2011 MLB Season Thread

Gary

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Francona done in Boston.

Francona: "I've had my fill of the whole thing." I'd imagine this past month probably took off 10 years from his life. :P

Whenever a GM comes out to say publically they support a manager, the result is the manager getting fired pretty much 100% of the time and I think Francona knows he's going to be gone as well.

I think this is one of those you can't fire me because I quit kind of situations. His story isn't adding up either because on one hand he's claiming stress, but on the other its more likely then not that he'll be managing somewhere next year, so he can't be that stressed out if he still wants to manage.

Boston high-payroll Francona is the same as late '90s Philadelphia no-payroll Francona. Dude was the ultimate "right place, right time" guy. He swallowed Shilling's semen every day in Philadelphia which is why Curt lobbied for his hiring in Boston. The guy is a pushover, and more-less a puppet. If he voluntarily walks away from that gig, that may be the dumbest career move anyone has ever made.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Francona will take a year off and be the big Manager to get in 2013 and will cash in.

He's in a spot where he can do whatever he wants. There's not going to be a team in baseball with a managerial opening that's not going to want Terry Francona.

He and Kenny Williams apparently have a very good relationship and he has a history with the White Sox orginazation who I think would be willing to throw some bucks to get Francona, so it could be as simple as that but we'll see. If that is the case, I think he's going to be hired very soon, probably before the playoffs are even over with.

Or he could go off be analyst for as long as he wants to be until a job he likes opens up and then he'll come back. Either way I don't think anyone out there believes Terry Francona has managed his last game.

He and Kenny Williams apparently have a very good relationship and he has a history with the White Sox orginazation who I think would be willing to throw some bucks to get Francona, so it could be as simple as that but we'll see.

Jerry Reinsdorf doesn't hire established coaches. They have agents, and he requires direct negotations. That's why he didn't let Kenny hire Cito Gaston and hired Ozzie Guillen for him instead.

It's probably going to be Harold Baines. Long-time Sox guy, another one of Jerry's surrogate sons, will work cheap.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Last night's games were awesome!!!!! Everybody in Tampa is probably excited except for some of the people that went home early and of course, this guy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2ZoOKiePKM

... and naturally, it came off the bat of JOHNSON!

Turns out that some* Red Sox fans are using the "the Yankees threw the game last night" argument and blaming Joe Girardi because he didn't use Rivera. Jesus, do they really think the reason their team isn't in the playoffs is because Girardi didn't pitch Rivera last night? Right. Because going 7-20 in September and being unable to beat the Baltimore Orioles when your season was on the line had nothing to do with it. Damn, I get being bitter and all but c'mon. :rolleyes:

*Note that I said some, not all. B)

There's a person on Twitter that I follow, a Red Sox fan, who complained that they were "tanking" the games against the Rays... that was LAST WEEK!

I saw, I came, I left.

Charlie Manuel said that once they clinched, they were going to rest players and experiment with lineups (basically tank it) against the crappy teams (WAS, NYM, etc) but that they owed it to the integrity of the game to play hard and try against any team still in a race (they tanked to STL the night after clinching though, not sure if they were considered "in the race" at that point.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Turns out that some* Red Sox fans are using the "the Yankees threw the game last night" argument and blaming Joe Girardi because he didn't use Rivera. Jesus, do they really think the reason their team isn't in the playoffs is because Girardi didn't pitch Rivera last night? Right. Because going 7-20 in September and being unable to beat the Baltimore Orioles when your season was on the line had nothing to do with it. Damn, I get being bitter and all but c'mon. :rolleyes:

*Note that I said some, not all. B)

This is the reason so many people are enjoying Red Sox Schadenfreude 2011.

That and it's entertaining to see teams ESPN calls "the best of all time" collapse and miss the post-season.

He and Kenny Williams apparently have a very good relationship and he has a history with the White Sox orginazation who I think would be willing to throw some bucks to get Francona, so it could be as simple as that but we'll see.

Jerry Reinsdorf doesn't hire established coaches. They have agents, and he requires direct negotations. That's why he didn't let Kenny hire Cito Gaston and hired Ozzie Guillen for him instead.

It's probably going to be Harold Baines. Long-time Sox guy, another one of Jerry's surrogate sons, will work cheap.

Early candidates on the Sox' list are Sandy Alomar, Jr., Dave Martinez, Francona and... Ryne Sandberg.

And I don't know where the "Reinsdorf won't hire an established manager" thing comes from. Sure, every Sox manager he hired during his tenure was a first timer, but 1) He hired Tibbs for the Bulls last year, and while he wasn't 'established', he has an agent; 2) Reinsdorf negotiated a deal to bring LaRussa (alond with Dave Duncan) back in 1998. Then GM Ron Scheuler stomped is feet and said "it's either him or me" and the deal was called off.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Early candidates on the Sox' list are Sandy Alomar, Jr., Dave Martinez, Francona and... Ryne Sandberg.

And I don't know where the "Reinsdorf won't hire an established manager" thing comes from. Sure, every Sox manager he hired during his tenure was a first timer, but 1) He hired Tibbs for the Bulls last year, and while he wasn't 'established', he has an agent; 2) Reinsdorf negotiated a deal to bring LaRussa (alond with Dave Duncan) back in 1998. Then GM Ron Scheuler stomped is feet and said "it's either him or me" and the deal was called off.

I suspect that if they offer it to Sandberg he'd take it because he wants to be a major-league manager so bad and felt robbed by the Cubs, but as of now, he's probably the heir-apparent to Charlie Manuel if he just hangs on in AAA for another season or two, and that may be a more attractive situation for him.

And I don't know where the "Reinsdorf won't hire an established manager" thing comes from.

Comes from pulling rank on his general managers twice in recent years by supplanting Cito Gaston and Doug Collins with Ozzie Guillen and Vinny Del Negro.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Cubs are requiring season ticketholders to renew by November instead of January. Pretty lousy of them. Remarkably they drew 3 million people to the ballpark this season. *sigh* Ricketts is suddenly seeing that this is why he bought the team - profit regardless of success.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

The Cubs are requiring season ticketholders to renew by November instead of January. Pretty lousy of them. Remarkably they drew 3 million people to the ballpark this season. *sigh* Ricketts is suddenly seeing that this is why he bought the team - profit regardless of success.

The Twins date was Sept 26.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

The Twins date was Sept 26.

Right, but the Twins are a franchise that, ya know, wants to get better in their new ballpark. The Cubs are quite happy doing f___all in their old crumbling ruin.

Also, the Cooper Stone first pitch to Hamilton moment was on equal par of baseball incredible-ness with what happened a few days ago.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Archived