What Grinds your Gears Logo version

Funky Bunky

NHL

Jerseys like the Stars, and Trashers which look more like softball jersey than hockey.

its T-H-R-A-S-H-E-R-S. What dont you people understand about spelling???

Notice the H? Geez......

Trashers.

Atlanta doesn't deserve an NHL team. But that's another story.

puck you. :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing:

Who the hell are YOU to determine where a team is 'deserved'? We have plenty of fans here you ass hole, the problem is the ownership issue. Once the new owners come in, things will change for the better here. How dare you. I might as well say Buffalo doesnt deserve an NFL franchise.

Braves.jpg

BigMac's posts make me want to punch babies.

Hockey is weird and I love it.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NHL

Jerseys like the Stars, and Trashers which look more like softball jersey than hockey.

7415.gif

Notice the H? Geez......

You're really getting that pissy about a typo? If so, what don't you understand about capitalization and apostrophes?

Because its not a 'typo'. While i am not saying this is true of that poster, this 'typo' is the refusal of the majority of the people from Quebec to understand the proper spelling of the team name. For some reason they pronounce it falsely and ergo spell it incorrectly.

Srs bsns

sport-scarf_celtic-2_zps105bfcbf.png

im not a big fan of NFL's month long awarness to breast cancer. 1 week will suffice. it would make that one week special and more memorable where a month is overstaying its welcome.

what really ticks me off is poorly constructed logos or logos with no thought behind them. tangents, poor colors, line width, poor choice of typeface, badly drawn, etc.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

NHL

7415.gif

Notice the H? Geez......

You're really getting that pissy about a typo? If so, what don't you understand about capitalization and apostrophes?

Because its not a 'typo'. While i am not saying this is true of that poster, this 'typo' is the refusal of the majority of the people from Quebec to understand the proper spelling of the team name. For some reason they pronounce it falsely and ergo spell it incorrectly.

Trust me, that "some reason" some Quebeckers pronounce the team name as "Trashers" is because just about every "TH" sound in French is pronounced as simply a "T"; the H is pretty much silent. See: thé (tea), théatre (theatre), bibliothèque (library). Click here for an audio example.

It's not a "refusal" of anything to do with the Thrashers' name; it's simply the way the language has been constructed for centuries.

Does that lead to spelling mistakes? Maybe. But those would happen because, like in English, one would default to a phonetic spelling -- "spelling it like it sounds." If one had heard the word "phonetic" without seeing it, it would be hard to believe that it starts with "PH" rather than an "F". It's one of those idiosyncrasies in language that has to be learned and memorized, made even tougher for Quebeckers because it is a word that's not in their native tongue and one that is, in the grand scheme of their language, not terribly important. They have a plethora of accents and word masculinity/femininity to worry about first before they get to hockey team names.

But if you want to go on believing that a whole province has it out for your team simply because they pronounce and sometimes spell their name incorrectly, have at it.

Trust me, that "some reason" some Quebeckers pronounce the team name as "Trashers" is because just about every "TH" sound in French is pronounced as simply a "T"; the H is pretty much silent. See: thé (tea), théatre (theatre), bibliothèque (library). Click here for an audio example.

It's not a "refusal" of anything to do with the Thrashers' name; it's simply the way the language has been constructed for centuries.

Does that lead to spelling mistakes? Maybe. But those would happen because, like in English, one would default to a phonetic spelling -- "spelling it like it sounds." If one had heard the word "phonetic" without seeing it, it would be hard to believe that it starts with "PH" rather than an "F". It's one of those idiosyncrasies in language that has to be learned and memorized, made even tougher for Quebeckers because it is a word that's not in their native tongue and one that is, in the grand scheme of their language, not terribly important. They have a plethora of accents and word masculinity/femininity to worry about first before they get to hockey team names.

But if you want to go on believing that a whole province has it out for your team simply because they pronounce and sometimes spell their name incorrectly, have at it.

As a quebecer myself, I can confirm to you that this is true. I recall at least one hockey analyst on RDS referring to them as the "Trashers" during intermission segments. Give it peace, it's just the accent.

As a quebecer myself, I can confirm to you that this is true. I recall at least one hockey analyst on RDS referring to them as the "Trashers" during intermission segments. Give it peace, it's just the accent.

i know it is your language but what gets me is the fact that you know you are saying it wrong, and yet you continue to do it....

Braves.jpg

i know it is your language but what gets me is the fact that you know you are saying it wrong, and yet you continue to do it....

It's hilarious, how butthurt you are over this.

Personally I am half english so I don't have that problem. But for someone who is a pure quebecer, it can be difficult to pronounce the "Thhhhhhhh" properly in any word. They could try, but it doesn't sound exactly the same as done by an english person. Most people don't mind it, and neither do I.

It's hilarious, how butthurt you are over this.

Agreed.

Wow. Please just let this go so that you don't continue to clog up this thread.

I presume you pronounce Montreal Canadiens with a perfect French accent, yes?

...By the way, a more legitimate gear-grinder of this variety would be how many Americans insist on saying Jacksonville Jag-wires. And when broadcasters do it, it's almost unforgivable.

For the most part, french-canadians are a**holes anyway, so caring how they say or do anything has never been a concern of mine. If Atlanta could put asses in the seats, you wouldn't hear french-canadians speaking so much when Montreal comes to town...

On topic: People who can not, or refuse to see, the genius that is the classic/reborn Buffalo Sabres logo really grind my gears.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

For the most part, french-canadians are a**holes anyway

i completely disagree. Ive met plenty of nice people from Quebec. What really grinds my gears? People like you who refuse to see the reasons behind our struggles. It isnt the fans fault. 99% of the 'blame' is on the owners who i feel are hell-bent on exterminating hockey from the ATL. Ok, im done with my crap about that. Anyone feel free to pm me with anymore ridiculous and narrow minded posh and ill be happy to explain what ive said hundreds of times before that all yall just dont seem to understand.

Braves.jpg

NBA Logos that use a basketball.

NBA logos that feature the team name, too.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

From the direction of this thread, so are most Trasher fans.

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

Using navy blue, powder blue, royal blue, vintage white or any combination of those colors when your team has already established a solid identity. Do I really need to name names??

Don't get me wrong, I do not despise vintage white. The Wild, Blackhawks, Sabres, Rangers, and formerly the Bruins use(d) it well to positively accentuate the look of their jerseys. I also do not despise throwbacks. In fact, in love them alot!! What the Flyers have done is still a mystery to me though. Their edge template was good and a orange version would have been killer! Besides the Flyers, I don't have any further complaints towards throwbacks.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention chest numbers and piping to nowhere.

The Flyers first set of Edge jerseys were an absolute eyesore. From the odd looking shoulder yolks, lack of hemstripes to those truly bizzare looking sleeve stripes. The throwbacks are far from perfect but getting rid of the edge monstrosities and going back to orange was a HUGE improvement.

From the direction of this thread, so are most Trasher fans.

Dude, WTF????????????????????? I just said he was wrong in defense of Quebecois!!!!! Ugghhh you people are so god damn ridiculous.

Braves.jpg

Archived