Old logos that are better than their current

JohnnySeoul

Here's mine regarding the NBA (other leagues coming soon, after I give it some thought):

NBAbestlogos.png

Just some quick notes explaining some picks (all in my honest and humble opinion):

- I realize the Hawks logo is the same design as the current, but they look much better in Red-Gold-Black.

- I liked how the Mavs logo was simple, yet got the point across well. And Blue and Green go really well together.

- I'm usually not a fan of gradient-like effects, but I think in a case like the Miami Heat, it works well. Flames don't have a solid color, obviously, so it's just my thought that this Heat logo gets a pass because it depicts a flame better than the current, solid color logo does.

- I share Ice_Cap's opinion in that the current grey on the Suns' logo sort of ruins it, and that the logo as originally designed just works better than the current does.

- My reasoning for liking the 90's Spurs logo is the fact that the colors used really reflect the southwestern culture. The design of the current logo isn't bad, but having it in just plain black, silver, and white really dulls it. Had the updated logo been colored in the 90's colors, it would have been perfect.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NHL-1.png

Agree with all of these 100% Upon further evaluation the Lightning one you picked is definitly better than their first (the one I picked). What would really be great is if they toke that logo and used the original electric blue.

TBLelectricblue.png

Not to bad.

Perfect, now theres actually contrast between the Blue and Black.

aa65jz06hggyuale7xmkeefka.gifwngsuqhi4laygst4ffe8wfeti.gifpqln6egfczzzkgvyshwoi2ozu.gifhtsdmqncssnjpmmv814usu81g.gifwcq5l2h3sugh536gzg9pqya8e.gif370.gifquatt6iqgd7dc8dhkdug.gif6559.gif0a72moxnup3kd6lgrz260u86i.gif

Some thoughts:

-Jazz look better in purple than dark blue. Of the mountain logos, 1st recolor was the best.

- A Maverick is a rogue cowboy, not a horse. Therefore the cowboy hat is a better representation of the nickname. Plus I love the color combo.

- The T-Wolves best logo is the current alternate, but I like rendering of the T-wolf in this logo, better than the rendering in current primary.

- Astros logo is so simple, but it's my 2nd favorite logo ever, after the original Blue Jays logo.

- At least, Brownie is a logo.

- The Canucks is just a personal favorite of mine. I can't stand the orca, but love their current color scheme. If they would move toward the Johnny Canuck logos full time then at they would be perfect.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

NBA (primary logos):

b63l7nnxd3bl0cxemi3qahbbp.gif5329.gifkqmesaae0efg3atwugmeohxga.gifwngsuqhi4laygst4ffe8wfeti.gif

Wow, that's more than I was expecting.

NBA-1.png

I tried not to go with logos of defunct teams or old identities, but I had to throw the Bullets logo in there. The Wizards' whole identity is just so bad.

Indeed.

These two are funny. Who can guess why?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

NBA (primary logos):

b63l7nnxd3bl0cxemi3qahbbp.gif5329.gifkqmesaae0efg3atwugmeohxga.gifwngsuqhi4laygst4ffe8wfeti.gif

NBA-1.png

I tried not to go with logos of defunct teams or old identities, but I had to throw the Bullets logo in there. The Wizards' whole identity is just so bad.

Indeed.

I guess because we some overlap, but I (a Wizards fan) chose the Raps logo, and IceCap (a Raps fan) chose the Wiz logo? Is that it?

For the record though, I really like the current Raptors identity. I just liked it a little better when they had purple in their logo (even when they didn't wear purple). It separated them a little from the abundance of red-black in the NBA.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

NBA (primary logos):

NBA-1.png

Indeed.

I guess because we some overlap, but I (a Wizards fan) chose the Raps logo, and IceCap (a Raps fan) chose the Wiz logo? Is that it?

For the record though, I really like the current Raptors identity. I just liked it a little better when they had purple in their logo (even when they didn't wear purple). It separated them a little from the abundance of red-black in the NBA.

I have a fondness for the crazy striped pinstripes and the large front logos of the early Raptors uniforms, but yeah, they're incredibly dated. The purple really seemed to work once they toned the uniform design down (the Vince Cater years). I'm torn on the issue, really. Red and black is a fantastic colour combo, and the Raptors have looked very nice since switching to it. It is, however, a little on the bland side, with four other teams using variations of it. The purple, once they toned down the uniform design, was both very unique and nice to look at.

I guess all things considered I'd like to see purple make a comeback, but the red and black Raptors aren't the worst thing in the NBA.

NBA (primary logos):

NBA-1.png

Indeed.

I have a fondness for the crazy striped pinstripes and the large front logos of the early Raptors uniforms, but yeah, they're incredibly dated. The purple really seemed to work once they toned the uniform design down (the Vince Cater years). I'm torn on the issue, really. Red and black is a fantastic colour combo, and the Raptors have looked very nice since switching to it. It is, however, a little on the bland side, with four other teams using variations of it. The purple, once they toned down the uniform design, was both very unique and nice to look at.

I guess all things considered I'd like to see purple make a comeback, but the red and black Raptors aren't the worst thing in the NBA.

You both chose the current 76ers logo.

But I enjoyed the Raptors discussion.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

It's funny how many people are picking logos that really should be burned and buried and sprinkled with holy water. But anyway here are my picks, I'm sure there some here that others would like to put a stake through the heart of, as well...

145.gif3102.gif233.gifogopr90c4s7q4ez68ga7vhbyh.gif6187.gif2277.gif6n8ewtl7lzamf20eohyv4aav2.gifau67znem99jyg6d7esach62e4.gif6103.gif

...and finally this....

TigerCats1963.jpg

This logo isn't in Chris Creamer's logo database, it was the logo the Hamilton Tiger-Cats used from 1950-1966. It's is almost the same classic leaping tiger logo used up to 2004. I dislike the backing grey circle but the tiger itself is actually much cleaner looking than the muddier post centennial logos that have been used. The stripes on the tiger are much more distinct in the older logo and the white in the paws and underbelly are still prominent. It's head and shoulder's above the current simplified logo.

tigercatssignature-1.png

Technically they didn't. The current 76ers primary has that stupid and pointless box around it.

Fair enough. For what it's worth, their logo is boxless on their website.

Technically they didn't. The current 76ers primary has that stupid and pointless box around it.

Yeah, that still isn't their primary though. Think Raptors, Jazz, etc. etc.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

My examination of the Chargers before and after

chargerscompare.jpg

As a long-time Charger fan, I am very familiar with the old secondary...it was in use when I became a fan in '79. I hate that logo. The horse looks sick. Not sick as in cool, but sick as in roadkill. Edit: or a hand-puppet. The straight lightning bolt only matched the bolt on the pants and not even that close.

I would hate to go back to a logo that combines the elements of not one, but two hated division rivals:

A horse (Denver) inside a shield (Oakland). The only thing missing is a script "SD" that interlock like "KC" to make it a trifecta "fail".

Yeah, that still isn't their primary though. Think Raptors, Jazz, etc. etc.

Pretty sure the thread isn't limited to primary logos. Whether it's an alternate or not, they still use that logo currently. For all intents and purposes, Ice_cap also picked the current Pacers and Blazers logos (yes, I know changes have been made to them, but none of those changes really altered the form or the colors of the logo).

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I would hate to go back to a logo that combines the elements of not one, but two hated division rivals:

A horse (Denver) inside a shield (Oakland). The only thing missing is a script "SD" that interlock like "KC" to make it a trifecta "fail".

Thank you! That's exactly why I prefer the bolt logo to the shield logo.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Thank you! That's exactly why I prefer the bolt logo to the shield logo.

Third'd. The shield/horse logo just doesn't work.

Archived