Not the Minnesota Wild?

OMMF

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

please edit that post so it doesn't take three minutes to scroll down the page.

"Voyageurs" would be a good name for a Milwaukee NHL team if they wanted to leave the Admirals name in minor-league history. Milwaukee has a nice little French-exploration heritage that gets overlooked.

That was one of the names Marquette considered after the whole "Gold" fiasco... even more fitting for a school named after one of those French explorers. Not sure I like it for a pro hockey team though... not to mention the sophomoric smartassery it lends itself to (i.e. voyeurs).

Their expansion brothers are the BJ's. Everyone would've been too busy giggling about that to dig to the point to turn Voyageurs into a joke.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Obviously these would not have been the designs of their corresponding names...they'd have put more effort into it and it would be better. Voyagers and White Bears would have been better, Blue Ox would have been a push, and Freeze would have been even worse. Northern Lights would have been trying too hard to appeal to our love of the North Stars...I am glad they avoided trying that.

Well, the name stinks, but we're used to it and what's done is done. They made up for it a bit with their logo.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Besides the name and logo, I liked the Freeze jerseys...the NHL needs a light blue/red team, but "Freeze" shouldn't even be a pro hockey team's logo at all.

I actually liked the Northern Light's (non-glow-effect, for lack of a better term) identity; something that's different from the North Stars yet tips the hat to Minnesota's NHL past. I believe that Montana St. uses the Northern Lights name, so it's not unprecedented.

That said, there wasn't any need to not re-use the North Stars name; Dallas could remain the Stars; again, two similar yet not identical names like these in a 30-team league could fly.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

Freeze and White Bears? They look so very weak.

Blue Ox? The color scheme is okay but the logo design doesn't look as strong as the nickname would suggest.

Voyagers? Very nice logo design (it clearly has a Wild influence) but the monochromatic color pallet downgrades it; also not good to have it positioned so vertically (my head kept tilting to the right in order to get a good look).

Northern Lights? I agree that it had some potential, and the logo clearly has a North Stars vibe to it (though the color scheme and wordmark also gives it a Baltimore Ravens vibe). But I bet those "hyper color" jerseys would've been laughed right out of the league. ("The 90s called; they want those jerseys back.")

Unfortunately, the best name for the team wasn't in there: The North Stars. They could have just re-named the Dallas team the Mooteruses... Mooteri..?

"Minnesota North Stars" has such an ear-pleasing cadence, like "needle in a haystack." The N-Star logo was awesome, too. All that said, I don't know what the hell is going on in that picture. It looks like the '90s threw up.

That whole process of identifying the team should have started and ended with the following:

North Stars

NSlogo.gif

NSuniform.jpg

And 'Welcome Back to the NHL'.

For my money the whole package put together is borderline perfect.

beatingadeadhorse.jpg

Other than the Northern Lights logo, I feel like the White Bears had some potential, but it's like they just stopped trying after they thought of a Polar Bear as the logo, and the sweaters were just awful. But think of the great rivalry they could have forged with the Penguins as opposing Pole animals.

teams.png

Naming the team the North Stars is right up there with the Jazz and Hornets switching names on the bad ideas list.

Not only is it dishonest (the real North Stars moved to Dallas, the team down there owns that history) but it also would have sounded silly having a team called the North Stars in the same league as a team called the Stars.

Northern Lights? I agree that it had some potential, and the logo clearly has a North Stars vibe to it (though the color scheme and wordmark also gives it a Baltimore Ravens vibe). But I bet those "hyper color" jerseys would've been laughed right out of the league. ("The 90s called; they want those jerseys back.")

Well, it was the 1990s, after all. It would have looked appropriate for a year or two, then they would have abandoned it for something reasonable, and it would be relegated to Wild Wing "remember when they wore that ugly sweater?" status.

I wouldn't have minded the Voyagers..kind of goes along with the Vikings too. Everything else just sucks. Blue Ox? Really?

I can think of 2 names off the top of my head that are much better than any of these and IMO better than the Wild.

Minnesota Muskies? They were a ABA team way back. It's got a nice ring.

Minnesota Mallards? Close to the Ducks, but even so.

Minnesota Monarchs?

Not even on the finalist list. :therock:

sig.png

I'm an utter :censored: ing retard.

Thank you, Captain Obvious.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

The first time I saw the Wild nickname I was in a hockey equipment store and it was on a hat with their old shoulder patch logo (the circular one with the wild "Wild" script). I laughed out loud (but I was also 12 at the time). I thought it was the dumbest name they could've chosen. They really saved the nickname with the logo. It's one of the best logos in sports, but one of the worst nicknames in sports.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Blue Ox? Really?

Yes, really.

I think it's a great name. It's distinctive, bold, and has local color.

Even if everybody knows that Babe and Paul lived a bit to the East, on the other side of the Mississippi. ;)

And you can still dine at their home.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived