2011-12 soccer kits

Saintsfan

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, you misunderstand. The uniforms are what is actually sold. That's what I meant.

The league is interested in making the maximum amount of money via merchandise sales, so they have taken the uniform decisions out of the hands of the teams' owners.

Honestly, as much as I hate the fact that everyone wears Adidas, it's probably for the best since we'll probably never see soccer teams in the US be as profitable as European teams.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Also Real Madrid in fact benefitted most from Franco's patronage, rising to prominence in the 50s.

Several Spanish clubs benefitted from Franco. The main reason for the hate between Real Madrid and Barcelona came from how Franco treated Catalunya after the war. The Camp Nou was the only place that Catalans could speak out against him which is why Barca, Valencia and other clubs have such passionate fans. And Real's title was given by Alfonso XIII, not Franco, in 1920

Yes, but the growth of Real Madrid as a major force in Spanish and European football comes from Franco's patronage, rather than any royal patronage.

And that has anything to do with their name because...

Not being an ass just they were called Real Madrid long before Franco came along, and are still called it long after Franco has gone.

Nothing except that the name was originally brought up because the US has no royal connections, but Real Madrid's rise is connected to a man who fought a civil war against the Spanish royal family. He didn't seem to object to 'Real' as a moniker, so why should the citizens of SLC?

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

These designs are practically begging MLS to end the Adidas contract and allow individual production.

Umbro's worst is above Adidas these days.

I think some of what adidas has done for the MLS is as good as any kit around the world. Some is pretty average, true, but let's not just throw rubbish adidas' way for no reason.

Also umbro produces some solid stuff, pretty consistently.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

I do not agree. Umbro and Nike consistently produce kits far above anything Adidas has done for MLS, which range frok mediocre to truly rubbish.

The crests don't make money. The uniforms do.

Nonsense. Have you seen the MLS shop? How many caps, tshirts, scarves, mugs, bumper stickers and the like bear the teams' crests? It's not just the shorts that make money.

I do not agree. Umbro and Nike consistently produce kits far above anything Adidas has done for MLS, which range frok mediocre to truly rubbish.

I think the Timbers, Galaxy, Red Bulls amongst others all have uniforms that would look spot on in the Premier League or any other European league.

I think part of the issue is MLS uniforms just aren't going to make any supplier bucket loads of cash. You'd get pretty generic Nike outfits if Nike took on the job. And look at the uniforms in the Championship or league 1 to see how positively mediocre Nike can be.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

I think the Timbers, Galaxy, Red Bulls amongst others all have uniforms that would look spot on in the Premier League or any other European league.

I think part of the issue is MLS uniforms just aren't going to make any supplier bucket loads of cash. You'd get pretty generic Nike outfits if Nike took on the job. And look at the uniforms in the Championship or league 1 to see how positively mediocre Nike can be.

I agree. I think they need to go back to multiple suppliers. And the NBA, NFL and MLB all use a single source for their shops as well. They just dress up the sites attached to the team sites.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

These designs are practically begging MLS to end the Adidas contract and allow individual production.

Umbro's worst is above Adidas these days.

Just remember, Reebok made the Revolution and original Colorado Rapids logos

I really don't understand the hate for the Revs' logo.

It's a relic trapped in the mid-90s.

It's not as bad as the Crew's logo, but the Revolution are in dire need of a logo upgrade.

spacer.png

I agree. I think they need to go back to multiple suppliers. And the NBA, NFL and MLB all use a single source for their shops as well. They just dress up the sites attached to the team sites.

I'm not convinced that would lead to a generally higher standard of kit design. It might stop the MLS from looking quite as generic, but you might have attrocities like Bolton's Reebok kits.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

No, you misunderstand. The uniforms are what is actually sold. That's what I meant.

The league is interested in making the maximum amount of money via merchandise sales, so they have taken the uniform decisions out of the hands of the teams' owners.

Honestly, as much as I hate the fact that everyone wears Adidas, it's probably for the best since we'll probably never see soccer teams in the US be as profitable as European teams.

Sorry, I understand what you are saying now. My fault.

The 2012 USA away kit will debut late February / early March. First details on the away have leaked. The colors will be midnight navy and white. It also appears as if the preferred combos will be white / red hoops and navy shorts for the home and navy shirt and navy shorts for the away. We know this because the same pair of navy shorts is denoted as home and away. The away sock is listed as midnight navy, varsity red, football white, and football white. Not sure why white is listed twice. The track jackets look pretty sweet. Essentially a stripped down version of the current n98 jackets.

Nike 12 Spring Licensed Catalog

I cover Adidas/Nike here in Portland as a business reporter. Adidas' head of soccer just told me that they debated internally about using the trefoil, but ultimately decided against it since the trefoil has become the mark used for their sports lifestyle apparel. They wanted to keep a differentiation between athletic apparel and lifestyle apparel.

Also, in a nod to the buy-local movement, the 2,012 authentic kits put on sale Tuesday were manufactured entirely in the Portland area.

I call b.s. on Adidas' head of soccer:

51-25749-Y.jpg

Mariners | Sounders FC | Seahawks | Washington State

Except that's a 1980s-era uniform. They changed to the three-stripe logo in the mid 1990s.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

In terms of Umbro vs Nike or adidas..

Dunno how many of you guys are from england, but Umbro really is a cheap brand here. It's not got the same prowess as a Nike or Adidas

It's cheap, it's naff.. And I really honestly dont know anyone who would wear Umbro outside of a young kid, who wears what his parents buy..

In todays society, Regardless of how they Taylor the English team.. There a poor mans Nike..

In todays society, Regardless of how they Taylor the English team.. There a poor mans Nike..

Which isn't really surprising considering that Umbro is a subsidiary of Nike.

Italy. Eh.

ITA2main.jpg

ITA2details.jpg

I just fell over and grabbed my calf looking at that.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived