NHL 2011-2012: Possible Uniform Changes

uah8tr

I doubt that the NHL has such a rule in place. For one, they don't have that much foresight.

The NFL is the only league, I believe, which has such a thing in place.

that's the impression i have as well... and i think i only know about that, thanks to chad johnsocinco.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

my 2 sources (1 will remain nameless, the other is brett hull :P) claim that the stars new alternate jerseys next season will be kelly green, completely devoid of "retro-circle-logo-itis" and without drawstrings on the collar. it is supposedly based on the north stars aesthetic, and last i heard, would feature a new logo that is likely to be a letter. D or S or both.

Seeing how most of the North Stars kelly green jerseys had white shoulder yokes, this one should be no different. And if there's any black in it, I hope it's used sparingly on a jersey like this and not overused like on this one. I would also love to see a set of kelly green helmets and shorts.

my 2 sources (1 will remain nameless, the other is brett hull :P) claim that the stars new alternate jerseys next season will be kelly green, completely devoid of "retro-circle-logo-itis" and without drawstrings on the collar. it is supposedly based on the north stars aesthetic, and last i heard, would feature a new logo that is likely to be a letter. D or S or both.

This is great news! I just hope they don't ruin it by getting cute the Sabres did with pit stains and piping.

Seeing how most of the North Stars kelly green jerseys had white shoulder yokes, this one should be no different. And if there's any black in it, I hope it's used sparingly on a jersey like this and not overused like on this one. I would also love to see a set of kelly green helmets and shorts.

The link to the first jersey you posted has zero black. Also I think black IS used sparingly on the second set. I hope its based on that design.

would feature a new logo that is likely to be a letter. D or S or both.

The texas outline/star/D logo could make the jump. That one was always a beaut.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Bumping back up this quote in regards to the new Lightning uniforms...

I don't think they'd allow them, but I doubt the refs would stop them from taking the ice if they wore the new uniforms. If they do make the finals, I'd like to see the Lightning come out in the new uniforms and just take whatever fine they get.

0131-tbl-playersmodel.jpg

YES THEY SHOULD!! :hockeysmiley:

No... just no.

These lightning jerseys have now had 3 months to gestate and my feelings about them are the same as when they were released. They are awful! Sure Tampa's current uniforms leave much to be desired (The front numbers, the ugly Reebok template, the black bleeding into the blue) but these new uniforms suck all character and tradition out of the Lightning Identity. If the Canucks get eliminated I hope Tampa Bay wins the cup. Then they will have two Championships in Black Blue White and Silver leaving the organization no choice but to mothball the bland, unoriginal, red wing clones they released in march.

I approve this message.

I 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 132nd this message.

SigReflect.png

You know, the more I think about it, the more I wish the Lightning had taken their alternate jersey, replaced "Bolts" with the Lightning logo they have now, and add a white and black version of that to complete the set. Aside from the "Bolts" wordmark (and maybe the Tampa Bay on the bottom hem), that jersey's really sharp.

The piping to nowhere also knocks it down a peg.

Otherwise its a very sharp uniform.

Not only is it very sharp, but the black helmet-blue jersey-black pants-blue socks look is unique in the NHL.

Now why would we want something unique?

We all know it's a better idea to be the only team....ever....to copy the Red Wings template. Everybody knows the Red Wings have the worst best uniforms in the league....

SigReflect.png

Ok, since the conversation is back to Tampa/Detroit, why do the Kings get away with copying Detroit? Sure, it might have happened 40 years ago, but that jersey has come back as a throwback and everybody is screaming for them to be used full time. If the Kings did that, would they be derided for copying? Because they absolutely did.

Kings01.pngRedWings04.png

Kings09.pngRedWings25.png

What gives? Can we lay off of the Bolts already? And this is coming from a Pens fan!

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

You don't really notice that the Kings had the same template as the Red Wings because their forum blue and gold colour combo was unique in the NHL. That's why they get a pass.

The fact that Tampa had a unique colour combo and then switched to the Leafs combo and the Red Wings template seems like a unnecessary rip off. Tampa should have gone with a simple blue black and white combo. Blue and white jerseys with black helmets and blank pants with a white bolt on them would have been perfect.

This is great news! I just hope they don't ruin it by getting cute the Sabres did with pit stains and piping.

The link to the first jersey you posted has zero black. Also I think black IS used sparingly on the second set. I hope its based on that design.

...and the second set you showed was the best the North Stars EVER looked and it is one of my favorite all time NHL uniforms! I don't think the stars ever had it all together till that set!

shamrockles.png

shamrocklescronological.png

...and the second set you showed was the best the North Stars EVER looked and it is one of my favorite all time NHL uniforms! I don't think the stars ever had it all together till that set!

and if it were introduced today, people would complain that the home and the road are two very different jerseys. I like the green ones, never liked the white. If they were introduced today, the difference in shoulders would be a huge complaint. the striping is different on each jersey, including the sleeve-ends, and the stripes on the white's socks are different than the ones on the jersey. Really, nostalgia fixes everything.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

The new Tampa Bay logos and jerseys have really grown on me. They look a lot better in execution than they did when unveiled. It looks fantastic on NHL.com (although the thumbnail icon is focused on a weird part of the logo). I'm planning on getting one before they ruin it with black.

My NHL Rebrand Blog

Check it out and comment.

and if it were introduced today, people would complain that the home and the road are two very different jerseys. I like the green ones, never liked the white. If they were introduced today, the difference in shoulders would be a huge complaint. the striping is different on each jersey, including the sleeve-ends, and the stripes on the white's socks are different than the ones on the jersey. Really, nostalgia fixes everything.

I don't think it'd be as problematic as you think it it would be, because while there are differences in striping and shoulders, the two sweaters are still conceptually unified enough that we would place them with the Blackhawks, Canadiens, Sabres, and a few other teams that have had minor quirks between home and road while still looking like the same team. It's not like the Wild, or the old Senators, or other teams where there are two or three jerseys that are completely different from one another.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Technically they are different designs. The white one was introduced a couple years prior to the green and was originally going to be accompanyed by the jersey below. Doesn't explain the two tones of green but thank god they came to their senses.

1981rejectedblack.png

A big clue about the intentions of the designer lies in the socks, notice how the sock striping is the same for the white and black jerseys but completely different on the green?

19881991white.png

19881991green.png

to play devil's advocate here, since i'm the artist who did that uniform history project...

those north stars black socks were a guess, since i'm not entirely sure they ever manufactured real socks for that rejected design.

1981rejectedblack.png

That jersey was meant to be the new road jersey to accompany the new homes they introduced in 1981/82.

The North Stars were planning on going to those black jerseys for the 1981/82 season. They were supposed to be the road jersey to the home jersey seen here.

NorthStars11.png.

After the run to the Stanley Cup Finals they decided to keep the green roads as is. But introduced the planned new homes. This is why the home jerseys had black while the greens jerseys did not that season.

The Catch of the Day!

With the 2012 Winter Classic rumoured to be involving the Flyers and Rangers, what do we expect to see for uniforms?

Reports: Flyers host Rangers, Jan. 2 NHL Winter Classic at Citizens Bank Park in Philadelphia

NHL.com

Multiple media reports in Philadelphia, New York and Canada are reporting the Philadelphia Flyers will host the New York Rangers in the 2012 NHL Winter Classic.

According to the reports, the game will be played Monday, Jan. 2, 2012, at Citizens Bank Park, the home of the Philadelphia Phillies.

If the reports are accurate, it would be the first time the game has been played on a day other than Jan. 1. However, New Year's Day next year falls on a Sunday. If the NFL plays this season -- that league currently has locked out its players -- it would coincide with the final week of the regular season.

The game being played at a baseball stadium could be due to the NFL schedule. If the season is played, the Philadelphia Eagles are scheduled to play the Washington Redskins on Jan. 1 at Philadelphia's Lincoln Financial Field.

The Flyers' inclusion in the game would mark their second Classic. The team played the Boston Bruins in the 2010 Classic at Fenway Park.

It would the Rangers' debut in the League's outdoor game.

I'd like to see a Quakers-based fauxback for the Flyers and a modern version of the 1946 Rangers sweater.

5716194129_83bd216292.jpg

Rangers12.png

With the 2012 Winter Classic rumoured to be involving the Flyers and Rangers, what do we expect to see for uniforms?

Reports: Flyers host Rangers, Jan. 2 NHL Winter Classic at Citizens Bank Park in Philadelphia

NHL.com

Multiple media reports in Philadelphia, New York and Canada are reporting the Philadelphia Flyers will host the New York Rangers in the 2012 NHL Winter Classic.

According to the reports, the game will be played Monday, Jan. 2, 2012, at Citizens Bank Park, the home of the Philadelphia Phillies.

If the reports are accurate, it would be the first time the game has been played on a day other than Jan. 1. However, New Year's Day next year falls on a Sunday. If the NFL plays this season -- that league currently has locked out its players -- it would coincide with the final week of the regular season.

The game being played at a baseball stadium could be due to the NFL schedule. If the season is played, the Philadelphia Eagles are scheduled to play the Washington Redskins on Jan. 1 at Philadelphia's Lincoln Financial Field.

The Flyers' inclusion in the game would mark their second Classic. The team played the Boston Bruins in the 2010 Classic at Fenway Park.

It would the Rangers' debut in the League's outdoor game.

I'd like to see a Quakers-based fauxback for the Flyers and a modern version of the 1946 Rangers sweater.

5716194129_83bd216292.jpg

Rangers12.png

If this is true, then I foresee a major dip in ratings and this will be the beginning of the end. I'm sorry they need to stop calling this the Winter Classic and call it the Northeast Spectacle. I think this will be the beginning of the rest of the nation getting sick of seeing the same teams and the whole outdoor thing.

Archived