. A previous owner / corporation owns the rights, and I believe this is the middle ground that can be reached between wanting to go vintage and abiding by a legal precedent. Maybe I'm wrong.

That doesn't sound right at all.

And the third is only worn eight times this year, so it's pretty much in phase-out mode it seems.

The Sabres used their old logo throughout 2006-07 and there didn't seem to be a problem. I'm sure the NHL has been selling vintage Sabres stuff for some time now, too.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Do the Rangers wear different pants with thier third uniforms? On the surface they look the same as the regular home/away pants, but for some reason upon closer inspection, they look darker to me.

No idea, but I also don't know why the Rangers take so much crap for those third jerseys. They looked pretty good against the Jets last night.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Watching the Flyers-Sabres game this week, couldnt help but notice how dull and dated the dark blue/silver is already for Buffalo. With the new ownership making many changes, and also showing appreciation for the team's past, what are the chances we see them go completely retro in the next few years?

I have hypothesized this. The new owner is an actual fan of the team... he had season tickets in the late 70's or early 80's sometime. He cried when he saw Gilbert Perreault at the press conference to announce him as owner. I figure he HAS to be nostalgic for the royal blue and gold. Also note: the royal blue 40th anniversary thirds were only supposed to be around for last season. New owner took over this spring, and now they stay around for another season. Maybe a way to keep them in royal blue while you get approval for a change from the NHL? I'm not gonna say that it will definitely happen next season, but with the new owner and more teams in general going back to brighter colors, I think it will definitely happen sometime soon.

Hate to burst your bubble but there is no way this is going to happen. If it did the Sabres would have made 3 wholesale jersey changes in just five seasons. 4 if you count the Edge version of the slug jersey as a seperate design from the 6100 version unvieled in 2006/07.

Hate to burst your bubble but there is no way this is going to happen. If it did the Sabres would have made 3 wholesale jersey changes in just five seasons. 4 if you count the Edge version of the slug jersey as a seperate design from the 6100 version unvieled in 2006/07.

Like I said, I'm not saying it will be this off-season. All I'm saying is that I think the new owner would be nostalgic for the blue and gold. He was a fan of the team during the blue and gold era, and isn't it somewhat common for a new ownership group to put their mark on a team with new unis anyway? I'm just saying I think the Sabres will end up back there soonish; I would be shocked if even five years go by and they are still in navy. A color swap is not necessarily the same as a wholesale uni change. Many times, teams change colors subtly without announcing anything and it isn't even noticed here immediately (until Colorwerx gives confirmation). If there is some NHL rule against it, then sure, it won't be happening. I don't think the NHL is arbitrarily going to say all of a sudden, "Whoa, too many jerseys". Look at the way the Lightning have been blowing through jerseys.

I'm not sure why the NHL would not own rights to all logos and colours of teams. It's their league...

Speaking of the Blues, I think they need to go to back to the blue, yellow and red palette. Looks amazing.

No. Please no. I've tried to erase all memory of the diagonal, red-blotched mess they used to wear. Their current jerseys aren't so good, but the immediate pre-edge stuff was fantastic.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I'm not sure why the NHL would not own rights to all logos and colours of teams. It's their league...

Speaking of the Blues, I think they need to go to back to the blue, yellow and red palette. Looks amazing.

No. Please no. I've tried to erase all memory of the diagonal, red-blotched mess they used to wear. Their current jerseys aren't so good, but the immediate pre-edge stuff was fantastic.

Red Blue and Yellow do look amazing together... Unfortunately for the Blues, it has yet to result in a good looking jersey. The ones with miminal red trim were too plain while the Diagonal striped ones were too much.

That being said, the double blue scheme they're currently wearing is starting to look really dated. Time for a change.

The phrase "starting to look dated" was dated long ago.

The double-blue scheme is fine. Would you like the Blues to wear something other than... blue? It's been blue and yellow since day one.

I submit for your (well, mostly my) viewing pleasure:

blues-old-blue.jpgblues-old-white.jpg

Beauties.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I'd like to see the Blues in the uniforms pictured, the early '90s red/yellow/blue design, or some modern take on the striped-yoke uniforms from early on. No "vertical element," no Copperplate arch logo, no white numbers. My demands are minimal and flexible.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The phrase "starting to look dated" was dated long ago.

The double-blue scheme is fine. Would you like the Blues to wear something other than... blue? It's been blue and yellow since day one.

I submit for your (well, mostly my) viewing pleasure:

blues-old-blue.jpgblues-old-white.jpg

Beauties.

That's their best look ever.

Archived