2011 MLB Season Thread

Gary

I have no problem with it. A few years ago when Miguel Cabrera was batting leadoff to get him extra AB's to try and help him, was that OK?

Wade Boggs won one by sitting the final 4 games of the season.

And let me ask you this: If Reyes went 0-3 today, and Braun was ahead, would he even take the field tonight? Of course he wouldn't. He'd sit to preserve the title.

It's won over 6 months, not today.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
anders' timestamp='1317247955' post='1650513']

I have no problem with it. A few years ago when Miguel Cabrera was batting leadoff to get him extra AB's to try and help him, was that OK?

And let me ask you this: If Reyes went 0-3 today, and Braun was ahead, would he even take the field tonight? Of course he wouldn't. He'd sit to preserve the title.

Why would anyone have a problem with what Cabrera did. What Reyes did and Boggs to even worst extent is lame.

I only say that because it's "going out of their way" to "manipulate" the race. He has no business leading off other than to have tried to help him win it (and he was unable to). That's all it was.

Players always have and always will tinker like that.

There's so many factors at play over the course of the season. Hits that were scored errors, and errors that were scored hits. Sometimes you get robbed by a defender. Sometimes you get a sacrifice fly (Which is a farce...I'd say 98% of sac-flies don't have the intent just to get the bat on the ball to put it deep enough to score a run, you're not giving yourself up when you swing for the downs and there happens to be someone on 3rd to scamper home), whatever. It's not won or lost solely on what happened today.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

I only say that because it's "going out of their way" to "manipulate" the race. He has no business leading off other than to have tried to help him win it (and he was unable to). That's all it was.

Players always have and always will tinker like that.

There's so many factors at play over the course of the season. Hits that were scored errors, and errors that were scored hits. Sometimes you get robbed by a defender. Sometimes you get a sacrifice fly (Which is a farce...I'd say 98% of sac-flies don't have the intent just to get the bat on the ball to put it deep enough to score a run, you're not giving yourself up when you swing for the downs and there happens to be someone on 3rd to scamper home), whatever. It's not won or lost solely on what happened today.

Perhaps Reyes just wanted to get a head start on leaving the Mets.....

My prediction for tonight: Rays lose. Red Sox, Cards, and Braves win.

Looks like that is what is going to happen. Teixeira hits a GS to put New York up 5-0.

Well, there are a couple of other games that still need play out. B)

Still looks like that is what is going to happen. :P

Would of loved to see the Sox complete the collapse, but Tropicana Convention Center is an awful setting for playoff baseball.

Calling the Trop a convention center is an insult. I think Tropicana Warehouse is better.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I didn't say Swisher was a bag guy or a horrible person, just that he was a douche. I think a big part of his struggles in Chicago was that he was counted on to be a big part of the offense. Oakland was a laid back place, as winning wasn't required. When he went to NY, I believe he started as a fourth outfielder before getting the role fulltime. Either way, they have A-Roid, Teixiera, Jeter and others who are expected to carry the load. No pressure is put on Swisher there.

Yeah, because the A's never got to within four games of the World Series while he was there or anything...

Yes, they had a good year in 2006. That doesn't change the fact that the sole purpose of every A's player was not to win, but to play well enough to one day be traded for prospects who could then be traded for more prospects.

I think you're arguing both sides of the coin - Swisher is doing well in NY because other players take the pressure off him, and he did well in Oakland because there wasn't pressure to win?

When you wear Yankee pinstripes, there is always pressure to win. Doesn't matter how many other All-Stars are in your dugout, every single player has to come through.

I have a huge problem with it. Ted Williams had it right. You win it over the whole season, not by checking out when it might help you.

Would of loved to see the Sox complete the collapse, but Tropicana Convention Center is an awful setting for playoff baseball.

Who cares about attendance? When you go 7-19 in September while choking up the division and wildcard leads along the way, you don't deserve to go to the playoffs no matter how bad the other team's attendance is. What makes me sick is that we're absolutely getting crushed in the most important game of this season, the Sox will sneak into the playoffs, and then to top the :censored: sundae, they'll fluke their way to at least one series victory and all the pink-hat bandwagoners will come out of their hiding places and brag like the month of September never happened (probably because they didn't watch any games).

Baseball sucks. B)

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Who cares about attendance? When you go 7-19 in September while choking up the division and wildcard leads along the way, you don't deserve to go to the playoffs no matter how bad the other team's attendance is. What makes me sick is that we're absolutely getting crushed in the most important game of this season, the Sox will sneak into the playoffs, and then to top the :censored: sundae, they'll fluke their way to at least one series victory and all the pink-hat bandwagoners will come out of their hiding places and brag like the month of September never happened (probably because they didn't watch any games).

Baseball sucks. B)

Plus those lazy bums from Boston are going to use "it's too wet" as an excuse to call the game early and sneak out with a win. ^_^

Archived