NHL 2011-2012: Possible Uniform Changes

uah8tr

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The hyperbole on both sides of the issue is nauseating.

Then why comment much less read it?

I point it out in hopes that people reflect on their comments and realize how dumb they sound.

Unfortunately, the mindset that creates hyperbole also compels these people to post incessantly. But for your sanity's sake, I'll say this - I think the new Lightning logos are a decent upgrade over what they had. Not perfect, but a step in the right direction. I think most people probably think similarly, as the only contrary argument has already been boiled down to "everything was better before."

Keep calm and carry on.

nhl94vansigpng.png

Any chance that the league would allow Tampa to wear the new uniforms if they make the finals?

I don't think they'd allow them, but I doubt the refs would stop them from taking the ice if they wore the new uniforms. If they do make the finals, I'd like to see the Lightning come out in the new uniforms and just take whatever fine they get.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

The previous black jerseys (the ones modeled after the white sweater) were also on the clearance rack, so I don't think we'll be seeing a return to those. Likely just red and white for next season, though I could maybe see them resurrecting the 75th Anniversary barberpole and swapping in the current third's crest on the front.

I'd love to see the Hawks bring back these beauties:

alternate_jersey-1992_big.jpg

I bought one of those 75th Anniversary throwbacks awhile back. I like the current third jerseys, but I've always liked those barberpole ones too. :hockeysmiley:

Bloodhound.gif

felix_thinking_zps5e4863e9.gif?t=1380931

When you start producing stuff like...

TampaBayLightning3rdJersey+2.jpg

kshp9ynl7ze9ghwmo924y9tkr.gif

1958387496_db74e4d464.jpg

...it's never a bad idea to go back to the basics. Sure, it looks like a Red Wings jersey with Maple Leaf colors, but I can't blame them for ditching their old unis and going with something much simpler. It's not hard to believe they had a hard time pushing their old identity. I always hated their array of colors (white, some shade of blue, gray, black, gold) without being able to make them interesting. The Florida/Lightning logo is awkward to look at, and I'm glad they are ditching that. The lighting bolt on the breezers seems way too busy, and their sock design is questionable.

Is this an upgrade? I think so. I think it'll be easier to market and the logo will grow on people. Will this look stay the same for 10 years? Probably not, but they have a good base for some changes. I can see them switching more toward the "Tampa Bay Lightning Hockey Club" in the future, and slowly adding back in the gray, or introducing a third color.

Unexpected Blackhawks note: I stopped into the Blackhawks Store downtown before work today to see if there were any end-of-season sales going on. There was one - all black alternate jerseys were 25% off. When I asked why, the clerk told me they were "getting taken out of the rotation for next season." Just to be sure I understood, I asked if that meant the Hawks wouldn't be wearing them on the ice next season, and he said yes. I'm disappointed, because I really loved that look, but I know I'm in the minority on this board with that opinion.

Extremely disapointing news if this is true as another beautiful uniform combo would be tossed away. You could count me in the minority of people who love that look. The Chigago home and road are good as well, but the alt set compliments them so well that the overall package is a perfect 10! But maybe the sales have went down for that jersey. I'm not from Chicago so I have no clue about that. And if it's because they want to unveil something else, why can't they just keep it for another season until they release their new stuff in 2012-13?

Any chance that the league would allow Tampa to wear the new uniforms if they make the finals?

I don't think they'd allow them, but I doubt the refs would stop them from taking the ice if they wore the new uniforms. If they do make the finals, I'd like to see the Lightning come out in the new uniforms and just take whatever fine they get.

+1

If they win another Stanley Cup, there's a good chance that the new logo will be featured across their banner. It would be very dumb for a team to go with a logo that was unused at the time of their championship. It would be like having Robo-Penguin on Pittsburgh's 1991-92 SC banner. But I've seen enough stupid things get done in the past that I now believe anything is possible.

The Blackhawks' thirds were hard to read, had an ugly crest on them, and took away appearances from superior jerseys. Can't say I'll miss them. I'd be up for that barberpole sweater as a one-shot deal, I guess. I saw that sweater at a store about seven or eight years ago and it was an actual knit sweater (said Belfour on the back, too!). If not for being $300, I'd own it.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The lack of depth is still killing it.

Trying to do a decent logo that stands out needs more than 2 colors. Especially with something as aggressive as a lightning bolt should be.

2ly2w09.jpg

Unexpected Blackhawks note: I stopped into the Blackhawks Store downtown before work today to see if there were any end-of-season sales going on. There was one - all black alternate jerseys were 25% off. When I asked why, the clerk told me they were "getting taken out of the rotation for next season." Just to be sure I understood, I asked if that meant the Hawks wouldn't be wearing them on the ice next season, and he said yes. I'm disappointed, because I really loved that look, but I know I'm in the minority on this board with that opinion.

This is too bad because the striping pattern on the black is superior to the one on red. The red jersey is better, but suffers from the fact that the sleeve stripes are too thin. It's so bad that it detracts from the entire look and prevents it from being probably a top 5 (maybe even better) jersey in the league.

The thing I do like from the thirds is the striping on the pants, with the stripes around the bottom and the little triangles. If they copied those over to the regular breezers, it might look better than the standard-issue striping they have now.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Any Panthers news?

Heard they drafted Cam Newton.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

You don't think the Sharks wearing their black jerseys in the playoffs means any kind of change for them later, do you?

No, they're just wearing black because Don Cherry made fun of their teal sweaters in last season's playoffs :P

Don Cherry, arbiter of taste.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Ah yes Don Cherry..and his outragous and loud suits.. but damn that guy is something.. still cant forget his whaling about Pavel Bure back in 1995 and later getting Pat Quinn furious the next period break.. whew that was something..

Anyways, sad to know Chicago gonna ditch that cool WC jersey.. I like it... and I just wish Florida and Atlanta would wake up and go back to the simple jersey looks!! ugh oh well...

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

You don't think the Sharks wearing their black jerseys in the playoffs means any kind of change for them later, do you?

No, they're just wearing black because Don Cherry made fun of their teal sweaters in last season's playoffs :P

Such a shame, Red Wings Sharks would be such a great jersey matchup if they wore the teal's.

Archived