2011 MLB Season Thread

Gary

I'm rooting for the Phillies, they deserve it more than anyone.

How do they deserve it more than, say, the Brewers? Is it because their fans have waited oh so long since their title in 2008? Or maybe having the third highest payroll in baseball makes you "deserve" somthing more than a team that makes do with pennies on the dollar (Rays)?

Speaking of the Brewers, I want them to win it all. I'd take Greinke-Marcum-Gallardo over anyone else's top three with the possible exception of Halladay-Hamels-Lee. They got guys who can hit consistently for average (Braun) and for power (Fielder), and a very underrated bullpen (which is where I believe the Phils fall short). Their big question mark is defense, but if they can get around the errors and defensive lapses, I think this is a team that could really make some serious noise.

As long as the Yankees don't win the World Series, I'll be happy. I agree it would be great for the Brewers, Braves, Rays, etc to win it all. What I guess I should have said was I would like to see the best team win.

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For what it's worth, I'd say assembling the best team in the league deserves a title, which is what I believe the Phillies have done -- plus they have the best attendance in the league. I don't like this idea that fans deserve it any less because they've won recently... they pay to see the games and buy the jerseys just as anyone else done.

Who deserves it more? The Rays (who spend $40m and play in front of 18,000 every night)?

IUe6Hvh.png

I don't like this idea that fans deserve it any less because they've won recently... they pay to see the games and buy the jerseys just as anyone else done.

I'd agree with you if I didn't know what the Phillies' attendance numbers were like before 2006. But then again that contradicts:

For what it's worth, I'd say assembling the best team in the league deserves a title

So if the Rays win the World Series it's undeserved, even though they did so with a payroll less than 1/4 that of the Phillies, because their fans don't show up to the games? It's not because of the product being put out on the field, that's for sure. Your logic is pretty suspect.

(A correction: the Phillies actually have the second-highest payroll in baseball. Not that it changes my argument at all.)

For what it's worth, I'd say assembling the best team in the league deserves a title, which is what I believe the Phillies have done -- plus they have the best attendance in the league. I don't like this idea that fans deserve it any less because they've won recently... they pay to see the games and buy the jerseys just as anyone else done.

Who deserves it more? The Rays (who spend $40m and play in front of 18,000 every night)?

So a team deserves a championship more because they have more fans?

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the 50-time Stanley Cup Champions, your Toronto Maple Leafs!

I actually came up with a new playoff format:

Much like today, there will be 2 leagues. But they will be different - the SML (Small Market League) and the BML (Big Market League). The BML will have all but one of its teams make the playoffs. The SML will have 1 team make the playoffs, who will play a 7-game series with the lowest seed in the BML. The SML Champion must win 6 of 7 to move on in every series it plays in.

The playoffs continue with a regular bracket system.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

No team "deserves" a championship, this isn't little league, you can't give everyone a medal and say everybody wins because Tampa plays in front of lousy crowds, or Philly has the best roster, or the Yankees spent the most money. Play the games, win the games, then you chat say that team deserved to win.

No team "deserves" a championship, this isn't little league, you can't give everyone a medal and say everybody wins because Tampa plays in front of lousy crowds, or Philly has the best roster, or the Yankees spent the most money. Play the games, win the games, then you chat say that team deserved to win.

I actually agree with this. My response was more just because they jumped on the guy who said the Phillies deserved it and there reasoning was that they spend money and recently won it, which I found pretty ridiculous, even for such a silly argument to start.

IUe6Hvh.png

The 1962 Mets' record in September: 6-18

The 2011 Red Sox' record in September: 5-17

That just sums it up, doesn't it?

This Red Sox collapse needs some Dropkick Murphys lyrics, so here we goooooo

You can take my urn to Fenway, spread my ashes all about

You can bring me down to Wolly Beach and dump the sucker out

Burn me to a rotten crisp and toast me for a while

I could really give a :censored:, I'm going out in style

/Feels so much better about the 07 Mets, and apparently the 62 Mets too

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

I'll repeat myself, because it seems to have gotten lost in the stupid: the Brewers should win it so that Bob Uecker can call a World Series win for his team. This would be the best. I say this as a Cubs fan.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I'll repeat myself, because it seems to have gotten lost in the stupid: the Brewers should win it so that Bob Uecker can call a World Series win for his team. This would be the best. I say this as a Cubs fan.

I agree 100%. Bob Uecker and the city of Milwaukee really deserve a championship after years and years of great support.

t5ty54wyetw_zpsubqd9h5t.jpg

St. Paul Pioneers(GHA) Minnesota Skeeters(CL) Minnesota Lake Monsters(UFL)

Well, those years and years weren't consecutive, but I think that can be forgiven. Some of those years, they weren't even trying.

It's cool to see Milwaukee as a full-fledged Baseball Town, though. Those Cubs-Brewers games from a few years ago where there'd be like 50,000 people packed like sardines into the park were a blast.

Let's not paint Milwaukee as a tortured fan base. I'll be rooting for Milwaukee too if Atlanta doesn't get past them in the playoffs. But those fans just got to experience a Super Bowl win. I think they will be alright with the fact that the Brewers went all in and tried to get that World Series this year.

I didn't paint them as such. In fact, I said they got off the boat for a while. The point about just getting a Super Bowl win has merit, but I don't think that means they're supposed to treat the best Brewers season in almost 30 years as mere gravy.

Archived