2012 MLB & Logo Changes

marlinfan

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought about putting it in the other thread but decided it would not be line with what the thread starter had in mind when he made his first post.

I heard that they're going to release annoyingly-cryptic teaser images for months in advance, and then get contracted just before they can unveil the uniforms. :P

Everyone in Marlinland would not be surprised. Seeing a stadium going up every time you're on the 836 is still surreal.

1997 | 2003

Marlins announced they will unveil their 2012 set on 11-11-11.

I emailed David Samson a few weeks ago about why is there so much orange all over the Marlins website and told him the majority of Marlins fans did not like it. All his response said was that "We are re-launching the franchise on 11-11-11, and that he hopes I love it."

I wish he would just give us a preview or at leas what he plans on making our team colors. I wish it would just stay teal and black, and definitely not Orange. Orange has nothing to do with a Marlin. I just dont get it.

Well,

When you tell him you hate the Orange and other fans hate the orange, I can see him not responding.

When he tells you that he hopes you LOVE the new color scheme, after you told him you hate orange---

THEN TODAY IS A DAY TO CELEBRATE THE TERMINAL CANCER ORANGE HAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IT HAS 8 MONTHS TO LIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GET YOUR AFFAIRS IN ORDER ORANGE, BECAUSE I'M GLAD SAMSON DIDN'T SAY BANANA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

Marlins announced they will unveil their 2012 set on 11-11-11.

Because they will be the Miami Marlins in 2012

No way!

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Even though it's early, here's what I hope for in uniform changes:

AL West:

Mariners - Teal Bill on their home cap.

Angels - 'Anaheim' on their road jersey.

Athletics - Perfect set. Maybe just tweak their new gold alternates by putting the piping down the pants.

Rangers - Get rid of the black drop shadow. It makes it too cluttered and IMO it the jersey would look cleaner and brighter without it.

AL Central:

White Sox - Bring back the sleeveless alternate. They are practically made for the White Sox. Also, put the WHITE sox LOGO back on the sleeve of the road jersey. Scripts don't look right on the sleeves IMO.

Royals - Home jerseys looks like Dodgers. Incorporate more gold into their uniforms. New font for the uniforms.

Indians - Blue caps with red block 'C' for the cream alternate. Replace the block 'C' on the road with the Indian head. It gives a throwback look a more modern flare. Get rid of cursive 'I' for good.

Twins - Get rid of the sleeveless for good.

Tigers - Perfect.

NL East:

Mets - Get rid of the black alt, the black caps, the black bills, the black drop shadow, and the black socks. Add a blue alternate jersey.

Phillies - Put 'Philadelphia' on the road jersey.

Marlins - Add an aqua alternate. Make the pinstripes at home aqua. Get rid of the black alternate. Put Miami on the road.

Nationals - Put the Nationals script on the home jersey.

Braves - Perfect set.

AL East:

Yankees - Add a black alternate. Just kidding, perfect set.

Rays - Get rid of the powder blue alternate.

Orioles - Change home to black script with orange outline. Get rid of the orioles script on the road jersey's sleeve.

Red Sox - Add navy piping on red alternate.

Blue Jays - Add blue alternate and incorporate more blue into their home and away jerseys.

NL Central:

Pirates - Add a gold alternate jersey for home. Go back to vests for home and away.

Cubs - Change font on away jersey.

Astros - Make home jersey clean with no pinstripes.

Cardinals - No alternates. Perfect set.

Brewers - Change the navy blue to royal blue. Change the vegas gold to athletic gold. That will make the jerseys look a little brighter and less drab.

Reds - Get rid of the black bill on the red alternate. The Reds jerseys are classic as themselves.

NL West:

Rockies - Add a purple alternate. Get rid of the silver. It draps the uniforms out. They can be very bright and sharp if they use primary colors.

Padres - Change color scheme to brown, orange, yellow, gold, or a combination of two of them. They might look better if they use more distinctive colors. Keep the interlocking 'SD' and make the SD white for home caps and orange for road caps.

Diamondbacks - IMO, they should go back to the copper, black, purple, and teal color scheme. Red, black, and sedona just isn't good looking IMO.

Dodgers - Perfect set.

Giants - Perfect set.

2ns84yg.png

10n7yog.png

25krb0y.png

Angels - 'Anaheim' on their road jersey.

Why would they do that? It's not their name.

Besides, you going to pay the difference in their television rights if they go back to being just an Orange County club?

I know you posted about the TV rights in another thread, but I think the name is far down on the list of reasons why they are getting more money from this TV deal. This deal was signed after their world championship in 2002, and after Moreno bought the team and turned them into a team that was going to perennially have a $100 mil payroll and be in contention. I think that had much more to do with the size of their current TV deal.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Call me crazy, but would it be ridicules, that a team named the Blue Jays actually have a blue jersey? I loved the jerseys they had prior to the re-brand. I wish, I wish, I WISH, the Mariners bring back the teal alternates. The navy ones they wear right now are boring to look at.

Call me crazy, but would it be ridicules, that a team named the Blue Jays actually have a blue jersey? I loved the jerseys they had prior to the re-brand. I wish, I wish, I WISH, the Mariners bring back the teal alternates. The navy ones they wear right now are boring to look at.

The Mariners are bringing back the teal alternates this year. ^_^ They need it big time.

2ns84yg.png

10n7yog.png

25krb0y.png

It would be great if, by 2012, MLB instituted rule changes that stipulated that teams can wear alts. no more than 2x a week. Otherwise, they really are not "alternative" in any sense of the word. Either that or we should have a serious discussion with owners / players about this subject.

I feel this is a conversation that probably people think is too stupid or unimportant to be having, but I think it's worth thinking about...Traditionalists and fans maybe 25 /30 + now may believe that you wear white at home and grays on the road. And maybe some variation thrown in there. I'm in that crowd both age- and sentimentality-wise, and that's what I would prefer. A lot of younger fans, non-traditionalists HATE the idea of white vs. gray every game. I can see that. But there are also owners who would fit into that category. Maybe it's time to let teams go wild. Make no restrictions (if they do, in fact, exist) about uniform colors).

Why do I say this? In MLB's mind, teams have a white and a gray. Think of how the AS game works. Somewhere along the line, that became a "uniform" practice to have a white and a gray. However, if you ask the Rockies or the White Sox or the Astros, they don't consider their white or their gray to be representative. When the teams can go buck wild in the exhibition games, we see navy smock vs. black smock vs. red smock constantly. Teams, I suppose, choose what they feel best sells/ represents them for ST games. Maybe it's time to say that "uniformity" must die, and simply let the White Sox have 1 uniform (the black), and let the Astros kill their road grays as well for the brick uni. It seems like teams would go that way if they had their druthers. I wouldn't like it, but it's odd that MLB obviously PREFERS certain uniforms when you're on THEIR turf for the AS game (they don't allow you to come wearing whatever you want). I realize that it might be odd to see some people in reds and blacks instead of grays, but I'm sure there were times when teams didn't sport a white or a gray. It must have happened. The A's, for instance. Did they go yellow at home and green on the road? Did they have white / gray ? They must have stuck out at the AS game.

Do you see any point in what I'm saying (probably not). But it's like there's a conversation that needs to happen in baseball because I'd say the game is traditional-minded, and some teams ('specially those with limited histories) say "History -- be damned." For some reason, I'm saying this conversation just isn't happening probably for a few reasons : It's awkward to do, you might be "infringing" on someone's ability to raise capital and most of all, most people don't think uniforms / logos / sports aesthetics matter. It's an "accessory" to the situation. I certainly can see that argument, too, but I think it would be a good talk to have.

Yes, there was a time when teams didn't always have white and grey jerseys. It wasn't a particularly good time. There was Astroturf, concrete donuts, low attendance, cocaine, just kind of an all-around slump. Classic white and grey look good on everyone.

Oh, also, regarding Houston altogether dropping grey, Oakland could get away with not having white or grey because it was so audacious to wear kelly green uniforms at the time that nobody else had even thought of doing it. The A's don't even do it now. The Astros can't exclusively wear red on the road because so many other teams like to wear red at home, and baseball has finally cracked down on that.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Yes, there was a time when teams didn't always have white and grey jerseys. It wasn't a particularly good time. There was Astroturf, concrete donuts, low attendance, cocaine, just kind of an all-around slump. Classic white and grey look good on everyone.

Oh, also, regarding Houston altogether dropping grey, Oakland could get away with not having white or grey because it was so audacious to wear kelly green uniforms at the time that nobody else had even thought of doing it. The A's don't even do it now. The Astros can't exclusively wear red on the road because so many other teams like to wear red at home, and baseball has finally cracked down on that.

They have? You see color vs. color all the time. They didn't raise a finger when we had black vs. dark navy (Twins and Chi Sox). Why would you believe baseball is cracking down on this at all?

This entire ST has been an abomination -- at least aesthetically. You see tons of navy vs. navy games. Red vs. red, too. It's a free-for-all. I don't see anything that stops this practice. And maybe it's not a big deal. I'm trying to figure out:

1. Is there any limit on how many times you can wear your alts ? Doesn't appear to be the case...

2. If there is something about not having two teams with similar uniform colors, why is it not enforced???

3. Are you obliged to have a white / grey set in your collection of unis?

4. If you are, why do you simply have to manufacture them, not actually wear them ?

5. If you can basically wear what you want, why even have rules about anything related to the uniform... except that it must be tucked in to pants, etc. ???

I think we as fans usually know less about situations than those intimately involved; however, i don't think anyone has a clue about this subject. I think we're all just making it up as we go along, and there may be some vague rules that exist somewhere but by which no one abides...

I do miss astroturf and the solid donuts...ah, memories. I also miss (i was born not far from the stadium, so cut me some slack) Shea in a weird way. And those light-up baseball players that would adorn the outer perimeter. Maybe it's something about my childhood.

You know what does suck though for real? Some stadiums either don't have Carvel (egads !!!) or at the very least don't have those helmet cups. Screw the uniforms. I take it all back. TEAMS MUST BE REQUIRED TO SELL CARVEL IF ONLY FOR THE HELMET CUPS !!! They have 'em at Citi / YS, but it's not a given at all parks. Should be, I say. My g/f and I are going around making a helmet-cup collection as part of our documentation of going to different stadiums...

Brother of Hercules

(sorry.. couldn't help myself...)

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

They have? You see color vs. color all the time. They didn't raise a finger when we had black vs. dark navy (Twins and Chi Sox). Why would you believe baseball is cracking down on this at all?

Because they are cracking down on it, which is why you see the Astros in gray when they play the DBags in their red... er, brick, er... whatever.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived