2011NCAA Football Thread

Gary

If Arkansas wins next week, they would have beaten LSU, LSU would have beaten Alabama, and Alabama would have beaten Arkansas. All teams will be at 11-1. Who makes the National Championship in that scenario? Does a non-SEC team sneak in?

Montana would automatically go to the title game.

No I think Alaska State would go. They have a great offense.

HARVARD'S THE BEST ONE-LOSS TEAM IN THE NATION PAWWWWWWWWLLL. 12 NATIONAL TITLES DON'T LIE

Speaking of which, Harvard and Lehigh are both two out of like 3 one-loss teams in FCS (plus undefeated Sam Houston State). The Ivy and Patriot Leagues don't participate in the FCS Tournament. Have fun creating that bracket with so many 2-loss teams having to take out those two the Crimson :blink:

EDIT: Fixed some things with the FCS Conferences and which ones don't play in it

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Arkansas wins next week, they would have beaten LSU, LSU would have beaten Alabama, and Alabama would have beaten Arkansas. All teams will be at 11-1. Who makes the National Championship in that scenario? Does a non-SEC team sneak in?

I'll use the 2008 Big XII model in trying to weigh everything here. Let's assume it's a close game next week, if only because it's hard to imagine LSU losing by a big margin in Death Valley. I'll assume...17-10 Hogs.

In 2008, Texas beat OU 45-35, who lost to TTech 38-33, who lost to OU 62-20.

TTech was screwed because they had the worst loss by a significant margin. I thought Texas was jilted in 2008 personally, but in that case, there was no way the SEC champion (Florida) was going to be denied a title game berth, being an SEC team that just beat the nation's #1 in the final week of the season. That, and it was an SEC team for cripes' sake.

Here in '11, Alabama beat Ark. 38-14, who (in this model) beat LSU 17-10, who beat 'Bama 9-6.

Arkansas has the worst margin of loss. I fear they would be the odd man out here. They also have the lowest historical profile among the three teams (like Tech vs. OU/UT). I fear we're on a collision course for a re-match of the Tide and Tigers, though the Iron Bowl provides a touch of hope that perhaps Auburn can derail that ridiculous possibility once and for all.

All depends on who is last. If Alabama is last, Arkansas goes to the SEC title. If LSU is last, Alabama goes.

LvZYtbZ.png

I'll use the 2008 Big XII model in trying to weigh everything here. Let's assume it's a close game next week, if only because it's hard to imagine LSU losing by a big margin in Death Valley. I'll assume...17-10 Hogs.

TTech was screwed because they had the worst loss by a significant margin. I thought Texas was jilted in 2008 personally, but in that case, there was no way the SEC champion (Florida) was going to be denied a title game berth, being an SEC team that just beat the nation's #1 in the final week of the season. That, and it was an SEC team for cripes' sake.

Here in '11, Alabama beat Ark. 38-14, who (in this model) beat LSU 17-10, who beat 'Bama 9-6.

Arkansas has the worst margin of loss. I fear they would be the odd man out here. They also have the lowest historical profile among the three teams (like Tech vs. OU/UT). I fear we're on a collision course for a re-match of the Tide and Tigers, though the Iron Bowl provides a touch of hope that perhaps Auburn can derail that ridiculous possibility once and for all.

All depends on who is last. If Alabama is last, Arkansas goes to the SEC title. If LSU is last, Alabama goes.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I think Arkansas would be last.

I mean, they would've beaten #1, but #1 would've still beaten #2, and #2 would've still beaten #3. I'm guessing it'll be weighed by margins of victory, which in all likelihood, will not help Arkansas when it's all said and done. I certainly can't see them jumping Alabama given that the Tide housed them earlier this year.

If the Tigers take care of business next week, this migraine goes by the boards, obviously.

spacer.png

Virginia wins 14-13 by the skin of their teeth against Florida State, when FSU's kicker missed a 43 yard field goal. This is the first time UVA has beaten FSU in Tallahassee.

WA HOO WA

Jimbo's lack of clock management will get a pass because more of the nation saw both Chip Kelly and Bob Stoops have the same mismanagement but on bigger scales.

Possible BCS matchups

Championship - LSU (13-0) vs. Alabama (11-1)

Rose Bowl - Oregon (11-2) vs. Michigan State (11-2)

Sugar Bowl - Arkansas (10-2) vs. Houston (13-0)

Orange Bowl - Virginia Tech (12-1) vs. Rutgers (9-3)

Fiesta Bowl - Oklahoma State (11-1) vs. Stanford (11-1)

Not in that scenario. Arkansas couldn't make it that way.

LvZYtbZ.png

Possible BCS matchups

Stanford cannot move tickets. Wisconsin can.

Possible BCS matchups

Even a 10-3 Wisconsin and the president of the Fiesta Bowl is a a Stanford grad

I mean, they would've beaten #1, but #1 would've still beaten #2, and #2 would've still beaten #3. I'm guessing it'll be weighed by margins of victory, which in all likelihood, will not help Arkansas when it's all said and done. I certainly can't see them jumping Alabama given that the Tide housed them earlier this year.

If the Tigers take care of business next week, this migraine goes by the boards, obviously.

If it's LSU, Bama, Arkansas going into Friday's game, I truly believe the Hogs would certainly not finish last in that trio should they beat LSU. It's not as much who they lost to (or even how badly), it'll be when they lost. Since LSU would have had the last loss, they're going to be pushed down in the human polls (therefore the BCS).

If Arkansas prevails (which isn't gonna happen, so it doesn't matter), I'm guessing that Bama would be #1, with Arkansas #2, and LSU #3. That would put 'Bama in the SEC Championship, but Arkansas likely in a better position to land themselves in the Mythical National Championship game, oddly enough. At least they wouldn't have a chance to lose. :P

Can someone explain to me again what it is that makes the NFL so much more entertaining than college football? On their best day, the NFL could never create this much excitement. B)

Roger Goodell just fined you 500 internets for saying that. :P

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Possible BCS matchups

Even a 10-3 Wisconsin and the president of the Fiesta Bowl is a a Stanford grad

A second B1G team could still be more likely than Stanford because they can easily sell 17,500 tickets or more and fill hotel rooms. UConn last year did not do that much for the area, but Sparty, Wisconsin, or even Michigan could fill rooms.

Heck, since the B1G could have ten eligible teams and only eight contracted slots, Penn State, even with their record, may be on left out due to the Sandusky scandal.

Can someone explain to me again what it is that makes the NFL so much more entertaining than college football? On their best day, the NFL could never create this much excitement. B)

If the NFL played 60 games each weekend, Im sure they would have just as muxh buzz as college football does. Id say, for each "close game" the NFL & NCAA has, there are about 4 or 5 duds.

6uXNWAo.png

If it's LSU, Bama, Arkansas going into Friday's game, I truly believe the Hogs would certainly not finish last in that trio should they beat LSU. It's not as much who they lost to (or even how badly), it'll be when they lost. Since LSU would have had the last loss, they're going to be pushed down in the human polls (therefore the BCS).

If Arkansas prevails (which isn't gonna happen, so it doesn't matter), I'm guessing that Bama would be #1, with Arkansas #2, and LSU #3. That would put 'Bama in the SEC Championship, but Arkansas likely in a better position to land themselves in the Mythical National Championship game, oddly enough. At least they wouldn't have a chance to lose. :P

If Arkansas and Alabama finish 1-2 (doesn't matter who's in which slot), Alabama goes to the SEC Championship.

Roger Goodell just fined you 500 internets for saying that. :P

He's a Browns fan, not a Steelers fan.

And I totally understand your POV on this - I guess this is how the BCS gets it rocks. Not based on what is best for the sport as a whole, but for people to argue over items like this that can be translated numerous different ways, since none of us actually know how that screwed up organization functions.

I certainly have the least amount of disdain for the Hogs. Would love to see them advance to the championship in New Orleans.

spacer.png

If Arkansas and Alabama finish 1-2 (doesn't matter who's in which slot), Alabama goes to the SEC Championship.

IF RootHog beats LSU, then the voters will look at each team's "resume" to determine their order and will use ranked opponents (and that time and current):

LSU wins over Oregon, @Alabama, @WFV, Auburn, Florida

Bama wins over @Penn State, Arkansas, @Florida

Arkansas wins over Texas A&M, South Carolina, @LSU

Only the computers will look at each team's resume as the determining factor (LSU would still have the best "Body of Work" IMO). The voters will look at the fact that LSU just lost and the other two will move ahead.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

LOL, I was at the game. I have season tickets. And all I have to say is great effort by Oregon. I thought they were dead in the water, but wow what a comeback. However, Boisegon better beat Oregon State, or else I'm gonna be pissed.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Archived