2011 MLB Season Thread

Gary

F-ing LaRussa.

See this is why I've been lukewarm about the Cardinals' surge. I'm of the opinion that the franchise would be better off with him retiring at the end of the season, and I'm worried that making the playoffs might keep the Cardinals from encouraging him to do so.

LaRussa strikes me as one of those managers that will win you two games, but lose you one.

I regard him as one of the greatest managers in baseball history, and do think the Cardinals are better served with him then without him, but I definately feel the micromanaging criticisms do have merit. I've certainly seen times where I think he overanalyzes a situation that will cost a team a game here and there. Sometimes that can be a playoff game. That's just who he is. I can certainly understand why a fan or a front office wouldn't want a guy like that, but he could manage for my team. I will take the bad with the good.

If I'm the Cardinals fan though after today, I'm not happy because A they lost a very winnable game against the Mets, but more importantly because I think Albert is gone once the season ends. Allen Craig looks pretty good, and it doesen't make much sense to bring Lance Berkman back and have that kind of bat just sitting on the bench, unless you don't plan on playing Berkman as a right fielder. I'm sure the Cardinals will try to bring back Albert, but that's the biggest indicator I've seen yet that Albert's days in St. Louis are over once the season ends.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

F-ing LaRussa.

See this is why I've been lukewarm about the Cardinals' surge. I'm of the opinion that the franchise would be better off with him retiring at the end of the season, and I'm worried that making the playoffs might keep the Cardinals from encouraging him to do so.

LaRussa strikes me as one of those managers that will win you two games, but lose you one.

I regard him as one of the greatest managers in baseball history, and do think the Cardinals are better served with him then without him, but I definately feel the micromanaging criticisms do have merit. I've certainly seen times where I think he overanalyzes a situation that will cost a team a game here and there. Sometimes that can be a playoff game. That's just who he is. I can certainly understand why a fan or a front office wouldn't want a guy like that, but he could manage for my team. I will take the bad with the good.

If I'm the Cardinals fan though after today, I'm not happy because A they lost a very winnable game against the Mets, but more importantly because I think Albert is gone once the season ends. Allen Craig looks pretty good, and it doesen't make much sense to bring Lance Berkman back and have that kind of bat just sitting on the bench, unless you don't plan on playing Berkman as a right fielder. I'm sure the Cardinals will try to bring back Albert, but that's the biggest indicator I've seen yet that Albert's days in St. Louis are over once the season ends.

It's not the micromanagement alone that makes me want to see him gone. It's the fact that he's driven off one good young player too many with his goddamn head games that makes me want to see him gone.

Well, that, and I suspect he hasn't really given a :censored: about winning baseball games over the last year or two.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The Nats' Tom Milone, Ross Detwiler and Brad Peacock threw 19 scoreless innings against the Phillies this series. Future is bright!

John Lannan, meanwhile, looked like John Lannan.

I am encouraged by this sweep of the Phils. And Chris Marrero is going to be awesome once he starts developing some pop in his bat.

If I'm not mistaken, that's the Nats first ever sweep of the Phils.

The Nats' Tom Milone, Ross Detwiler and Brad Peacock threw 19 scoreless innings against the Phillies this series. Future is bright!

I am encouraged by this sweep of the Phils. And Chris Marrero is going to be awesome once he starts developing some pop in his bat.

Good job beating a team that didn't give a crap and didn't have Howard or Pence. Rollins, Victorino and Utley combining to go 0-36 in the series is pathetic...

btw the Diamondbacks clinched a share of the NL West title last night with the Giants loss

By my count, an entire season of "win you two games, but lose you one" would result in a .667 winning percentage.

That statement in general only refers to close games. Not 7-1 games. You make Tony LaRussa the manager of the Houston Astros they will suck. You make Brad Mills the manager of the Phillies they will still win around 100 games. There's just not that many situations I can come up with where I feel the manager is the number one reason for a team's success or failure. You have great talent your gonna win, bad talent your gonna lose. Most a manager I think can do is win or lose a team 10 games over a regular season.

By my count, an entire season of "win you two games, but lose you one" would result in a .667 winning percentage.

That statement in general only refers to close games. Not 7-1 games. You make Tony LaRussa the manager of the Houston Astros they will suck. You make Brad Mills the manager of the Phillies they will still win around 100 games. There's just not that many situations I can come up with where I feel the manager is the number one reason for a team's success or failure. You have great talent your gonna win, bad talent your gonna lose. Most a manager I think can do is win or lose a team 10 games over a regular season.

The bolded part is obvious. But the point remains. If Larussa is good for winning two out of every three of the games he has a role in winning or losing, what's the problem? I have no strong feelings one way or the other on LaRussa. I'm just trying to figure out why, by any parameter, winning two out of three is a bad thing.

All that aside, if managers don't make that much of a difference, why are we even debating their "ability?" Or in this case, lack thereof?

BB52Big.jpg

The bolded part is obvious. But the point remains. If Larussa is good for winning two out of every three of the games he has a role in winning or losing, what's the problem? I have no strong feelings one way or the other on LaRussa. I'm just trying to figure out why, by any parameter, winning two out of three is a bad thing.

All that aside, if managers don't make that much of a difference, why are we even debating their "ability?" Or in this case, lack thereof?

Well the two wins can be the two games that get you into the postseason and the one loss could be the deciding game of your first round series. I have seen LaRussa micromanage his team out of winning some big games at times. I could see why some people may have an issue with that.

Why people debate their ability I feel is because its one of those things where just about everyone feels like they can do a better job then the manager. No matter how good a manager or a coach does, there's always at least 10% of the fanbase that feels he should be fired. That goes with every sport though not just baseball. I'm sure there's Pats fans out there that feel Bill Belichick should be fired.

Out of the four major sports I feel a manager in baseball makes the least amount of difference. Just compare how active an MLB manager is during a game to how active an NBA coach is during a game. There's just only so much you can do as a manager to effect the outcome of a baseball game.

Good job beating a team that didn't give a crap and didn't have Howard or Pence.

Good job getting swept in four by a team that didn't have Michael Morse or Jayson Werth in the lineup for two of those games and didn't start Stephen Strasburg or Jordan Zimmermann once during the series. A sweep is a sweep.

Good job beating a team that didn't give a crap and didn't have Howard or Pence.

Good job getting swept in four by a team that didn't have Michael Morse or Jayson Werth in the lineup for two of those games and didn't start Stephen Strasburg or Jordan Zimmermann once during the series. A sweep is a sweep.

Not to mention the Nats went 10-8 against the Mighty Phillies this year.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Good job winning the season series against a team that won the division. Big :censored: in whoop. :P

Good job winning the season series against a team that won the division.

A team that was expected to win the division title anyway and win the World Series. The Nats were predicted to finish with anywhere between 90 and 100 losses this season and they have a shot to get to .500.

It would kinda suck for Phillies fans if the Phils don't win the WS this year; they'd call it a failed season. Nats fans? 75 wins without Strasburg's arm falling off is all the success we could have asked for. Our window opens in 2013. I can live with that.

Archived