2012 MLB & Logo Changes

marlinfan

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know what I just noticed? The Red Sox 1912 throwback jerseys were apparently a light cream, but the cap was bright white.

20120420_ajw_sj7_016_extra_large.jpg

It's less obvious in direct sunlight (check out the pics Dexter Morgan posted a few pages back), but still. Annoying.

I mentioned that a few days ago, and it annoys me. Before 2006, New Era's "white" was actually a cream colored. This was true for the Reds' pinstriped caps in the early '90s, the Mets white caps and the White Sox' 1917 throwbacks worn in 2001. The Sox throwbacks came before the trend of wearing cream jerseys, so they were actually snow white, despite being worn with a cream cap. The Sox wore cream-colored 1906 throwbacks in 2006, but New Era made the matching caps white. Somewhere along the line they got the ability to make caps that were actually white, but now they were matching them with cream colored jerseys. New Era and Majestic need to get on the same schedule with this stuff. I can't believe New Era couldn't possibly produce cream-colored hats anymore. I guess they just didn't care to.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

You know what I just noticed? The Red Sox 1912 throwback jerseys were apparently a light cream, but the cap was bright white.

20120420_ajw_sj7_016_extra_large.jpg

It's less obvious in direct sunlight (check out the pics Dexter Morgan posted a few pages back), but still. Annoying.

I mentioned that a few days ago, and it annoys me. Before 2006, New Era's "white" was actually a cream colored. This was true for the Reds' pinstriped caps in the early '90s, the Mets white caps and the White Sox' 1917 throwbacks worn in 2001. The Sox throwbacks came before the trend of wearing cream jerseys, so they were actually snow white, despite being worn with a cream cap. The Sox wore cream-colored 1906 throwbacks in 2006, but New Era made the matching caps white. Somewhere along the line they got the ability to make caps that were actually white, but now they were matching them with cream colored jerseys. New Era and Majestic need to get on the same schedule with this stuff. I can't believe New Era couldn't possibly produce cream-colored hats anymore. I guess they just didn't care to.

A one-off, totally blank cap? They obviously put minimal effort in.

Still, New Era. It's the little things.

spacer.png

The White Sox 2006 throwbacks had a colored brim and piping on the seams.

2508553401_c64240fecd_o.png

For comparison, here is the 2001 set, with a more detailed hat.

tonygraffanino.jpg

The biggest difference is, both of the White Sox hats were designed to be worn multiple times (although they decided to only wear the 2006 set twice) and were widely sold. I doubt many stores are carrying the Red Sox throwback caps. But still, it's not any harder to make a cream cap than a white one.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

The White Sox 2006 throwbacks had a colored brim and piping on the seams.

2508553401_c64240fecd_o.png

For comparison, here is the 2001 set, with a more detailed hat.

tonygraffanino.jpg

The biggest difference is, bot of the White Sox hats were designed to be worn multiple times and were widely sold. I doubt many stores are carrying the Red Sox throwback caps. But still, it's not any harder to make a cream cap than a white one.

I have one of those White Sox hats, the 2001 one. A family member inadvertently gave me it as a gift thinking it was a Red Sox hat.

Anywho, I haven't seen the white cap anywhere except online. It might be in the official team store on Yawkey Way Jersey Street, but I doubt it'll be carried anywhere else.

I'm sure it takes just as long to make a cream hat instead of a white one, but I'm guessing that New Era has more white fabric lying around than cream fabric, because of "whiteout" fashion caps and the like.

spacer.png

Since I brought it up, those 2001 Sox throwbacks were incredible (I have the hat and jersey). I hope they bring those back in 5 years for the 100th anniversary of the 1917 World Series, and this time, I hope they combine the new white hats with white jerseys and resist the current cream trend (if it's still going then).

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Do you think the color difference might be in the material? The White Sox throwbacks were wool, these are polyester.

All teams switched to polyester hats in 2007. The 2006 throwbacks were white, so I don't know. It would make sense if they couldn't dye the wool a true white, maybe they used the polyester on that one hat before debuting it the next year for all hats. Still, there is no reason they couldn't have dyed the polyester cream colored for those hats and the Red Sox throwbacks, other than them being cheap or lazy.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Since I brought it up, those 2001 Sox throwbacks were incredible (I have the hat and jersey). I hope they bring those back in 5 years for the 100th anniversary of the 1917 World Series, and this time, I hope they combine the new white hats with white jerseys and resist the current cream trend (if it's still going then).

Any excuse to wear those is a good one in my book. (I also own one, a Buehrle.) Though I'm sort of torn - they're wearing the '72 throwbacks this year, and 2017 would also be the 40th anniversary of the South Side Hit Men. I'd lose my mind if those collared, untucked shirts and navy pants made it onto the field of play again.

Regarding the cream v. white cap debate, I picked up a 5950 Expos throwback around 2002 or 2003. The front panel was cream. I just assumed at the time that they couldn't make the wool pure white, for whatever reason.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

tonygraffanino.jpg

Do you think the color difference might be in the material? The White Sox throwbacks were wool, these are polyester.

All teams switched to polyester hats in 2007. The 2006 throwbacks were white, so I don't know. It would make sense if they couldn't dye the wool a true white, maybe they used the polyester on that one hat before debuting it the next year for all hats. Still, there is no reason they couldn't have dyed the polyester cream colored for those hats and the Red Sox throwbacks, other than them being cheap or lazy.

I also love those 2001 unis, even own the cap. Back then I really thought it would inspire a team to use piping on a cap again. It's hard to tell from this photo, but the pipe down the middle (cutting through the logo) was red and the rest were blue (for those not familiar).

!B9NTkcQ!2k~$(KGrHqMOKn!Ey1-sZN2RBM5Gs7d1Bw~~0_35.JPG

As far as changes that might have taken place between 2001 and 2006: How about New Era going from a full-on "Made in the USA" ad campaign to moving some production to China? I think the polyester theory makes more sense, but figured I'd throw another variable out there. To be honest I always liked the cream look of their white caps, but the mismatches either way are frustrating. Still, New Era and Majestic can't even match their blues a lot of the time, so...

1) if the bill is contrasting, the squatchee must match the bill;

Has any MLB hat ever done that? I was wondering that the other day, maybe an obvious one does it but I can't remember...

Come on! Are you serious with that question? ALMOST EVERY TEAM HAS DONE IT AT SOME POINT IN TIME! Here is almost one for each team, there are many many more, but i don't feel like searching.

pMLB2-3537630dt.jpg

pMLB2-7377600dt.jpg

pMLB2-6936090dt.jpg

pMLB2-7330449dt.jpg

pMLB2-3537590dt.jpg

pMLB2-8892719dt.jpg

pMLB2-7377602dt.jpg

pMLB2-1697005dt.jpg

pMLB2-3537270dt.jpg

Continued....

pMLB2-3537337dt.jpg

Kansas-City-Royals-Black-White-Royal-Blue-Hat-With-Gray-Under-Brim-New-Era-Custom-MLB-59fifty-1.jpg

texas-rangers-alternate-royal-blue-black-brim-pinch-hitter-adjustable-hat-3132086.jpg

pMLB2-4292193dt.jpg

pMLB2-9688591dt.jpg

pMLB2-7272753dt.jpg

I had a lot more but there is an image limit....research or use your head before asking a question like that....haha

New York Mets & New York Jets

I read his question, and thought he probably meant "Has any MLB hat ever not done that?"

The red Boston cap they wore for a few games in 1997. It was different from the 1970's cap because the B had reversed colors (white with a navy outline) and also a red button.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I read his question, and thought he probably meant "Has any MLB hat ever not done that?"

The red Boston cap they wore for a few games in 1997. It was different from the 1970's cap because the B had reversed colors (white with a navy outline) and also a red button.

and it's one of the reasons this:

MLU-+Angels+Hat.jpg

is one of the worst hats to ever make it to a Major League field.

and thanks to Gothamite I've learned what the button on the top of a hat is called. Thanks man!

PvO6ZWJ.png

Agreed, although a teal squatchee wouldn't have been able to help that identity very much. :P

This one really bothers me as well:

pMLB2-3537670dt.jpg

There's no aethetic justification for the blue squatchee on the rest of the cap. I could see a white one working well, but the blue violates my Rule #2.

Ohhhh those caps. I think I saw them on a site once and I thought it was a fan cap. I guess the '97 caps fall into the same category as the '08 "hanging socks" ones ... short lived.

Agreed, although a teal squatchee wouldn't have been able to help that identity very much. :P

There's no aethetic justification for the blue squatchee on the rest of the cap. I could see a white one working well, but the blue violates my Rule #2.

Yes, the white would certainly work better. I understand they want to be patriotic with the whole Philadelphia team thing, but hmmm ...

pMLB2-3537670dt.jpg

There's no aethetic justification for the blue squatchee. I could see a white one, but the blue violates my Rule #2.

At the time of that hat's coming about the Reds were still wearing all red hats with a plain white letter. Perhaps they were trying to distance themselves from that. Doesn't make it right, but that could be the idea behind it.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I think they called that color periwinkle, but it was actually a columbia blue, not teal.

As for the Philies cap, for some reason the blue button doesn't bother me. I don't know why. Maybe because that cap with a red button doesn't look right to me.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Yes, while it isn't technically a "random button" per se, it still sticks out like a sore thumb and really annoyed me, especially since the white contrasts a lot with the rest of the cap being blue (for example, if it had been powder it wouldn't have stuck out as much). It just seems really unnecessary, even if it does match the cap logo.

If it matches the logo, then it kind of negates the "being unnecessary". If the logo was white and the button was red, with red being nowhere else in their identity, that would be unnecessary.

With regards to the idea of it "being unnecessary", in my eyes, the only time a button should contrast with the crown is when it matches the bill (i.e. the crown should always match the bill). Otherwise, it just sticks out to me. In my opinion, either make both the bill and button different colours than the crown, or none at all. Doing only one looks odd and (especially with the button, as it is such a small component of the cap) seems unnecessary - either match the bill, or don't make it contrast at all.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

ff_660464_xl.jpg

Never actually seen a picture with them wearing this in a game...

spacer.png

Archived