22. Notre Dame

23. Georgia Tech

24. Auburn

25. Texas

Looks like someone else beat me to it.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The computers are definitely smoking something. Okie State is still #2 in their "minds".

It's called, "SEC teams 4-12 are a smoking pile of :censored: that struggle to beat SoCon squads"

The Big 12 is actually a better conference than the SEC this season by any measure other than "prestige".

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Yeah, there is no way Oklahoma State should still be in the top five. They're still a great team IMO but they lost to unranked Iowa State. They should have dropped more. I also think VT is slightly overrated. Other than that, I have no qualms with the rankings right now.

In the SEC, losing in overtime at an unranked yet bowl-eligible team would be a sign of the league's parity. In every other conference its apparently a sign of unforgivable weakness. :rolleyes:

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

rams80, just how mad are you?

people will complain about the lovefest the media has for the SEC all day like it is without basis, yet no one will step up to the plate and challenge them.

you have to beat the man to be the man.

people will complain about the lovefest the media has for the SEC all day like it is without basis, yet no one will step up to the plate and challenge them.

*points to victory over SEC East champs (who possibly could win the conference) in Georgia*

I meant when it is for all the marbles.

Beating an SEC team, whether one at the top or bottom of the conference, in one game is no feat. Certainly something to be proud of, but it doesn't encompass what "being in the SEC" is about. Doing it week in and week out and coming out undefeated should be automatic placement into any national championship.

I honestly don't want to get into the "SEC" discussion, because ever since yesterday and the possibility of the SEC going 1-2-3 in the BCS...all I have seen on non-SEC schools' forums is jealousy, complaining, and hatred towards the SEC...yet none of them have an answer for it. They just feel better about complaining. Kind of like most voters in politics.

If you don't want to see the SEC so much, then these teams need to prevent it by doing the obvious- win the games on your schedule. Every other team in the nation has allowed these three SEC teams to be 1-2-3.

Beating an SEC team, whether one at the top or bottom of the conference, in one game is no feat. Certainly something to be proud of, but it doesn't encompass what "being in the SEC" is about. Doing it week in and week out and coming out undefeated should be automatic placement into any national championship.

You know what, you're right. Why not just shut down all other conferences or demote them to FCS? After all, they don't and never will live up to SEC standards. :rolleyes:

People don't dislike the SEC because they win, they dislike the SEC because they perceive an attitude that the conference is entitled to the national title game every year from the fanbase.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

rams80, just how mad are you?

you have to beat the man to be the man.

What? By all objective accounting measures the Big XII is the better conference this season from top to bottom. And the non-LSU/Auburn/Alabama portion of the conference has all had many failures, near misses, and general signs that were they actually playing fellow AQs, bad things would happen THIS SEASON, ranging from South Carolina and Florida struggling to put away the Citadel and Furman, Georgia's aforementioned blowout against Boise, Auburn needing an onside kick to beat Utah State, the Rebel Black Bear donning a bag after Louisiana Tech, and "They s'posed to be SEC". Most of the Conference's own fanbase would concede that 3 quarters of the league have been kind of not good this season.

Of course, the acid test for the season comes this week when the top half of the SEC East has its little challenge series with the much-maligned ACC.

Today, we are all otaku.

*points to victory over SEC East champs (who possibly could win the conference) in Georgia*

I meant when it is for all the marbles.

I honestly don't want to get into the "SEC" discussion, because ever since yesterday and the possibility of the SEC going 1-2-3 in the BCS...all I have seen on non-SEC schools' forums is jealousy, complaining, and hatred towards the SEC...yet none of them have an answer for it. They just feel better about complaining. Kind of like most voters in politics.

If you don't want to see the SEC so much, then these teams need to prevent it by doing the obvious- win the games on your schedule. Every other team in the nation has allowed these three SEC teams to be 1-2-3.

No offense Cola, but you are one serious SEC homer. There's nothing wrong with that and you do make some valid points. But you act like Vanderbilt would run roughshod through the Big Ten or Pac 12. There's no denying that the top two or three teams in the SEC are usually among the top 5-7 teams in the country. After the top two or three though, there really isn't what I'd call a gap in talent between the SEC and any of the other power conferences.

For instance, I think USC would have no trouble beating Arkansas or Georgia. I think they'd give Alabama and LSU a run for their money. They'd beat the daylights out of everyone else in the SEC. Do you really think that a team like Oklahoma State wouldn't compete in the SEC? Like it or not, Boise State easily handled Georgia. My point being that winning the SEC, while not as easy as winning the Big East or ACC, isn't quite the crucible you make it out to be. Are the top SEC teams better than everyone else? Probably. But after that, I don't think there's that much of a difference between the second tier of the SEC and the second tier of the other power conferences.

Just my opinion.

BB52Big.jpg

I will also toss in that there exists the possibility (albeit mostly theoretical, since it relies on both Ole Miss and Kentucky winning) that only 7 SEC teams will finish the year Bowl eligible.

EDIT-Further food for thought: The Big XII already has 8 Bowl-eligible teams, despite trading a soup-can game for a 9 game Conference schedule.

Today, we are all otaku.

You ever notice how people who tout the exploits of an entire conference usually are a fan of a middling team from said conference?

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

You ever notice how people who tout the exploits of an entire conference usually are a fan of a middling team from said conference?

No. But now that you mention it. Yeah, you're on to something there. Come to think of it, do we even have any serious LSU fans here? I think we have one or two 'Bama fans.

BB52Big.jpg

YES. It seems particularly true of Kentucky fans.

By their same "good by proxy" logic, I should've been waving my NL Central pride when the Brewers and Cardinals played each other in the NLCS this year.

PvO6ZWJ.png

You know what would be a bitch.

Arkansas beats LSU

Auburn beats Bama

Georgia beats Arkansas in the SEC Title Game

Notre Dame beats Stanford

OU beats Okie State

What will become of the BCS after that.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

You know what would be a bitch.

Arkansas beats LSU

Auburn beats Bama

Georgia beats Arkansas in the SEC Title Game

Notre Dame beats Stanford

OU beats Okie State

What will become of the BCS after that.

Nothing. They will remain the dominant force in governing the Division I college football championship so much as nobody serious challenges them in court, and I don't think it would be all that hard to prove they operate as a cartel who's sole goal to ensure that the big conference teams are never serioiusly challenged and remain in power both in the standings and financially. Problem is finding somebody with to challenge it which will take alot of money to do, but the BCS has the money to go to court forever and would just simply appeal every decision until they get status quo or it goes to the Supreme Court which hates hearing cases like these. The only parties I could think of that could afford to do it would be the Justice Department either at the federal or state level. Colleges I think would stand way too much to lose by challenging the system.

To make matters worse the BCS is going to drop every other bowl game outside of the National Title game, so in essence were going right back to the Bowl Alliance system once the current cycle is done in 2014. If you think its hard now for a team like Boise State to crack a BCS game, wait until you see how hard its going to be then. The bowl games are simply going to sign exclusive contracts with conferences and if your not in one of those conferences, your out.

To me it explains alot about why theres been such a push for these "super" conferences now as opposed to two or three years ago.

Archived