2012 MLB & Logo Changes

marlinfan

IF that is true (about the coolbase), then I just don't understand it. When you sign the deal to be the exclusive outfitter, don't you have an obligation to figure things like this out? I have no idea how difficult it is so maybe I'm not being realistic, but it really seems that a small shop like Majestic just might not be cut out for a league-wide outfitting contract, considering all of the mistakes that they've made, their inability to make a gray coolbase for several years, their inability to get the Dodgers throwbacks put together in time, and now this. We shouldn't even be talking about a manufacturer, but here we are. I think it's different than in the other sports where new high-tech fabrics and cuts are coming out seemingly every year and forcing changes that are usually due to the manufacturer's technology. I don't think that this Coolbase stuff can really be compared to what we're seeing in the NFL and NBA. Closer to the NHL, with RBK's insistence that they can't do horizontal stripes on the Edge fabrics / templates.

what do you mean that majestic couldn't make gray coolbase? when did that happen?

As The Admiral said, at first teams only had the white or color alt available to them in COOLBASE (back in 2006). In 2008, Majestic introduced grey COOLBASE, but it is just a single color of grey. Teams wear various shades of grey in doubleknit, and you could tell the difference when a team wore their normal pants with grey COOLBASE jerseys. It's becoming less noticeable though as teams are consolidating to a single shade of grey for pants too (COOLBASE grey appears to to match blue grey, like KC or LA, the closest, but that's just my opinion). As of now, ever shade is available in COOLBASE. At last count, 15 teams are exclusively outfitted in COOLBASE, 14 teams have both COOLBASE & doubleknit uniforms in some manner, and the Yankees are all doubleknit all the time.

And as to the actual material, Majestic COOLBASE is nearly identical to the first production of Nike DRI-Fit. I have a Texas Longhorns baseball jersey in DRI-Fit, and it is identical in weave pattern to COOLBASE, it's just a heavier weight.

And don't give the NBA too much credit. They debuted the new jerseys this year and they were supposed to be all heat-pressed, but the numbers were falling off so adidas had to sew them for the retail versions.

That can't be correct...in 2007 mets became a cool base team and they had the gray cool base jerseys:

160014_mets_nationals_spring_baseball.jpg

New York Mets & New York Jets

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I recall the Padres road change from the sand to grey has everything to do with the ownership transition in San Diego. Before the 2010 season all the other teams got a memo asking that they use the interlocking "SD" logo as opposed to the home plate primary logo when referencing the Padres in promotional materials and in-stadium graphics. I imagine if they did not like that logo they didn't like the tan road jerseys either, but it was very likely too close to the season at that point to make a change, if indeed that's what they wanted to do. The jersey bit is speculation, but I know for a fact they wanted to phase out the home plate logo. That plus the road switch this year leads me to believe it'll be a total overhaul for next season.

It's the same reason that for the last 4-5 seasons the Marlins have started phasing out most of their logos, first the primary logo, then removing the "F" logo and "Florida" script from the jerseys starting last year. Preparation for the big change. Even when it makes no sense from a pure design standpoint, they've shoehorned the "Marlins" script into every single application so as not to use anything that says or represents the "Florida" Marlins.

I can't wait to laugh/cry/vomit when Jeff Loria unveils his vision for the Miami Marlins in November. Based on the seats(all but one of them blue, the first one they installed is red), tile(red/green/blue/yellow), and hideous home run celebration at the new ballpark, I fully expect my vomit to look better.

IF that is true (about the coolbase), then I just don't understand it. When you sign the deal to be the exclusive outfitter, don't you have an obligation to figure things like this out? I have no idea how difficult it is so maybe I'm not being realistic, but it really seems that a small shop like Majestic just might not be cut out for a league-wide outfitting contract, considering all of the mistakes that they've made, their inability to make a gray coolbase for several years, their inability to get the Dodgers throwbacks put together in time, and now this. We shouldn't even be talking about a manufacturer, but here we are. I think it's different than in the other sports where new high-tech fabrics and cuts are coming out seemingly every year and forcing changes that are usually due to the manufacturer's technology. I don't think that this Coolbase stuff can really be compared to what we're seeing in the NFL and NBA. Closer to the NHL, with RBK's insistence that they can't do horizontal stripes on the Edge fabrics / templates.

what do you mean that majestic couldn't make gray coolbase? when did that happen?

As The Admiral said, at first teams only had the white or color alt available to them in COOLBASE (back in 2006). In 2008, Majestic introduced grey COOLBASE, but it is just a single color of grey. Teams wear various shades of grey in doubleknit, and you could tell the difference when a team wore their normal pants with grey COOLBASE jerseys. It's becoming less noticeable though as teams are consolidating to a single shade of grey for pants too (COOLBASE grey appears to to match blue grey, like KC or LA, the closest, but that's just my opinion). As of now, ever shade is available in COOLBASE. At last count, 15 teams are exclusively outfitted in COOLBASE, 14 teams have both COOLBASE & doubleknit uniforms in some manner, and the Yankees are all doubleknit all the time.

And as to the actual material, Majestic COOLBASE is nearly identical to the first production of Nike DRI-Fit. I have a Texas Longhorns baseball jersey in DRI-Fit, and it is identical in weave pattern to COOLBASE, it's just a heavier weight.

And don't give the NBA too much credit. They debuted the new jerseys this year and they were supposed to be all heat-pressed, but the numbers were falling off so adidas had to sew them for the retail versions.

That can't be correct...in 2007 mets became a cool base team and they had the gray cool base jerseys:

160014_mets_nationals_spring_baseball.jpg

I can't speak to the date of the photo, but no one had grey COOLBASE in 2007. It wasn't available until 2008. I remember this clearly. We all tore into Majestic back then for not getting their act together to produce grey (and I will try to go back into the archives here to find it, because the proof is here on these boards). And Henderson has the full list of who had a COOLBASE jersey and when in his most recent guide, and he got that info directly from Majestic. The Mets went 100% COOLBASE in 2008 (as did LA, PHI, ATL, TOR, and SD). In 2007, they only had the home alt and the road black jerseys in COOLBASE.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

It's the same reason that for the last 4-5 seasons the Marlins have started phasing out most of their logos, first the primary logo, then removing the "F" logo and "Florida" script from the jerseys starting last year. Preparation for the big change. Even when it makes no sense from a pure design standpoint, they've shoehorned the "Marlins" script into every single application so as not to use anything that says or represents the "Florida" Marlins.

I've been wondering why they've been using the Marlins script as their logo in their TV graphics instead of the F-Fish.

Just a side note, some of the current Blue Jays minor league teams don't use the current Blue Jays logo on their programs/websites, and jerseys. The Vancouver Canadians have the retro Blue Jays logo on their sleeves. IMO IF the Jays were serious about keeping that "Jays" logo as their identity, they would not be letting their affiliates use an older jays logo.

What about the Bluefield Blue Jays and Dunedin Blue Jays? Their entire identities are based on the current Jays logo, and the Bluefield one is brand-spankin' new.

What minor league teams do don't mean much, the Pulaski Blue Jays used the old T-Bird logo for about 5 years after the Jays ditched it; the Medicine Hat Blue Jays were using the 80s jays logo and fonts up until the early 2000s.

I spoke to the British company hired by the Blue Jays to do their re-branding, they gave no comment but referred me to a Canadian partner of theirs who is handling this client -- TAG is the name (http://www.idearevolution.ca/), they kept saying "get back to us in a week" until I finally gave up and assumed no comment was on its way.

So if the Jays have hired a British company to do their re-branding, we can assume that the World Series era logo and uniforms will stay retired? That'd be a shame...instead of yet another new look, I'd prefer they just stick with their current set if they won't go back to the classic look.

Just a side note, some of the current Blue Jays minor league teams don't use the current Blue Jays logo on their programs/websites, and jerseys. The Vancouver Canadians have the retro Blue Jays logo on their sleeves. IMO IF the Jays were serious about keeping that "Jays" logo as their identity, they would not be letting their affiliates use an older jays logo.

What about the Bluefield Blue Jays and Dunedin Blue Jays? Their entire identities are based on the current Jays logo, and the Bluefield one is brand-spankin' new.

What minor league teams do don't mean much, the Pulaski Blue Jays used the old T-Bird logo for about 5 years after the Jays ditched it; the Medicine Hat Blue Jays were using the 80s jays logo and fonts up until the early 2000s.

I spoke to the British company hired by the Blue Jays to do their re-branding, they gave no comment but referred me to a Canadian partner of theirs who is handling this client -- TAG is the name (http://www.idearevolution.ca/), they kept saying "get back to us in a week" until I finally gave up and assumed no comment was on its way.

So if the Jays have hired a British company to do their re-branding, we can assume that the World Series era logo and uniforms will stay retired? That'd be a shame...instead of yet another new look, I'd prefer they just stick with their current set if they won't go back to the classic look.

Anything is better than the current look. Much like the Bills, anything will probably be considered an upgrade.

Anything is better than the current look. Much like the Bills, anything will probably be considered an upgrade.

And much like the Bills, I am 100% confident they will screw up what should be a very simple change back to a previous set where only minor tweaks were necessary(and the only tweak necessary for Toronto would be to move the patch from the stomach to the right sleeve). I imagine we are going to see a darker blue, silver added, an over-modernized logo and other silliness. It seems that every time a team has a slam dunk case where going back to a previous look would be best, they go overboard "modernizing."

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Who says the British company won't at least take cues from the World Series-era uniforms?

The 1997-2003 Blue Jays uniforms took cues from the World Serie-era...and were horrible!

Agreed, but let's be honest, they're not going back to that look. If they're going to take cues from the past, I'd be absolutely shocked if it wasn't either the pullover-era uniforms or the World Series-era uniforms that get modernized a bit.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I've been wondering why they've been using the Marlins script as their logo in their TV graphics instead of the F-Fish.

I can't wait to see how they eff the new Marlins logo up... if they can keep that blue and green and black... it may not be bad... please for the love of god.. no yellow..or red

tn_CoorsDog.jpgSharks_signature.jpgtn_five_hole_design_logo_copy.jpg

Who says the British company won't at least take cues from the World Series-era uniforms?

The 1997-2003 Blue Jays uniforms took cues from the World Serie-era...and were horrible!

Agreed, but let's be honest, they're not going back to that look. If they're going to take cues from the past, I'd be absolutely shocked if it wasn't either the pullover-era uniforms or the World Series-era uniforms that get modernized a bit.

I hope so, provided the modernizing doesn't go overboard. The World Series-era uniforms with the all-blue hat are my all-time favourite set: the logo, number font, and lettering were great. Interesting how during road telecasts most Jays fans in opposition ballparks seem to be wearing the original logo.

I agree with Ice Cap, those uniforms were perfect. I don't think shading on the logo or tweaking the font is necessary. However, the Blue Jays are paying good money to a design firm, and even if the firm does the right thing and creates something similar to the championship set, they aren't going to redo that set verbatim and collect a paycheck for doing nothing(although they should). They will leave their mark on the new set, and it will make it look worse.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

It will be unfortunate that it is too late for the Astros to have a logo and uni switch for 2012, but I feel confident it will come for 2013. There will be a push from long-time fans to return to the navy and orange colors and the original H and star caps.

The Astros has always been a joke when it comes to unis, but Drayton McLane totally changed the color scheme and logo and that has not been appreciated by old fans. The Astros in pinstripes at home is ridiculous.

I personallyhope the team returns to the shooting stars unis worn in the mid 60s to the early 70s along with the gray road unis with block HOUSTON. No alternate.

It will be unfortunate that it is too late for the Astros to have a logo and uni switch for 2012, but I feel confident it will come for 2013. There will be a push from long-time fans to return to the navy and orange colors and the original H and star caps.

The Astros has always been a joke when it comes to unis, but Drayton McLane totally changed the color scheme and logo and that has not been appreciated by old fans. The Astros in pinstripes at home is ridiculous.

I personallyhope the team returns to the shooting stars unis worn in the mid 60s to the early 70s along with the gray road unis with block HOUSTON. No alternate.

I made this

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I can see wanting to go back to the navy & orange, but I think the cap logo they have now is much better than the H-star. I'm also not a big fan of the standard block Houston. Maybe it worked for the time, but I think a road script matching the home one would be better.

Archived