Bills confirm new uniform for 2011

Nick in England

Wait, whats wrong with the Bengals uniforms?

Those idiotic side panels and the gaudy number font. If they just got rid of those two things, I'd have no problem with them.

Although they still wouldn't look as good as this:

10254390.jpg

Too bad they were associated with some of the most pitiful teams in league history.

Well, they did make it to two Super Bowls with those...

Sort of. I apologize as this is very nitpicky, but there was a small difference between the Boomer Esaison-era jerseys and the Jeff Blake-era jerseys, and that was that the Blake-era had the Bengal tiger on the sleeves, whereas the Esiason-era had the numbers on the sleeves. I know, very nitpicky, but technically in a way, they aren't the same jersey. :P

Boomer did play one season (1997) with the cat on the sleeves. Granted, it was his second stint in Cincinnati and the Super Bowl teams didn't have the cat on the sleeve.

112497boomerblake_500x309.jpg

Ah true, I totally forgot he came back for a year.

It was a minor change, but I think the bengal on the sleeves looks better. Not that the numbers on the sleeve looked bad (because they still really looked good), but that bengal logo is one of the best in the NFL.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those idiotic side panels and the gaudy number font. If they just got rid of those two things, I'd have no problem with them.

10254390.jpg

Too bad they were associated with some of the most pitiful teams in league history.

Sort of. I apologize as this is very nitpicky, but there was a small difference between the Boomer Esaison-era jerseys and the Jeff Blake-era jerseys, and that was that the Blake-era had the Bengal tiger on the sleeves, whereas the Esiason-era had the numbers on the sleeves. I know, very nitpicky, but technically in a way, they aren't the same jersey. :P

Boomer did play one season (1997) with the cat on the sleeves. Granted, it was his second stint in Cincinnati and the Super Bowl teams didn't have the cat on the sleeve.

It was a minor change, but I think the bengal on the sleeves looks better. Not that the numbers on the sleeve looked bad (because they still really looked good), but that bengal logo is one of the best in the NFL.

Also, the Tiger-on-Sleeve jerseys had (very slightly) narrower stripes, on both the shoulders and pants. Small change, but helpful. That was a great set.

10254390.jpg

Also, the Tiger-on-Sleeve jerseys had (very slightly) narrower stripes, on both the shoulders and pants. Small change, but helpful. That was a great set.

They were and still are my favorite football uniforms ever. It's only convenient that I'm a Bengals fan as well. When I learned that they were changing them I was crushed. They weren't given their fair shake and it's not their fault the organization put some of the worst teams in NFL history in them. If they had just held on two more years, then they'd still be wearing them. If jazzing them up was all they needed then the black pants that they wore only twice would've done the trick.

Oh and Boomer's last season did more to make him my all time favorite player than anything else he ever did. He came back for one last gas and went 4-1 with a terrible team that consisted of him and a rookie Corey Dillon. If he had started from the beginning of the season, I'm convinced that team would've made the playoffs.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Over on UniWatch today, Paul confesses that he's known about the change...and provides some extra insight

"Confession: I’ve known about this change since early December, when a little birdie told me about it but swore me to secrecy. So if anyone recently spotted me with a big smile on my face for no particular reason, now you know why.

Everyone wants to know what the new threads will look like. I don’t have any visuals, but I do have a description from the little birdie, which he’s willing to share now that the Bills have gone public with the news. So here it is — a Uni Watch exclusive:

These new Bills uniforms are clearly modeled after the later Simpson-era design, including the white helmet, but they’ve been updated to include a tiny amount of navy blue trim.

In my opinion, the navy blue is probably not necessary, but the uniforms do look quite good, and any sort of socks are an upgrade in my book. I wish they would update that darn logo, though. I’ve always preferred the solid red standing buffalo to the blue leaping buffalo, but I don’t think the retro logo works seamlessly with this new set, either. It is what it is. An upgrade, for sure."

Tiny amount of navy blue? I'm ok with that...if the royal blue is indeed bright. Navy could be a great trim alternative instead of black.

someone ought to be able to mock this up pretty quickly...it appears they're going with a clean (thank the Jesus) look.

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

According to the description, this is the new primary logo. The retro phase is getting out of hand when teams dump great logos like the leaping buffalo for a crappy blob like the buffalo silhouette that they are going to use.

337.gif

This logo is not good enough to be the team's primary logo.

Over on UniWatch today, Paul confesses that he's known about the change...and provides some extra insight

"Confession: I’ve known about this change since early December, when a little birdie told me about it but swore me to secrecy. So if anyone recently spotted me with a big smile on my face for no particular reason, now you know why.

Everyone wants to know what the new threads will look like. I don’t have any visuals, but I do have a description from the little birdie, which he’s willing to share now that the Bills have gone public with the news. So here it is — a Uni Watch exclusive:

These new Bills uniforms are clearly modeled after the later Simpson-era design, including the white helmet, but they’ve been updated to include a tiny amount of navy blue trim.

In my opinion, the navy blue is probably not necessary, but the uniforms do look quite good, and any sort of socks are an upgrade in my book. I wish they would update that darn logo, though. I’ve always preferred the solid red standing buffalo to the blue leaping buffalo, but I don’t think the retro logo works seamlessly with this new set, either. It is what it is. An upgrade, for sure."

Tiny amount of navy blue? I'm ok with that...if the royal blue is indeed bright. Navy could be a great trim alternative instead of black.

someone ought to be able to mock this up pretty quickly...it appears they're going with a clean (thank the Jesus) look.

So the set includes a navy mono with nickel trim? :D

new.oj.cut.jpg

But seriously, they sound pretty good. Look forward to seeing them.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

According to the description, this is the new primary logo. The retro phase is getting out of hand when teams dump great logos like the leaping buffalo for a crappy blob like the buffalo silhouette that they are going to use.

337.gif

What? They've clearly said they are keeping the leaping buffalo. Lukas says, "I wish they would update that darn logo, though. I?ve always preferred the solid red standing buffalo to the blue leaping buffalo, but I don?t think the retro logo works seamlessly with this new set, either. It is what it is. An upgrade, for sure"

337.gif

Um, every report, from Lucas' description to the Bills' own description, mentions that the logo's remaining unchanged. The boring, static standing buffalo isn't coming back. Don't know where you got that from.

That description doesn't necessarily say they're going to the standing buffalo, just that Paul Lukas prefers it to the charging buffalo. I have no idea how anyone could prefer that logo to one they've been using since, but that was Lukas injecting his own opinion.

It's a bummer we're going to lose one of the two red helmets in the NFL, but if done right, the white helmet can look really good. If they use a gray facemask, that will not be doing it right.

PvO6ZWJ.png

That description doesn't necessarily say they're going to the standing buffalo, just that Paul Lukas prefers it to the charging buffalo. I have no idea how anyone could prefer that logo to one they've been using since, but that was Lukas injecting his own opinion.

I hate the contemporary logo.

The speed line (or whatever they want to call it) looks an awful lot like a bullet track to me. That, plus the fact that the charging looks more like stumbling to its knees, gives me the impression that the logo depicts Buffalo Bill in the act of earning his nickname.

The idea of the charging buffalo is a good one. In practice, however, I prefer the original standing buffalo, because it's better executed. They need to pull a Detroit Lions on the helmet logo.

Holy crap, where did you get that Champion font? I need that. It is perfect except for an added notch on the 2.

As for the jerseys, the look is good. Hopefully Reebok doesn't try to cram them onto their bad new template, though. My only thing is, no matter how good the blue pants look with the road jersey, they absolutely shouldn't be in the team's wardrobe because the players will inevitably go mono-blue at home.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

The only thing I don't like about them using a white helmet: they would become the seventh team to do so, along with the Dolphins, Jets, Titans, Chargers, Colts and Cardinals, and would also make them the sixth AFC team to use a white helmet. In addition, that would make the New England Patriots the only team in the AFC East that doesn't use one.

Archived