2012 MLB & Logo Changes

marlinfan

I have - they could wear the alternate extremely sparingly during the season and make a big event out of it, and their color scheme lends itself to a classy-looking alternate.

Not really points that would supersede the "most traditional uniforms/team in professional sports" point.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

However, to claim that a sparingly-used alternate would cancel out all the equity of the Yankees' pinstripes is hyperbole to the extreme. But if Yankees fans actually feel that strongly about it, they could relegate the alternates to the road. They could wear a navy jersey with a gray New York script.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I Know, it's a uniform not the Holy Grail.

No, actually it is the Holy Grail of baseball uniforms... at least the home is. The road has been changed, so if someone wants to tweak the roads, go ahead. The thing with the Yankees wearing a home alternate, is that the alternate would not be better or even on par with the home jersey. If that is the case, then there is no need to have an alternate jersey that is on a lesser scale than the home. All these alternates that people propose are not better than the Yankees current home jersey.

It's for random stuff. Just like what every other thread inevitably turns into.

Touche.

Both, as is the purpose of these boards in general.

Go orioles.

We usually get a breakdown of the changes, I just forget when we get it. Have to check my emails from last season.

I summarized it one Page 8, in the midst of ANGELCAT-IDA's posts about what he wanted to see.

2012 Changes

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

I Know, it's a uniform not the Holy Grail.

No, actually it is the Holy Grail of baseball uniforms... at least the home is. The road has been changed, so if someone wants to tweak the roads, go ahead. The thing with the Yankees wearing a home alternate, is that the alternate would not be better or even on par with the home jersey. If that is the case, then there is no need to have an alternate jersey that is on a lesser scale than the home. All these alternates that people propose are not better than the Yankees current home jersey.

Exactly.

Changing the Yankees' pinstripes, or the Yanks wearing a different jersey at home on occasion, is wildly different from most other teams doing it. When you have had the same uniform be worn by everyone from Lou Gehrig to Mickey Mantle to Reggie Jackson to Derek Jeter, when you can look at famous moments like Lou Gehrig's farewell, DiMaggio's streak, Larsen's perfect game, Reggie's 3 HRs, and so on, and they're all wearing the same uniform, and when virtually every Yankee fan around today has only seen them wearing the same home uniform their entire lives, you have to expect the fanbase to have a very strong attachment to those jerseys, far more than a team who has changed their uniforms or often wears alternates. Hell, there's many teams over the years who have worn pinstripes, but if you say "wearing the pinstripes," everyone knows you're referring to the Yankees.

I can absolutely guarantee, without any reservations, that the fanbase would not accept any changes to the way the Yankees' home look. It would go over about as well as releasing Derek Jeter while he's 8 hits away from 3,000. I know a ton of Yankees fans, none of whom focus on uniforms like we do, who despise the idea of any team wearing an alternate, much less the Yankees. Honestly, it makes sense - alternate jerseys are just something we're not used to - we're used to having one look for all 81 homes games and another look for all 81 road games. This is not a fanbase, for the most part, that wants to see an alternate jersey, or a team that has any reason to wear one (as I mentioned before, you don't need to have a Yankees jersey be worn in-game in order for it to sell well).

It's the most recognizable jersey in sports (at least in North America). Why muddle that with alternates or by tweaking it, especially when the fanbase by and large doesn't want you to?

1923 1927 1928 1932 1936 1937 1938 1939 1941 1943 1947 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1956 1958 1961 1962 1977 1978 1996 1998 1999 2000 2009

And when you don't have to.

The Yankees sell replica merchandise by the imperial ton. They sell truckloads of alternate caps, alternate jerseys and alternate jackets.

What the Yankees have discovered is that they don't need to wear them on the field to sell them in the stores. They get the best of both worlds, boosting merchandise sales without diluting the on-field look.

And when you don't have to.

The Yankees sell replica merchandise by the imperial ton. They sell truckloads of alternate caps, alternate jerseys and alternate jackets.

What the Yankees have discovered is that they don't need to wear them on the field to sell them in the stores. They get the best of both worlds, boosting merchandise sales without diluting the on-field look.

Perfect point. The Yanks could produce any sort of fashion alt jersey/hat/jacket and they would sell like crazy. They're the Yankees. They don't need to wear them on the field as long as they sell them in the stores.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Die hard Yankee fan, Die hard logo fan here.

I don't believe the Yankees will ever wear another uniform on their home field than they do right now.

However, i really don't believe the fan base has the attachment to the road jerseys as they due to the pinstripes. They are classics for sure, but they aren't the pinstripes. IF the Yankees introduced a Navy alternate that was classy and well done with one of these on the front (along the lines of either of their BP jerseys):

wja3utq3he6kyf5c83r3sz09f.gif

1262.gif

Then i honestly don't belive the fan base will riot. And as many pinstripe jerseys as the Yankees sell, I'm sure their grey jersey's do not sell as many (although I have one and love it). A navy alt on the road would be fine with me.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

Die hard Yankee fan, Die hard logo fan here.

I don't believe the Yankees will ever wear another uniform on their home field than they do right now.

However, i really don't believe the fan base has the attachment to the road jerseys as they due to the pinstripes. They are classics for sure, but they aren't the pinstripes. IF the Yankees introduced a Navy alternate that was classy and well done with one of these on the front (along the lines of either of their BP jerseys):

Then i honestly don't belive the fan base will riot. And as many pinstripe jerseys as the Yankees sell, I'm sure their grey jersey's do not sell as many (although I have one and love it). A navy alt on the road would be fine with me.

I don't know about that - I do see a lot of the gray around. I will say this - I much prefer wearing my gray around when I'm not going to a game. It's a more relaxed and casual shirt than the pinstriped. But when I go to a game, it's pinstripes all the way.

Anubis.png

You have to respect the history of the Yankees Home uniforms. I understand that they are about tradition, but to be honest I think that their road uniforms are really nothing special and have always wondered why they don't wear the interlocking NY on their road jersey. I personally think that it would be fine for the Yankees to add a navy blue road alternate jersey, but the yankees will never wear anything other than pinstripes at home, I guarantee it.

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

I'm not arguing that the current set is not historic, classic, whatever. But it's a uniform for heaven's sake. Changing them doesn't not take away your rings. Changing them does not diminish the emotion you felt when all those moments happened. Changing them should not make you think less of the team and their owners. Changing should however make you think "hmm, it's not 1920 anymore I guess it's OK to make new history." No don't do away with the pinstripes, but for God's sake an alt is not gonna hurt you. You're welcome to disagree, but I find stupid to worship a uniform like it's an idol like some Yankee fans do. They're just clothes.

I'm not arguing that the current set is not historic, classic, whatever. But it's a uniform for heaven's sake. Changing them doesn't not take away your rings. Changing them does not diminish the emotion you felt when all those moments happened. Changing them should not make you think less of the team and their owners. Changing should however make you think "hmm, it's not 1920 anymore I guess it's OK to make new history." No don't do away with the pinstripes, but for God's sake an alt is not gonna hurt you. You're welcome to disagree, but I find stupid to worship a uniform like it's an idol like some Yankee fans do. They're just clothes.

You obviously don't have the appreciation for the history and tradition of baseball. Why is it that they're the ones who are stupid for not adding an alt? And if they're just clothes, then what's the point of an alt? If they're uniforms don't matter, then why are more than two needed? And this is coming from a die hard Yankee hater.

This is pretty much the same thing I would have said. Some say it's classic. I say it's boring. The Dodgers, Cardinals, Braves and Phillies have better uniforms anyway.

You obviously don't have the appreciation for the history and tradition of baseball. Why is it that they're the ones who are stupid for not adding an alt? And if they're just clothes, then what's the point of an alt? If they're uniforms don't matter, then why are more than two needed? And this is coming from a die hard Yankee hater.

I said they're just clothes but that does not mean I think the look of the clothes don't matter, which is why i suggest an alt to COMPLIMENT the legendary pinstripes. And yes I have much appreciation for history and tradition, but times do change.

I'd like to add that the Yankees' current set is completely overrated. They can't even choose one interlocking NY logo to use. That kind of inconsistency looks bush league to me. And as for the roads - they have an excellent proprietary script font and they settled for plain block letters for the city name?

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I would say that the Yankees' home uniform is special, but the road has just been around a long time. You can categorize historical sports achievements in much the same way. Some guys just hang around long enough to get the record, but it doesnt mean they are an all-time great.

I'm guessing the Yankees really don't belong in any "MLB changes for 20xx" thread, but such is life in the mega-thread era.

I'd like to add that the Yankees' current set is completely overrated.

I have always thought that the Yankees set was overrated. I can understand that the fans like it and all and don't want it to be changed, an I'm fine with that. It really only matters what your fans think of your uniforms. But I can't stand people trying to say that pinstripes are the best uniforms in baseball. The best uniforms in baseball are the A's. Hands down.

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

Archived