Anaheim Kings?

alwaysr92

• Replies 799
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the Kings ought to consider moving to Seattle. Stern REALLY wants a team back up there anyway, plus as a bonus Seattle is located in King County, Washington.

Stern expects another team in Seattle.

If it were me, I might alter the colors to an Emerald Green and Blue, call the team the Seattle Sea Kings and have a new logo with Poseidon wielding a trident.

Everybody wins. The league gets a team back in a major West Coast market, Seattle gets a team back - even if it isn't the Sonics and there isn't another team infringing on a market that already has two other teams in it. I'm sure it's easier to get a flight to Las Vegas from Seattle than it is from Sacramento anyway.

Please, God... let this happen, if for no other reason than to have this logo grace the NBA again...

cxe7hh6lwjtpdhcoyiuc064sp.gif

I think the Kings ought to consider moving to Seattle. Stern REALLY wants a team back up there anyway, plus as a bonus Seattle is located in King County, Washington.

If it were me, I might alter the colors to an Emerald Green and Blue, call the team the Seattle Sea Kings and have a new logo with Poseidon wielding a trident.

Everybody wins. The league gets a team back in a major West Coast market, Seattle gets a team back - even if it isn't the Sonics and there isn't another team infringing on a market that already has two other teams in it. I'm sure it's easier to get a flight to Las Vegas from Seattle than it is from Sacramento anyway.

Please, God... let this happen, if for no other reason than to have this logo grace the NBA again...

The Maloof's have no interest in moving to Seattle. There are plenty of flights from Sacramento to Las Vegas not that it matters to the Maloof family since they have a private jet.

The Maloof's have proven themselves to be the Charles Wang of NBA owners. They've devalued the team to the point where people won't go to the games. Yes, Arco or the Power Band Pavilion or whatever they're calling it now is a bad arena but it's not Nassau Coliseum bad.

Also, the two most recent rounds of arena planning have produced some of the most bizarre development groups and plans I have ever seen. There are three and only three good locations for the arena. First, is right where it is now Build it in the parking lot or move the team to Stockton for a year to play in the Stockton Arena while the new arena is built in Natomas. Two, is build it where the Downtown Plaza mall is now at 7th and K Streets. Third, is the area just south of Raley Field in West Sacramento (a site I've been suggesting for at least five years now).

As it currently stands, the Maloof's have the worst PR people ever and will not be able to get any kind of money for the arena from the city or county because there isn't any money there for the project. They also appear to be burning every bridge they can in town through everything going on and the relocation talk is not helping things. If they really want to move the Kings to Anaheim then they should just do it already and stop jerking around the fans of Sacramento.

Seattle isn't getting another team until they get a new facility. End of story.

Besides, I'd hate for the Kings to go. They're one of the oldest pro basketball organizations in existence. I'd hate for them to have to abandon that identity so they can pretend they're the Seattle Supersonics.

Anaheim Kings is a good but how about the Anaheim Monarchs.

I think on Feb 28 2012 The NBA Kings will be either on KDOC 56 or KTLA 5 and on the radio side KLAA 830 would be a logical choice.

How about Sacramento Kings...

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=310228023

Remember, they're not gone yet. Here We Stay!

Yes, because a chant and beating a team with a 21-40 record (5-25 on the road), is going to make up for having a crappy arena and disuade them from moving to the 2nd largest market in the country.

Looks like the NBA is giving the Kings until April 18th to decide now. That's the good.

The bad is that the ICON/Taylor report which is essentially the city's last shot won't be complete by then (it won't be done until early to mid May). The second bad today is that at last report the Maloofs had not provided ICON with financial records, etc... that they had promised they would. And the third bad is that Power Balance, which was putting it's name on Arco Arena as of today has decided not to at least for the time being (whether they're delaying until the Maloofs make a decision or not remains to be seen)...

blogs.sacbee.com/sports/kings/archives/2011/03/power-balance-n.html

Either way though, the bad still seems to outweigh the good...

That link gave me a certificate error. Curious to read it, though.

Here's the AP story:

NBA gives Kings until April 18 to mull relocation plans

Call me crazy, but I'd rather they avoid recycled names like Royals, Kings (duplicate in L.A.) or Monarchs (not bad, but WNBA got there first, in Sacto no less) and try something like Anaheim Frogs with a frog "prince" (or king) logo and green and orange colors. To play at the Pond with the Ducks, of course. Ok, I'll call myself crazy.

I think on Feb 28 2012 The NBA Kings will be either on KDOC 56 or KTLA 5 and on the radio side KLAA 830 would be a logical choice.

Hey I gotta give the Kings fans credits for the support they gave them last night. Anaheim didn't care when the Rams left LA!

Here's the AP story:

Call me crazy, but I'd rather they avoid recycled names like Royals, Kings (duplicate in L.A.) or Monarchs (not bad, but WNBA got there first, in Sacto no less) and try something like Anaheim Frogs with a frog "prince" (or king) logo and green and orange colors. To play at the Pond with the Ducks, of course. Ok, I'll call myself crazy.

RHI's flagship squad might have something to say about that.

bYhYmxh.png

Hey I gotta give the Kings fans credits for the support they gave them last night. Anaheim didn't care when the Rams left LA!

Based on talking to a few people who were there last night and talked to the Maloofs they did notice too. Hopefully the people in Sac can influence the Maloofs because they don't seem as gung ho to get out of town as Clay Bennett was to get out of Seattle.

Here's the AP story:

Who?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Here's the AP story:

Who?

Hadn't heard of them either, but it's even got some purple in there, so let's give him a basketball and go with it. (Kidding.)

The Maloof's have no interest in moving to Seattle. There are plenty of flights from Sacramento to Las Vegas not that it matters to the Maloof family since they have a private jet.

The Maloof's have proven themselves to be the Charles Wang of NBA owners. They've devalued the team to the point where people won't go to the games. Yes, Arco or the Power Band Pavilion or whatever they're calling it now is a bad arena but it's not Nassau Coliseum bad.

Also, the two most recent rounds of arena planning have produced some of the most bizarre development groups and plans I have ever seen. There are three and only three good locations for the arena. First, is right where it is now Build it in the parking lot or move the team to Stockton for a year to play in the Stockton Arena while the new arena is built in Natomas. Two, is build it where the Downtown Plaza mall is now at 7th and K Streets. Third, is the area just south of Raley Field in West Sacramento (a site I've been suggesting for at least five years now).

As it currently stands, the Maloof's have the worst PR people ever and will not be able to get any kind of money for the arena from the city or county because there isn't any money there for the project. They also appear to be burning every bridge they can in town through everything going on and the relocation talk is not helping things. If they really want to move the Kings to Anaheim then they should just do it already and stop jerking around the fans of Sacramento.

I know. I'm just hopeful whenever I read something that says the Supersonics have a chance at returning. I mean, other than the Spurs, that was a childhood team of mine I grew up watching. Personally, I'm not for really anybody losing their team just so the Supersonics can be reborn again in Seattle. Even though expansion is definitely a no go at this point. I'm just hopeful that the city of Seattle, after it deals with other issues, can figure out plans for a new facility. If they were to do that, I really think David Stern wouldn't mind having a team play at the Key for a season or two, and then let them setup shop at the new arena.

Based on talking to a few people who were there last night and talked to the Maloofs they did notice too. Hopefully the people in Sac can influence the Maloofs because they don't seem as gung ho to get out of town as Clay Bennett was to get out of Seattle.

Well, the Maloofs have a lot more history with Sacramento, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that they have mixed feelings. Clay Bennett was clearly going to take the Sonics (or any other team he got his hands on) to OKC, no matter how much he and the NBA spun the story.

As for the Kings fans, I give them credit, too. They came out in force.

However, now that the deadline has been extended, they need to keep it up for the rest of the season. Feb. 28 was an easy target date to get everyone mobilized for one game on short notice. How could the Kings turn around the next day and file for relocation after that show of support and passion? I wouldn't put it past the NBA to delay what many - even Mayor Kevin Johnson - seem to think is the inevitable for just even the smallest bit of extra "good" PR that a few more empty seats down the stretch may provide. After all, that date doesn't extend long enough for the Sacto arena report.

I'm rooting for Sacramento. I love how the NBA embraces smaller towns and in some cases creates major league markets. A move to Anaheim would signal a big shift in philosophy, but it just seems like it might be too late for an arena in Sacramento. They should have floated a Vegas threat when it looked to be on its way to viable. (Anaheim Palms, anyone?)

Looks like the NBA is giving the Kings until April 18th to decide now. That's the good.

The bad is that the ICON/Taylor report which is essentially the city's last shot won't be complete by then (it won't be done until early to mid May). The second bad today is that at last report the Maloofs had not provided ICON with financial records, etc... that they had promised they would. And the third bad is that Power Balance, which was putting it's name on Arco Arena as of today has decided not to at least for the time being (whether they're delaying until the Maloofs make a decision or not remains to be seen)...

The key issue is that the Maloof's need to act in good faith. The fact that they haven't released the financials to the ICON/Taylor group is an indication of one of two things. First, they are acting in bad faith plain and simple (which is probably the bad end of the situation as I believe they are more inept than anything else) or that there is something on those financials that they don't want anyone to see, i.e., prospective lenders, ICON or others because they know that once its out there it will be all over the news both in Sacramento and nationally.

Based upon what I've been hearing from people in the know and based on reports of their businesses failing (selling the family beer distributorship and the financial issues with The Palms) I'm thinking it's the later especially in light of the naming rights deal being put on hold.

As a (now) Sacramentan after living there for over a decade, I hope the Kings stay

however, with the Maloof's right now it's just not a certainty.

The key issue is that the Maloof's need to act in good faith. The fact that they haven't released the financials to the ICON/Taylor group is an indication of one of two things. First, they are acting in bad faith plain and simple (which is probably the bad end of the situation as I believe they are more inept than anything else) or that there is something on those financials that they don't want anyone to see, i.e., prospective lenders, ICON or others because they know that once its out there it will be all over the news both in Sacramento and nationally.

Based upon what I've been hearing from people in the know and based on reports of their businesses failing (selling the family beer distributorship and the financial issues with The Palms) I'm thinking it's the later especially in light of the naming rights deal being put on hold.

As a (now) Sacramentan after living there for over a decade, I hope the Kings stay

however, with the Maloof's right now it's just not a certainty.

After I posted that it broke that the Maloofs did finally provide some of their financials to ICON. But the bad is now that apparently they didn't provide nearly enough according to KJ. Which means two things in my mind, one, they're still dragging their feet, and two it seems there is a disconnect in communication between the city and the Maloofs which is not a good sign at this late juncture.

Archived