Davidson's Logo Design Tutorials

Davidson

Really fascinating videos. Although I'm not sure how much of a tutorial these are: it's like wathcing Kobe Bryant highlight reel to learn a jumpshot. There's just so much natural talent and so many years of work that even the more difficult things seem so easy and natural. Nonetheless, great videos.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I gave this a whirl, although I did give it my own little cartoony twist.

Kendrick.png

Original image

I really dig the style. The player isn't instantly recognizable, but I'm sure that's just a tweak or two away. I thinks it's mainly in the eyes.

kCkLFSX.pngWGUTHKC.pngnbweR1j.png

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

Kendrick.png

Original image

I really dig the style. The player isn't instantly recognizable, but I'm sure that's just a tweak or two away. I thinks it's mainly in the eyes.

Yeah, I'm still working out the details. I used the image as a mere base and just kind of exaggerated the giant smile and squnty eyes. Google Howie Kendrick....probably 75% of the images are going to be squinty eyes and giant smiles.

Kendrick.png

Original image

Yeah, I'm still working out the details. I used the image as a mere base and just kind of exaggerated the giant smile and squnty eyes. Google Howie Kendrick....probably 75% of the images are going to be squinty eyes and giant smiles.

I did a little more work while I was bored at work today...

HKendrick.png

Kendrick.png

Original image

I did a little more work while I was bored at work today...

HKendrick.png

Enjoy your take on this a lot! halo is a nice touch.

Oh my goodness. Davidson, as usual, you blow me away. You're absurdly talented, and I love reading your threads and watching your videos.

I'm so inspired to create something after watching these videos. However, having never created images with the pen tool: methinks my attempts will be much less remarkable than those posted here!

Also, Shumway, I love your take on Howie Kendrick. It's fabulous!

SIGNATURE.png

Heres my first take at it.

DavidsonProject.png

the picture i started with was this one of jake locker.. then i changed it from there to make it look good

I really love the render style, but it lost any resemblance of Locker in the process.

kCkLFSX.pngWGUTHKC.pngnbweR1j.png

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

Heres my first take at it.

DavidsonProject.png

the picture i started with was this one of jake locker.. then i changed it from there to make it look good

I really love the render style, but it lost any resemblance of Locker in the process.

i originally traced out some features on the left side of locker's face and then when i mirrored it over i just gave up on making it look like him and instead went with a generic look.

sigmiller.png

Just amazing work Davidson... I do really hope one day i am that skilled in illustrator! What is the program your using to create the overlay on the logos? It's always on the end of the videos... Thanks

Cheers,

The thing I grade in is Adobe After Effects, using the Magic Bullet Looks suite and Video Copilot Optical Flares for the lighting.

Cheers Fraser, amazing vids to show the processes you go through. You truly are amazing when it comes to stuff like this. Always look out for your work, do you buy the software yourself or is it supplied by mainframe?

logo.png

Just amazing work Davidson... I do really hope one day i am that skilled in illustrator! What is the program your using to create the overlay on the logos? It's always on the end of the videos... Thanks

Cheers,

The thing I grade in is Adobe After Effects, using the Magic Bullet Looks suite and Video Copilot Optical Flares for the lighting.

SWEET, i'll give After Affects a shot and play around, i have just recently got CS5 Master Suite... THANKS for your tutorials my friend!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Davidson, let me start by saying I love all of your work. Now to my question... I just recently got After Effects CS5 (yes, I'm aware of 5.5 coming out soon, but I couldn't wait), and I was wondering if you could please do a tutorial on how you do your logo presentation in AE. But a slow one, not this quick one (because then I could just use one of the current tutorials, but they're not helping me too much with that).

Archived