NHL 2011-2012: Possible Uniform Changes

uah8tr

And it also wasn't long ago that the Untied (teehee) Center was a league leader in attendance. People forget that the Hawks were a hot ticket well into the late '90s before the Chelios giveaway pretty much broke the camel's back.

Those Jackets thirds look even worse now that the Jets have more or less the same color scheme, executed quite a bit better. If that wasn't enough to retire them, tonight's game sure is.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the Jets want to have a throwback inspired alternate jersey, they don't need to look any further because all they really need to do is use these beauties...

file_119_15.jpg

Disagree.

>>>>

Agree (with Lee habsfan).

I usually judge what a logo and sweater looks like when the camera isn't zoomed in, and I just have a soft-spot for both the 80s and 90s sets of the Winnipeg Jets logo & uni's.

That's one of the reasons I have a major liking to sets worn by St Louis, the Leafs, Habs, Kings (crown logos), Canucks 3rds based on their origins, etc.

If I have to put in a major effort into making out a team logo, they're generally not that great a logo IMO .... I just can't take to the new Jets logo, and I don't see what a cannon has to do with a Blue Jacket.

Agree (with Lee).

I usually judge what a logo and sweater looks like when the camera isn't zoomed in, and I just have a soft-spot for both the 80s and 90s sets of the Winnipeg Jets logo & uni's.

That's one of the reasons I have a major liking to sets worn by St Louis, the Leafs, Habs, Kings (crown logos), Canucks 3rds based on their origins, etc.

If I have to put in a major effort into making out a team logo, they're generally not that great a logo IMO .... I just can't take to the new Jets logo, and I don't see what a cannon has to do with a Blue Jacket.

But that's kind of how I feel too a bit.

You say you have a soft spot for the 80s Jets jerseys, but then you agreed with Lee about how they should not be brought back. I said they should bring'em back as a 3rd jersey.

Agree (with Lee).

But that's kind of how I feel too a bit.

You say you have a soft spot for the 80s Jets jerseys, but then you agreed with Lee about how they should not be brought back. I said they should bring'em back as a 3rd jersey.

>>>>

Whoops! My bad!

It was actually you I was agreeing with you. I shall edit that at once.

Watching the Flyers-Sabres game this week, couldnt help but notice how dull and dated the dark blue/silver is already for Buffalo. With the new ownership making many changes, and also showing appreciation for the team's past, what are the chances we see them go completely retro in the next few years?

n193600158_30266861_5084.jpg

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

^Not sure if you were only counting primaries, but if you weren't, then you forgot the Leafs and Sens' new thirds.

...and the Islanders, however I don't think they've worn them yet.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

^Not sure if you were only counting primaries, but if you weren't, then you forgot the Leafs and Sens' new thirds.

...and the Islanders, however I don't think they've worn them yet.

One could only wish they are having second thoughts. But highly unlikely.

70389454.png

Every time i see the CBJ third jersey, I feel like the team won a prize for best (blueberry pie at the county fair) cannon...does anyone else get that vibe?

Also, you can't just throw any ole' thing into a circular logo and call it a day. If your team "fires a cannon off" for every goal, OK. Cannons work with the bluejacket theme they are trying to portray. You have me there. But cannons are synonymous with, I dunno, violence, blood, havoc, war, etc. Sticking a dinky-lookin' clip-arty cannon in a circle just defeats the whole purpose. It's very museum-y, to me. I'm not a designer, but what comes to mind is an action-oriented logo with a cannon facing forward (so you only see the cannon ball coming straight for you) and the wheels. I mean something to illustrate movement and depict the action of a cannon???

It'd be like if the Panthers sported Garfield eating lasagna (whilst inside a circle)... or the Bruins sporting a logo with Winnie the Pooh ;)

Every time i see the CBJ third jersey, I feel like the team won a prize for best (blueberry pie at the county fair) cannon...does anyone else get that vibe?

Also, you can't just throw any ole' thing into a circular logo and call it a day. If your team "fires a cannon off" for every goal, OK. Cannons work with the bluejacket theme they are trying to portray. You have me there. But cannons are synonymous with, I dunno, violence, blood, havoc, war, etc. Sticking a dinky-lookin' clip-arty cannon in a circle just defeats the whole purpose. It's very museum-y, to me. I'm not a designer, but what comes to mind is an action-oriented logo with a cannon facing forward (so you only see the cannon ball coming straight for you) and the wheels. I mean something to illustrate movement and depict the action of a cannon???

It'd be like if the Panthers sported Garfield eating lasagna (whilst inside a circle)... or the Bruins sporting a logo with Winnie the Pooh ;)

You mean like this?

322px-Arsenal_FC.svg.png

PvO6ZWJ.png

You mean like this?

322px-Arsenal_FC.svg.png

Eh, I don't know much about soccer, but I think that's a weak logo as well. If it has historical / sentimental value for some reason, I apologize for my ignorance. It's again taking an image that could conjur up sharp, violent, iconic imagery and makes it look like a 2-D toy. Maybe certain effects don't need to be hurled upon us by our logos/ images, but if I'm using a cannon/gun, etc., I want to depict action/ ferocity. No, I don't need a killing field or any imagery like that, but how about smoke coming out of the gun (Colt .45s might have done this???), for example.

I was thinking that seeing the cannon facing straight ahead (so you're looking into the "barrel," not off to the side like in Arsenal) and being shot off would be the most effective. Otherwise, it's like making a team called The Rifle Men and having a picture that amounts to a 2-D water pistol in a circle.

In my head, I either see a cannon being shot off or loaded by the blue-jacket people (with whatever devices one used to load the cannon balls in the weapon) in preparation for action. How about showing us two people (one on each side) loading the cannon, with it facing straight ahead. It has the potential to be incredibly evocative if nothing else.

I'm a Ranger fan, but I monitor the entire league and have an affinity for the CBJ. I'd like to see them succeed. Their primary logo and jerseys are top-notch; it's a shame that this looks (to my untrained eye) to be haphazard and trying to please too many masters.

Absolutely. The logo also kind of reminds of something you'd find on a margarine container.

I'd like the design of the Blue Jackets' alternate if they had gone with it as their primary identity from day one. As it is, it's just an attempt to cash in on a fad.

If the Jets want to have a throwback inspired alternate jersey, they don't need to look any further because all they really need to do is use these beauties...

file_119_15.jpg

Disagree.

I like the sweater design, and the pants are cool, but that logo's a mess. I've always felt that this sweater with the 1990-96 logo would look pretty good.

NYYNYR, I think you and j just have different opinions on what makes a good logo. Far from being "weak", the Arsenal cannon is very strong to me.

I think you're looking for the armory equivalent of a snarling, tuff minor-league logo.

Maybe this is more what you're thinking- it's certainly kewler than what they use now:

calgary_cannons_0_76798.jpg

:P

I just feel like the Jackets are a team that was around for 2-3 years back in the 70's when I look at their alt. I really want to get one as I don't forsee them being around for long, but wouldn't dream of ruining it with that terrible font.

untitled-6.jpg

NYYNYR, I think you and j just have different opinions on what makes a good logo. Far from being "weak", the Arsenal cannon is very strong to me.

I think you're looking for the armory equivalent of a snarling, tuff minor-league logo.

Maybe this is more what you're thinking- it's certainly kewler than what they use now:

calgary_cannons_0_76798.jpg

:P

Ha, I lol'ed at this.

1. We may have different opinions on Arsenal, but are we agreeing on the CBJ? What makes Arsenal so strong? It's kinda flat and dull, in my book.

2. I'm not advocating for "faux-tough," cartoony CRAP like that picture. I sooooo wish I could draw so I could show you what I mean. I have a creative mind, but I'd need someone to turn this into an image (if possible).

I'm closing my eyes and envisioning something very modern-looking...I'm imagining two blue-wearing Union soldiers pushing a cannon through the mud uphill; if you look closely you can see where the wheels have "tredded upon" the ground. All you see is the weapon facing towards the viewer. And maybe there's one guy loading the cannon or who has his hands over his ears.

The closest thing I could find, and it's not really close.

Archived