2012 MLB & Logo Changes

marlinfan

It's not pretentious. The pretension is lost when you actually are the champions of the world.

Except that there are players wearing the patch who never won anything.

The patch is for the team to identify itself as the defending world champions. A player who is on the team now, who wasn't on the team last season, is still playing for the defending world champions, and there's nothing weird about him wearing the patch.

There are no 'defending world champions'. Each season is completely independent. If you beat the "defending" champions, even the post season, you don't become the champion (unless it's in the World Series.)

This is not a cumulative thing - there's the 2008 Champs, the 2009 Champs, the 2010 Champs, etc. It's not like there's a belt that gets passed on (though that would be kind of cool.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're defending it insofar as you're trying all season long to get back in the playoffs and win it again. The season can reasonably be called a title defense, I suppose.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

It's not pretentious. The pretension is lost when you actually are the champions of the world.

Except that there are players wearing the patch who never won anything.

The patch is for the team to identify itself as the defending world champions. A player who is on the team now, who wasn't on the team last season, is still playing for the defending world champions, and there's nothing weird about him wearing the patch.

There are no 'defending world champions'. Each season is completely independent. If you beat the "defending" champions, even the post season, you don't become the champion (unless it's in the World Series.)

This is not a cumulative thing - there's the 2008 Champs, the 2009 Champs, the 2010 Champs, etc. It's not like there's a belt that gets passed on (though that would be kind of cool.)

Though I might not agree with everything you're saying, you do make sense. If there was only one World Series trophy ever made, and it passed from team to team, then the Giants would be considered defending champions, because they don't want to lose that trophy. But since a trophy is made every year (at least I think they make a new one every year), there is no way the Giants can lose it, therefore they aren't defending it from anyone...

It seems as though hockey has more of a "defending champs" feel to it than baseball, football, or basketball.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Um...

006273613.jpg

9mnJQYj6.jpg

And yet I would have to look those up to try to remember when that was....that's how irrelevant both teams are in the big picture. Everyone remembers the Indians domination not all that long ago. Great roster and great uni's to match. I'm amazed the Pirates still exist.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

IF ONE IS CONSIDERED RACIST, THEN BOTH MUST BE CONSIDERED RACIST.

BOTTOM LINE: NEITHER ONE IS RACIST.

Japan?

...does not play a calibre of baseball on par with the Major Leagues.

I agree with both of these... As in the now. Lets say the champions do start playing each other. Sure, the MLB teams will more than likely win for a while, but I would sure hope in the process the quality of Japan baseball would strive to get better, yes? The idea kinda reminds me of the ol' NFL-AFL....

No way. NPB isn't even close to the level of the AFL. You might as well have the World Series champs play the top team in the PCL or IL.

Japan?

...does not play a calibre of baseball on par with the Major Leagues.

I agree with both of these... As in the now. Lets say the champions do start playing each other. Sure, the MLB teams will more than likely win for a while, but I would sure hope in the process the quality of Japan baseball would strive to get better, yes? The idea kinda reminds me of the ol' NFL-AFL....

No way. NPB isn't even close to the level of the AFL. You might as well have the World Series champs play the top team in the PCL or IL.

Yeah, I knew it was a bad parallel, it's just what came to mind. I am just saying that, given the chance, I think Japan would do their best to play with the big boys. They love their baseball over there.

Do I think it can happen? Yes. Will it? Probably not.

zerakus_sports.png

The Pirates have won multiple World Series'. How many have the Indians won?

Two... we like to space them out so they don;t become so routine...

But, how many movies have been made about the Pirates? Hmmmmmmmmm....?

Um...

006273613.jpg

9mnJQYj6.jpg

And yet I would have to look those up to try to remember when that was....that's how irrelevant both teams are in the big picture. Everyone remembers the Indians domination not all that long ago. Great roster and great uni's to match. I'm amazed the Pirates still exist.

In the "Big Picture" you would include everything by definition. You must be a youngster and not really into baseball history (much of the fun in being a baseball fan includes having a good knowledge of baseball history) to not remember the Royals were a very good team from the mid-70s through the 80s (six division titles, two pennants, one WS championship). Additionally, the Pirates have a rich history of championships including the great Bill Mazeroski HR in the 1960 WS and the run in the 70s with Stargell/Parker et al., that resulted in two WS championships ('71 and '79).

Your opinion of the current state of the Pirates is duly noted however, a once great franchise is being run into the ground. I hope to see them one day turn it around, I have always been a fan of the Pittsburgh Pirates.

The Pirates have won multiple World Series'. How many have the Indians won?

Two... we like to space them out so they don;t become so routine...

But, how many movies have been made about the Pirates? Hmmmmmmmmm....?

I'd call it a draw.

angelsintheoutfield1951dvdr.jpg and CHASING-3000.jpg

v.

majorleague.jpg and 220px-Major_league_ii.jpg

Well... drat...

Okay, how many movies about the Pirates can people name? Hmmmmmmm....? And with a star studded cast like Charlie Sheen and Corbin Bernsen....

CHASING-3000.jpg

Ray Liota? Ray Liotta must be flattered.

As far as this "relevant" debate, I'm not sure how you can be a fan of any sport without at least some sense of the history. And at what point does the relevance turn the corner and be about the losing instead of the winning... a la your Chicago Cubs. (Well, they're not mine this year.) The Pirates' and Royals' titles beat them by half a century or more in terms of how recent they were. And if you argue that the Cubs have had recent chances ... bah! History lesson time again.

So this is the 2012 thread, huh? We have Marlins for sure, Padres maybe, and... anything?

• 5 weeks later...

Rumors of a Rockies' rebrand heard recently...cannot confirm yet, but it makes sense (the team has never overhauled its look).

Do they really need to? The Rockies own purple in the MLB and I really see nothing wrong with their look as it is.

Rumors of a Rockies' rebrand heard recently...cannot confirm yet, but it makes sense (the team has never overhauled its look).

Do they really need to? The Rockies own purple in the MLB and I really see nothing wrong with their look as it is.

Other than maybe not embracing the purple enough.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

Archived