NHL 2011-2012: Possible Uniform Changes

uah8tr

The Jets were going to be sold to a group that wanted to move them to Phoenix following the 1995-96 season. Gary Bettman wanted this to happen, expressed his desire that it happen, and was a cheerleader for the Phoenix ownership group. He actively scuttled attempts to put together an alternative ownership group that would have kept them in Phoenix. When it came time to approve the relocation Bettman happily came out in favour of moving the team.

Fast forward to 2009. Jim Balsillie tries to buy the team to move them to Hamilton. Bettman says he can't, a court battle ensues. The league wins. TNSE, headed by 17th richest man in the world Lord David Thomson, is rumoured to be interested in buying the team. Despite this Bettman insists they find an owner who's committed to Phoenix. When asked why he's turned down two potential, wealthy owners who would move the team to Canada Bettman says it isn't about the US or Canada, he just wants to keep all the teams where they are. Yet in 1995 and 1996 he expressed his desire that the Jets move. Comes off as hypocritical to me.

When you compare Bettman's actions and rhetoric during the Jets-to-Phoenix move to the potential Coyotes-to-Hamilton and Coyotes-to-Winnipeg discussions it seems as if Phoenix flat out stole the Jets with league approval.

Hence the reason ATL is pissed at Bettman. He sold us out for his own stupid pride.

Braves.jpg

BigMac's posts make me want to punch babies.

Hockey is weird and I love it.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You really are an idiot, you know that?

This coming from a person who claims a town "Stole" a franchise by legally purchasing it. Your credibility is much more dubious than mine.

You stole it in so far as your city was basically handed the team by the league on the silver platter. The same league that is now moving mountains to keep the team in Phoenix where they can draw neither money or fans.

Again, my Israel analogy fits. Our only crime is our very existance.

Your continued use of this analogy is insulting. Please stop, or I will be forced to use my Worldwide Zionist Conspiracy connections to have Mossad blow you up.

Lets just move the Coyotes and turn the arena into a parking lot.

And leave Phoenix with no hockey-purposed arena?

These are the posters who calle me an "idiot" but don't realize their ideas are even more stupid. The only thing that is more moronic would be trying to kill Jesus at the Second Coming.

I dont really have a dog in this fight, I am neither Canadian or Arizonan, but reading this makes me wish they would just move Phoenix back to Winnipeg already so this guy would quit whining about how everyones picking on him and Phoenix fans and have it validate that they really shouldnt exist. Damn you Bettman.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Lets just move the Coyotes and turn the arena into a parking lot.

And leave Phoenix with no hockey-purposed arena?

These are the posters who calle me an "idiot" but don't realize their ideas are even more stupid. The only thing that is more moronic would be trying to kill Jesus at the Second Coming.

They don't need a hockey arena if there are no fans and the team moves.

07Giants.pngnyy.png

They don't need a hockey arena if there are no fans and the team moves.

How about those fans that were there during the AWA/US Airways Center years?

And how many state-of-the-art arenas were destroyed within ten years about being built? Name one.

Nobody who is in an area that doesn't have a team is going to care how they get that team. Johnny Fan isn't going to say "no, this isn't right. Let them rot where they are - we'll wait 20 years for expansion".

The whole "you stole them you shouldn't care" is absolutely not fair. I cannot believe that I'm defending this dense loon, but the argument really is getting ridiculous at this point. He has every right to care about his team, and every right to care about the Jets history (imagine you're 10 years old and an NHL fan then all of a sudden you get a team to cheer from - wouldn't you spend time reading about their days before they got there and in a way start to embrace their past?)

The new Winnipeg team either shouldn't be the Jets, or should be the New Jets. I get the difference between a "franchise" and "team", but as far as I'm concerned the "franchise" part of it is just for the lawyers, while the team part of it is for the fans. The team's lineage will go back to Atlanta, it's that simple. You can't buy and sell history - it's just there. Could North Korea make a deal with the Netherlands for their history? Then all of a sudden we're friendly with NK and celebrating them for helping finance our independence?

Glendale is ridiculous and that arena really needs to be renovated into a parking lot (or maybe tennis courts?) soon, but with all of the fair shots there are to take, there's no need to go with the unfair ones.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Who owns the franchise history of the Golden Seals? The Barons? There's no reason why the Thrashers' history couldn't simply end. They would be a franchise with a beginning and end, same as the Maroons and Americans.

Can you really ask a city to ignore its hockey history?

IIRC the Stars do technically....although given the circumstances of the creation of the San Jose Sharks, they could probably lay a decent claim to them. This presumes, once again though, that anybody would WANT the history of the runt of the 1967 litter.

Why can't the Thrashers' history be considered another technicality? The Thrashers have the luxury of being the only entry in the class of 1999, but if you take that last expansion (1995-2000), Nashville, Atlanta, Columbus, Minnesota...how is Atlanta NOT the runt of that litter? I think they'd edge out Columbus on this one.

There are differences in the level of runtdom between the Thrashers and the Seals/Golden Seals/Barons. The latter franchise was always in crisis-mode financial peril, and ultimately became the last Big 4 team to fold...err...merge.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

And how many state-of-the-art arenas were destroyed within ten years about being built? Name one.

Kemper Arena in Kansas City.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Nobody who is in an area that doesn't have a team is going to care how they get that team. Johnny Fan isn't going to say "no, this isn't right. Let them rot where they are - we'll wait 20 years for expansion".

The whole "you stole them you shouldn't care" is absolutely not fair. I cannot believe that I'm defending this dense loon, but the argument really is getting ridiculous at this point. He has every right to care about his team, and every right to care about the Jets history (imagine you're 10 years old and an NHL fan then all of a sudden you get a team to cheer from - wouldn't you spend time reading about their days before they got there and in a way start to embrace their past?)

The new Winnipeg team either shouldn't be the Jets, or should be the New Jets. I get the difference between a "franchise" and "team", but as far as I'm concerned the "franchise" part of it is just for the lawyers, while the team part of it is for the fans. The team's lineage will go back to Atlanta, it's that simple. You can't buy and sell history - it's just there. Could North Korea make a deal with the Netherlands for their history? Then all of a sudden we're friendly with NK and celebrating them for helping finance our independence?

Glendale is ridiculous and that arena really needs to be renovated into a parking lot (or maybe tennis courts?) soon, but with all of the fair shots there are to take, there's no need to go with the unfair ones.

+1

Braves.jpg

BigMac's posts make me want to punch babies.

Hockey is weird and I love it.

Nope! I checked wikipedia, and that arena is still around.

Because they rebuilt it.

Today, we are all otaku.

Nope! I checked wikipedia, and that arena is still around.

Because they rebuilt it.

As an arena! Boy, people call me an idiot and loon, and just are oblivous to their own faults.

At least I belive in the death, burial and ressurection of Jesus Christ. Nobody can take that away from me.

Unfortunately Jesus doesn't give a :censored: about your hockey team.

Today, we are all otaku.

The roof collapsed. It wasn't like they tore it down because no one was using it.

Archived