NHL 2011-2012: Possible Uniform Changes

uah8tr

At the end of the day the Thrashers are not the Jets. Therefore they shouldn't become the Jets. Moose or Falcons both work for me.

My thoughts exactly.... All 3 are fine choices I suppose, but it'd be easier to stomach the coyotes going back to the jets... I'm guessing its been discussed earlier in this thread, but keeping the jets/coyotes/jets history and record books intact woulda been cool... But "jets" isn't so great a name, and they weren't so successful that "Moose" or the even-older "Falcons" wouldn't/shouldn't be emraced by the fans. I like Falcons the best personally.

As long as its one of these 3, and not "Xtreme" or "Wind" I'll be happy.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It wouldn't compromise the record books at all to call the team the Jets. There would just be another team that used the name "Winnipeg Jets." This happened all the time in baseball. I'm glad the St. Louis Browns didn't say no to "Baltimore Orioles" because zomg, someone used that once. We could be looking back on Belanger and the Robinsons winning pennants for the Maryland Crab.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

They are allowed to call them the Jets, but the history remains in Phoenix for the time being. I know people in Winnipeg def don't want the Moose though. I guess the associate that with the minor leagues.

I do have to say that it would be weird to see the Jets come into Phoenix, with the names of some Jets greats (who only played for the Jets) in the Coyotes ring of honor.

I wouldn't sweat it. If they're indeed staying in the NASCAR Division this year, they might not even play at Phoenix this year, and if they don't do it this year, they might never at all.

I have no problem with a "shared history" deal. People are getting way too knotted up over the sanctity of franchise lineage. No, they're not the 1972-1996 Jets, but they're another team which is also called the Jets. This isn't that hard to process. I mean, irrespective of name, they're inevitably going to have Steen/Hawerchuk/Selanne(?) nights. Are they supposed to refrain from celebrating these players because most of the roster from the '96 Jets played on the '97 Coyotes?

I'm a terrible odds maker.

Falcons 7/1

Moose 16/1

Jets 20/1

Polar Bears 50/1

Mosquitoes 100/1

And the team will not be Winnipeg, they'll be Manitoba. Is Phoenix still going through with the name change to the Arizona Coyotes?

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Is Phoenix still going through with the name change to the Arizona Coyotes?

No. That would be contingent on a sale, which isn't happening.

Oh yeah I guess that would make sense.

They should be called the Phoenix NHLers, kinda like how the Baltimore Stallions were known as the Baltimore CFLers for the first few weeks of 1994 just to avoid bankruptcy because they wanted to name the team the Baltimore Colts.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

This is what I'm going to miss the most from the Thrashers...

9-EVANDER%20KANE-HOME.jpg

I really liked the uniqueness of the single-sleeved wordmark home jersey and their whole Blueland theme in general. And with the Penguins dumping their powder blue alternates for their navy WC jersey, there will be no more powder blue jerseys left in the NHL next season.

The Toronto Maple Leafs maybe loved by a good percentage of the nation, but I promise you more people hate the Leafs than love them. I am sorry but if you really love your home town team, you should hate 29 other teams.

I concur 100%

untitled-6.jpg

I really liked the uniqueness of the single-sleeved wordmark home jersey and their whole Blueland theme in general. And with the Penguins dumping their powder blue alternates for their navy WC jersey, there will be no more powder blue jerseys left in the NHL next season.

While I applaud the Trashers' creativity, I think they gave up too quickly on their navy blue set. With a less busy striping pattern and using their base bird/stick logo, it could have really worked. This does give us one less light blue, navy blue combo to look at.(i.e:Columbus,Florida, Pittsburgh)

While I applaud the Trashers' creativity, I think they gave up too quickly on their navy blue set. With a less busy striping pattern and using their base bird/stick logo, it could have really worked. This does give us one less light blue, navy blue combo to look at.(i.e: Columbus, Florida, Pittsburgh)

But those two are primarily navy. I was talking about jerseys with the base color being powder blue.

While I applaud the Trashers' creativity, I think they gave up too quickly on their navy blue set. With a less busy striping pattern and using their base bird/stick logo, it could have really worked. This does give us one less light blue, navy blue combo to look at.(i.e: Columbus, Florida, Pittsburgh)

But those two are primarily navy. I was talking about jerseys with the base color being powder blue.

My apologies. This look will indeed be missed. Great point.

While I applaud the Trashers' creativity, I think they gave up too quickly on their navy blue set. With a less busy striping pattern and using their base bird/stick logo, it could have really worked. This does give us one less light blue, navy blue combo to look at.(i.e:Columbus,Florida, Pittsburgh)

I hated that Thrashers jersey, so I'm very glad to see that go. In fact, there wasn't a thing about the Thrashers' identity that I liked - they had one of the worst names in sports, a terrible logo that looked like water flushing down a toilet bowl, and their jerseys represented some of the worst elements of Edge. Very glad to see that entire identity be thrown out the window.

I just hope, and I'm not optimistic about it, that we get the Winnipeg Jets identity back. I liked the jerseys they had at the end, and I always liked their name. It's a name that a lot of fans up in Winnipeg and across the NHL have an attachment to, and it'd only be right to resurrect the team everyone in Winnipeg has wanted back for 15 years.

1923 1927 1928 1932 1936 1937 1938 1939 1941 1943 1947 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1956 1958 1961 1962 1977 1978 1996 1998 1999 2000 2009

They don't have one.

Do you have any learing? They have stats, a leading goal scorer (Kovalchuck), etc. It may not be spectatular as other franchsises, but the Thrashers have a histroy. Who gets them if the Atlanta team moves to Winnipeg?

It can be traded to Phoenix for cash and a prospect to be named later.

I absolutely thought of that driving back from lunch.

WINNIPEG GETS:

Phoenix Coyotes team history and roster. Winnipeg trades team roster to Phoenix with Phoenix Coyotes history.

PHOENIX GETS:

Atlanta Thrashers team history and roster. Phoenix trades team roster to Winnipeg and sends Atlanta history to Winnipeg

I just hope, and I'm not optimistic about it, that we get the Winnipeg Jets identity back. I liked the jerseys they had at the end, and I always liked their name. It's a name that a lot of fans up in Winnipeg and across the NHL have an attachment to, and it'd only be right to resurrect the team everyone in Winnipeg has wanted back for 15 years.

If they unveil a new name/identity other than the Jets at their future jersey launch press conference, I wouldn't be surprised to hear some boos from a few people in attendence. I know I would be booing it.

They don't have one.

Do you have any learing? They have stats, a leading goal scorer (Kovalchuck), etc. It may not be spectatular as other franchsises, but the Thrashers have a histroy. Who gets them if the Atlanta team moves to Winnipeg?

WINNIPEG GETS:

Phoenix Coyotes team history and roster. Winnipeg trades team roster to Phoenix with Phoenix Coyotes history.

PHOENIX GETS:

Atlanta Thrashers team history and roster. Phoenix trades team roster to Winnipeg and sends Atlanta history to Winnipeg

If they're going to go with Jets then there is a way to reconfigure the history books so that it sort of makes sense.

You say that after 1996 the Jets franchise went dormant and that the Coyotes were a completely separate franchise. In 1999 the Jets franchise is "revived" as the Atlanta Thrashers. In 2011 they move "back" to Winnipeg and retake the Jets name.

Basically you do what the CFL did regarding the original Montreal Alouettes, the Montreal Concords, the Baltimore Stallions, and the current Montreal Alouettes, where a bunch of historical teams are merged as "one" franchise.

http://en.wikipedia....nnipeg_NHL_Team

GO WINNIPEG NHL TEAM!

The middle step of bringing back the Jets as the Thrashers in 1999 doesn't make any sense. You don't need to retcon THAT much. Just say the Jets were dormant, then revived, and now Thrashers are dormant.

For all the talk about Phoenix "having Winnipeg's history" and Winnipeg "having" Atlanta's, let's be real: do you think WINNIPEG NHL TEAM is going to have Ilya Kovalchuk Night, or solemnly bow their heads for Dan Snyder? They don't care about any of that crap. That they got a team when Atlanta lost theirs is just means to an end; I highly doubt anyone has any desire to maintain the lineage of the Thrashers. So they don't have to. There.

http://en.wikipedia....nnipeg_NHL_Team

GO WINNIPEG NHL TEAM!

The middle step of bringing back the Jets as the Thrashers in 1999 doesn't make any sense. You don't need to retcon THAT much. Just say the Jets were dormant, then revived, and now Thrashers are dormant.

For all the talk about Phoenix "having Winnipeg's history" and Winnipeg "having" Atlanta's, let's be real: do you think WINNIPEG NHL TEAM is going to have Ilya Kovalchuk Night, or solemnly bow their heads for Dan Snyder? They don't care about any of that crap. That they got a team when Atlanta lost theirs is just means to an end; I highly doubt anyone has any desire to maintain the lineage of the Thrashers. So they don't have to. There.

Pretty much. Fans are going to trace the lineage back to the original Jets, no matter what. They would leave the Atlanta history to the city and Thrasher fans. I would say its very certain that the Jets history is officially stripped from Phoenix and given back to Winnipeg. I personally don't see an issue with that at all. Phoenix fans didn't root for any of the Winnipeg players, they didn't experience the Jets history.

They don't have one.

WINNIPEG GETS:

PHOENIX GETS:

If they're going to go with Jets then there is a way to reconfigure the history books so that it sort of makes sense.

You say that after 1996 the Jets franchise went dormant and that the Coyotes were a completely separate franchise. In 1999 the Jets franchise is "revived" as the Atlanta Thrashers. In 2011 they move "back" to Winnipeg and retake the Jets name.

Basically you do what the CFL did regarding the original Montreal Alouettes, the Montreal Concords, the Baltimore Stallions, and the current Montreal Alouettes, where a bunch of historical teams are merged as "one" franchise.

The problem with that is the Phoenix Coyotes never abandoned their Winnipeg roots. When they moved, they took all of that with them. Had they left all the history and said basically we are a brand new team and all of our record books show zeroes, than it would be okay for the new Winnipeg team if they are called the Jets to reclaim the old team's records. I don't know how you can just say 15 years later the Coyotes should abandon all that just because Winnipeg is coming back.

It doesn't mean the new Winnipeg team isn't going to or can't celebrate the past. I can already picture the team having a bunch of previous Winnipeg greats like Tie Domi come out and help the team welcome the NHL back to Winnipeg for its first game, regardless of what the team's name is.

As far as honouring Ilya Kovalchuk or Dan Snyder, they don't have to. But it's Kovalchuk or whoever it is will be the franchise's all time scoring leader and not somebody from the Winnipeg Jets/Phoenix Coyotes.

As for the name, I think it's down to either the Jets or Moose. True North already owns the Moose name and have built up the brand. The Jets name is easy to acquire and is an already made brand to go along with it.

Archived