NHL 2011-2012: Possible Uniform Changes

uah8tr

It's amazing to me how everyone hates the Lightning's uniform and logos until they change, then all of a sudden they were classics.

Nope. I thought the Bolts change during edge was one of the best upgrades I've seen in a while. I liked their unis/logo before, and really enjoyed the changes.

They modernized the look and did a really good job. I loved it. They aren't classics, never said that. But they are nice.

Even if I hadn't liked them so much, in comparison to the new logo it automatically makes the old set look hundreds times better.

The new logo lacks any depth or creativity. It looks unfinished and like it was created in 5 minutes.

2ly2w09.jpg

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

EVERYTHING IN THE PAST IS BETTER THAN IT IS NOW.

Nice try, Paul Lukas.

I actually like the new TBL look a whole lot. Much better than their current set.

34y7eo5.jpg

You know what they say, "Traditionalist's can go die in a hole if they don't like it."

I like the Atlanta wordmark jersey and I would like the see the Stars logo comeback to the color world. I like the idea of LA going with the third jersey as a primary, but I don't like what Florida or Nashville is doing with their jerseys. Nashville's alternates are too colorless and Florida's third jerseys are ugly. I do like the Sens third jersey, but if it went I wouldn't whine over it. Pittsburgh has so many jerseys now that it really silly to add another, they need to consolidate. Anaheim needs to take their third jersey and make it their primary. I love the big "Web D," but not the whole word Ducks. Toronto baffles me with getting a third jersey.

What is with the over simplification of uniforms? Cavs, 76ers, Lightning, Red Sox road. Step backward. Their colors are black/blue. Go ahead and use black because its not BFBS.

KISSwall09.jpg

I just want to say. I love, LOVE the new Lightning stuff. I want them to take out the black. What they have IS iconic. It also lets me makes a lot of cool sigs.

I can't believe that.

There is nothing iconic about it. It's awful. There is nothing iconic about a clip art logo, even teams with history and logos that have been around longer aren't this bland.

You can't have a logo in a professional sport that lacks any depth. The single color for the logo makes it so much worse. There is nothing that makes it pop or even look like someone tried.

Blackhawks, Rangers, Wings, all have logos with at least some depth. They also have made changes to improve and modernize them. The Lightning took 10 steps back and have one of the worst logos in all pro sports aside from the rays.

I will not be buying a single product with the new logo on it. I've sent a letter, and let the new idiots know this sucks. I get it, you're hard up for money and changing every thing you can makes people buy new stuff and thus gets you more money. But at least make a change for the better. Not a slanted theft of the Electric brand logo and take away 2 colors that at least makes it look good and stand out with some depth.

Why do the Tampa Bay area teams aside from the Bucs have to look like such a freaking joke?

It's a shame.

2ly2w09.jpg

I have this feeling that the Ducks will switch to the D logo in the upcoming seasons. The fact that they wore it for the playoffs has to provide some speculation

If the Ducks make any changes next season, it'll be the third jersey promoted to regular home and that'll be it. Otherwise I doubt we'll see any major changes until at least 2012-13, or 2013-14 if they decide to push their 20th anniversary season forward a year because of the whole lockout thing (which I hope they don't).

But yes, it seems the wordmark is in general being slowly phased out :D

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

I just want to say. I love, LOVE the new Lightning stuff. I want them to take out the black. What they have IS iconic. It also lets me makes a lot of cool sigs.

I can't believe that.

There is nothing iconic about it. It's awful. There is nothing iconic about a clip art logo, even teams with history and logos that have been around longer aren't this bland.

You can't have a logo in a professional sport that lacks any depth. The single color for the logo makes it so much worse. There is nothing that makes it pop or even look like someone tried.

Blackhawks, Rangers, Wings, all have logos with at least some depth. They also have made changes to improve and modernize them. The Lightning took 10 steps back and have one of the worst logos in all pro sports aside from the rays.

I will not be buying a single product with the new logo on it. I've sent a letter, and let the new idiots know this sucks. I get it, you're hard up for money and changing every thing you can makes people buy new stuff and thus gets you more money. But at least make a change for the better. Not a slanted theft of the Electric brand logo and take away 2 colors that at least makes it look good and stand out with some depth.

Why do the Tampa Bay area teams aside from the Bucs have to look like such a freaking joke?

It's a shame.

Agree 100%. The sad thing is that the current logos actually look really good. That shimmering shade of silver is such an important part of their identity and really makes the logos pop, especially on the black jerseys. Its unfortunate the template of that jersey is so awful. All they needed to do was come up with a classy understated striping pattern (think inaugural jerseys), remove the front numbers and they're golden. Such a shame.

Iconic!? They haven't even worn them yet, cool your jets dude.

The hyperbole on both sides of the issue is nauseating.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

my take:

the bolts have never had a good look or a good logo. they did a decent job modernizing their crest and making it not laughable with the switch to reebok, but then they took a took a step back when they decided to be the yzermantown blue wings and go with a stamp of an awkward oval.

nothing has ever been iconic or well designed in the history of the franchise. change for them is good. they just managed to somehow change without improving a damn thing. at least that's how i see it.

Of course their jersey is iconic...

...it's been Detroit's for years. ;)

The new Lightning stuff has grown on me. I am no longer unhappy with the changes that make them similar to the Leafs or Red Wings. There is no need to complain about no victory stripes because they said they will be added in the future. They got it almost right at the first unveiling. However, I still do not like the half ass job by adding black on only the numbers and pants bolt. What they have done the second time around doesn't make any sense at all.

The new Lightning stuff has grown on me. I am no longer unhappy with the changes that make them similar to the Leafs or Red Wings. There is no need to complain about no victory stripes because they said they will be added in the future. They got it almost right at the first unveiling. However, I still do not like the half ass job by adding black on only the numbers and pants bolt. What they have done the second time around doesn't make any sense at all.

It makes sense when you realize the changes were made due to fan response after the unveiling, and that millions of dollars' worth of replica and authentic jerseys had already been manufactured by the time of the initial unveiling. It's all they could do in the time frame, and management has already indicated that additional tweaks (including victory stripes) will be forthcoming in 2012-13.

Unexpected Blackhawks note: I stopped into the Blackhawks Store downtown before work today to see if there were any end-of-season sales going on. There was one - all black alternate jerseys were 25% off. When I asked why, the clerk told me they were "getting taken out of the rotation for next season." Just to be sure I understood, I asked if that meant the Hawks wouldn't be wearing them on the ice next season, and he said yes. I'm disappointed, because I really loved that look, but I know I'm in the minority on this board with that opinion.

The previous black jerseys (the ones modeled after the white sweater) were also on the clearance rack, so I don't think we'll be seeing a return to those. Likely just red and white for next season, though I could maybe see them resurrecting the 75th Anniversary barberpole and swapping in the current third's crest on the front.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

What I meant was that the simplified logo is better for being simple. They want a recognizable brand by simplicity. It's not the first time this has happened.

starbucks-new-logo.jpg

A simple 2 color logo that can be identified easily. Thats what he's going for. If this was the original logo in 1991, than no one would be complaining. I love the logo now, but this is a lot cleaner, and is an overall better brand.

That's good new to me if the Hawks drop the third jersey. It was great for the Winter Classic, but I don't usually like when the third jersey has an entirely different crest than the home and road. Although I'm a fan of a team having an alternate jersey in most cases, I like the Hawks red jersey so much that I don't think they need an alternate.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I hope Chicago doesn't ditch those cool retro thirds. I think they look great. I just wish they would remove the "Black Hawks Chicago" ring and enlarge the retro indian head logo on the front. I'm not a fan of ringed logos.

To me a logo should be a picture/symbol devoid of any writing or wordmarks.

The Catch of the Day!

What I meant was that the simplified logo is better for being simple. They want a recognizable brand by simplicity. It's not the first time this has happened.

starbucks-new-logo.jpg

A simple 2 color logo that can be identified easily. Thats what he's going for. If this was the original logo in 1991, than no one would be complaining. I love the logo now, but this is a lot cleaner, and is an overall better brand.

The alternate logo is miles better, the off center logo is amatuerish

u9j9gjgn2t7ir1w783olorjrl.gif

The hyperbole on both sides of the issue is nauseating.

Then why comment much less read it?

I point it out in hopes that people reflect on their comments and realize how dumb they sound.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived