University of Maryland

leopard88

I wouldn't be surprised to see Under Armour use a turtle shell texture or turtle skin texture soon for Maryland. Kinda like what Nike did to TCU.

I would not be surprised. Maryland has been using a turtle shell logo in a lot of their branding lately. Their Facebook page just has a big turtle shell for their profile picture for example:

203592_16972274487_6345669_n.jpg

http://www.facebook.com/UnivofMaryland

I like that terp shell logo quite a bit. But, I doubt they go with something so monochromatic for the Athletics department. They really seem to be playing up the yellow and black elements of the school (and state) color scheme.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oof. I don't mind the wordmark, but I really don't think it works as a helmet logo, even with the vertical arch.

So, if they were planning to introduce a new wordmark to be used across all sports, why did Maryland/UA bother introducing that interim cursive script, seen on the black alt men's b-ball jerseys last year?

PH2011013004952.jpg

I don't recall there being a reason, but considering it had been used in the past (or at least something very similar) I guess it was just an attempt to differentiate the alternates, rather than just being a recolor of the primaries.

1210_large.jpg

Oof. I don't mind the wordmark, but I really don't think it works as a helmet logo, even with the vertical arch.

So, if they were planning to introduce a new wordmark to be used across all sports, why did Maryland/UA bother introducing that interim cursive script, seen on the black alt men's b-ball jerseys last year?

PH2011013004952.jpg

I don't recall there being a reason, but considering it had been used in the past (or at least something very similar) I guess it was just an attempt to differentiate the alternates, rather than just being a recolor of the primaries.

1210_large.jpg

Does anyone have a clearer pic of that old school script? It doesn't look much like last year's cursive script at all at first blush (the "M" is completely different, for one), but I'd like to get better look.

Google is my friend. :) Here's a better look:

McMillen-Elmore.jpg

The "M", "l" and "d" in the old script are very different than the "M","l" and "d" in the new script. I'm not sure I buy the idea that the new script is any kind of homage to the old version, but I could be wrong.

I love those NCState uniforms. So simple, yet so brilliant.

I like the Maryland script FWIW. I'm a sucker for script on uniforms though.

Not to hijack the thread, but our new athletic director at State, Debbie Yow (formerly of UMd), has stated that new uniforms will include the "State" moniker instead of the current "NC State" branding. This is being done as our 2 championship teams wore "State" and that is what the school is colloquially known as amongst many in NC and the ACC.

Carry on.

screenshot-2017-09-15-18-37-19.png

Gradient numbers.....

ncaa12maryent.jpg

Tortoise-shell watermarks on the shoulders too (check out number 6 up front). A fine line between unique and gimmicky...

That's actually pretty cool. If it didn't have the two-tone numbers this might be my favorite CFB set.

I love those NCState uniforms. So simple, yet so brilliant.

I like the Maryland script FWIW. I'm a sucker for script on uniforms though.

Not to hijack the thread, but our new athletic director at State, Debbie Yow (formerly of UMd), has stated that new uniforms will include the "State" moniker instead of the current "NC State" branding. This is being done as our 2 championship teams wore "State" and that is what the school is colloquially known as amongst many in NC and the ACC.

Carry on.

After thinking of why I hate the State moniker when NC State does it, but don't have a problem with Michigan State using it, I came to the conclusion that it's because NC State often uses a standard block font which makes them look like one of the generic "State" teams you often see in commercials. Maybe they'll come up with something distinctive this time, but if not, they'd be better off using "NCSU" (since there's really no way to put North Carolina State on a basketball jersey without looking awkward).

Two different helmets for Maryland? One road, one home?

NCAA Football usually has a few different helmets for each team. Most likely for Maryland they have this years black and last years white. Doesn't mean they will actually wear both in a real game, but the option is available in the video game to mix and match. The same can be said about schools like OSU that use pro combat helmets you can use...

Gradient numbers.....

ncaa12maryent.jpg

Tortoise-shell watermarks on the shoulders too (check out number 6 up front). A fine line between unique and gimmicky...

Wait, UA found out about Warrior's sublimated tiger stripes for Princeton lacrosse? Yay, now we got Maryland with SUBLIMATED TERRIPAN SHELLS! :P

However, I will say the uniforms don't look too bad. The color choice for the piping looks nice and the gradient numbers aren't that tacky

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

I think UA looked at the what NIke's been doing (most notably in my mind TCU's 2010 Pro Combat pants) and decided to do it too.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

I think UA looked at the what NIke's been doing (most notably in my mind TCU's 2010 Pro Combat pants) and decided to do it too.

Agreed. Similar to how multiple companies looked at the iphone and ipad and decided to do it too. Maybe not as good as Apple to begin with, but they caught up fast. Let's not kid ourselves, this is a business and the companies involved are not held to some higher form of artistic idealism.

MD has been talking about this re-brand and subsequent uniform change for months now. I'm interested to see the final product, as the uniforms portrayed in NCAA 2012 are not the uniform design per the Washington Post:

Are these Maryland?s new football uniforms?

The turtle shell pattern wouldn't be so bad if it were by itself, but it's also mashed up with the Maryland flag design and hideous sublimated numbers, creating some truly ridiculous uniforms.

I also hate Maryland's current font, so I'm not upset to see that go, but I'm not sure these are much of an upgrade.

One of my very first concepts posted on these boards...

Terps1redv2.jpg

Would work well..with these uni's.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

Archived