Bills confirm new uniform for 2011

Nick in England

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm hoping they keep the red helmets and just get rid of the nickel and navy on the stripe. A white helmet wouldn't be bad, but the red says "Bills" a lot more to me. For the jerseys, I'd like to see an updated version of their throwbacks that has a little more red in it. But whatever they do, it can't be as bad as what they're wearing now.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Wait, whats wrong with the Bengals uniforms?

The number font

the side stripe

the orange yoke on the white jersey that doesn't match anything

the pants stripe

the vastly different cuts between players on the same team

the orange stripes on a black background on the orange and white jerseys (not tiger accurate)

the B logo on the front

Did I miss anything?

Overlapping nameplate.

Orange alternate jerseys.

Gimmicky helmet.

I'm not sure why they get all this crap for the helmet. The helmet's not that bad, and its better than what it replaced (which is a Browns helmet with "BENGALS" written on the side)

Also, Bills in throwbacks wouldn't be too bad. Especially compared to the current unis.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

They can't use the throwback with the standing Buffalo. Not enough pop and staying power. The Jets were able to do it because there is more substance to the logo. The bills hopefully will create some sort of hybrid throwback similar to San Diego with what I guess will be Royal Blue, Nickel(maybe piping), Red, White colors. White helmet, grey facemask, alternate royal blue pants and the charging buffalo logo.

The subtle hint is in the teams splash screen on the homepage...charging buffalo with white background. Just like when the sabres put the cross stitch lettering of the 40th anniversary logo in their page.

I'd like to see the Bills in red helmets, blue shirts, red pants, blue socks. Can't decide if I'd want red numbers or white numbers. It would be classic, yet colorful.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

((( SPIDER-SENSE TINGLING )))

I get the feeling they're sticking the current logo on a white helmet, going with the current throwbacks from the shoulders on down, and calling it a day. Which, if they do, would be so...predictable.

I know this is a FAT chance, probably fatter than Mark Mangino, but...whatever they do, can they PLEASE resurrect the Champion block numbers? Those numbers just scream "Bills" to me--and I get the feeling I ain't the only one who thinks that.

You're so right about the Champion numbers. For a "stock" font, they sure really became associated with the Bills. When they changed to the more traditional block during the latter years of the royal blue uniform set, it seemed like such a huge change to me - even though it was just one stock font for another - and really seemed to take the character out of the uniforms. Jim Kelly never looked right with a horizontal bar in his 2.

They definitely are more associated with them than the Bengals, Jets, Saints, and anyone else who was a Champion team during that era.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

((( SPIDER-SENSE TINGLING )))

I get the feeling they're sticking the current logo on a white helmet, going with the current throwbacks from the shoulders on down, and calling it a day. Which, if they do, would be so...predictable.

I know this is a FAT chance, probably fatter than Mark Mangino, but...whatever they do, can they PLEASE resurrect the Champion block numbers? Those numbers just scream "Bills" to me--and I get the feeling I ain't the only one who thinks that.

Oh man, I would LOVE for that to happen. As you said, it isn't likely. However, as others posted on here before, Adidas bought a factory that used or owned that font, or something like that. Adidas has used the classic Champion font for a few college teams over the past two years (Northwestern comes to mind). If Adidas/Reebok officially owns the font, we might see it as a one year nod to the past before Nike takes over, but I am not counting on it.

They can't use the throwback with the standing Buffalo. Not enough pop and staying power. The Jets were able to do it because there is more substance to the logo. The bills hopefully will create some sort of hybrid throwback similar to San Diego with what I guess will be Royal Blue, Nickel(maybe piping), Red, White colors. White helmet, grey facemask, alternate royal blue pants and the charging buffalo logo.

The subtle hint is in the teams splash screen on the homepage...charging buffalo with white background. Just like when the sabres put the cross stitch lettering of the 40th anniversary logo in their page.

First off, I think everything about the Chargers' mishmosh rebrand was terrible, as every element of the uniform is the worst they have worn. I don't think any team should strive to do things the way the Chargers did. The Bills colors are royal blue, red and white. The only point of contention is whether the hemlet should be red or white. It was dumb to add the nickel in to begin with, as it was a throwback to an era few knew about and fewer cared about. It would be like if the SF Giants tried to incorporate a pastel purple grid on their uniforms because they wore it for a year or two 90 years ago. The Bills need to send nickel to the scrap heap permanently.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Jim Kelly never looked right with a horizontal bar in his 2.

It's lines like this that make me love this board.

Anyways, my only hopes for the Bills is to keep it simple. Decide on one shade of blue (hopefully royal, like the throwbacks), ditch the "nickel", and don't touch the charging-buffalo logo. I personally like it better on white, but I wouldn't be opposed to keeping the red.

Isn't it NFL Properties that controls the bless-off on team identities and whatnot? If so, I wouldn't think it'd matter one iota whether it's Reebok or Nike (or whatever company they might outsource some work to) producing the uniforms.

Also, if this site was Twitter (which by the way I know nothing about), I'd bet this would be the most popular trending topic right now. Watch this thread blow up over the course of the rest of this day.

#BillsUnveilNewUniforms

Happy that I started it then!

4226186501_9e0cccf054_t.jpg

You're so right about the Champion numbers. For a "stock" font, they sure really became associated with the Bills. When they changed to the more traditional block during the latter years of the royal blue uniform set, it seemed like such a huge change to me - even though it was just one stock font for another - and really seemed to take the character out of the uniforms. Jim Kelly never looked right with a horizontal bar in his 2.

They definitely are more associated with them than the Bengals, Jets, Saints, and anyone else who was a Champion team during that era.

I agree. That font made the uniform, especially since the only other difference between them and the Giants from the neck down were the sock color, stipe width and inverse colored striping on the white elements. Hell, just look at this picture.

jim-kelly-todd-collins.jpg

To me, the uniform on the right looks like a cheap reproduction for a movie or throwback which didn't bother to get the font right.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Archived