2011 MLB Season Thread

Gary

In order for Boston to clinch tomorrow they are going to have to do something they haven't done since August. Win back to back games.

And pray for the Yankees, who likely will have a AAA lineup win.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's nowhere else to put them. One of the best baseball organizations in the game never should've been created in the first place.

Yeah, this was a much easier problem to solve back when Naimoli owned the team, and everything about it on and off the field was godforsaken.

How many years have they got left on the lease in that lopsided mausoleum?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Not that I want to stick my head in the lion's mouth here but... You do understand that about the least important aspect of a sports talk show is "sports expertise and analysis" right? As a former sports talk radio show host myself, I can tell you that the main goal of any show is to entertain. That means doing whatever it takes to engage the listener; including pissing them off.

I realize that fully, which is part of the reason I don't listen to sports talk. If it were rational sports talk, I would listen. However, it is "entertainment", so it's not for me.

Sad to say, we don't make money with rational.

Scott Van Pelt and Dan Patrick are pretty rational, but their shows are also really good. Most guys, Cowherd included, aren't good enough to be rational and attract listeners, so they have to resort to controversy.

My life got a lot better when I gave up on sports talk radio. I haven't listened to it in about a year and I don't miss it.

PvO6ZWJ.png

There's nowhere else to put them. One of the best baseball organizations in the game never should've been created in the first place.

Yeah, this was a much easier problem to solve back when Naimoli owned the team, and everything about it on and off the field was godforsaken.

How many years have they got left on the lease in that lopsided mausoleum?

16, but no matter how airtight St. Petersburg claims the lease is, there is no way the Rays will still be there in 2027.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

:censored: it, move 'em down to Orlando and have Disney sell packages with trips to WDW and the stadium all in one swoop.

I don't see Orlando being any bigger of a draw then Tampa is even with the Disney appeal. People aren't going to go to Disney World to watch a baseball game. They might for the NFL, which is the same reason why I think an NFL could work in Vegas but not any other sport at this time, but unless your team is in first place, your not matching Disney World in terms of entertainment value.

The problem is your in the south where college football comes first, second and third on the pecking order of sports with the NFL four and NASCAR five. There's just no room to fit the MLB in. Too much other stuff going on.

Where the Rays could move, Portland or San Antonio would be my first two choices, but no city has a major league ready ballpark that doesen't also have a team, so the Rays aren't going anywhere for at least another three years. Any city with a minor league ballpark that could be renovated would take at least two years as well.

jose Reyes singles in the first inning and takes over the NL batting title lead from Ryan Bruan, and the Mets immediately take him out of the game.

Okay or bush league?

Thoughts...

I think it is a little bush, but at the same time its not unprecedented either.

Al Rosen may have been cost the triple crown in '53 after Washington pulled Mickey Vernon to give him the battle crown on the last day of the season. That's probably the most famous incident of something like that happening.

So yeah a bit bush, but I can't really make a big deal over it either considering its been done before.

I remember Joe Torre taken Bernie Williams out of the final game in the 6th inning in 1998 after going 2-2, but the Yankees were blowing out the Devil Rays. I may be wrong about this, but I believe he took most of the starters out of the game before he took Bernie out. This was 1998, so the Yankees obviously had the division well in hand.

I'm pretty sure that Ted Williams was offered to be scratched for the final 3 games of a season to maintain his .400 average, but he declined, because he just wanted to have fun and play, and was confident that he wouldn't blow it.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

I's pretty sure that Ted Williams was offered to be scratched for the final 3 games of a season to maintain his .400 average, but he declined, because he just wanted to have fun and play, and was confident that he wouldn't blow it.

Not quite. His average going into the season-ending doubleheader was .3995, which would have been rounded up to .400, so the manager wanted to sit him. Williams wanted to play, and ended up going 6 for 8 over the two games to finish hitting .406.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Archived