NHL OFFSEASON - 2011

charger77

I know that I'm going to sound like a homer here, but with the addition of Richards I believe that the Rangers are a top 4 team in the East, and should win one or two playoff series. Richards should make everyone around him better, especially Gaborik, and if he has a big season I would watch out. Once again I know I sound like a homer, but this is the first year in a while that I actually feel this way.

Who is their top defensive pairing again?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice to see Brad Richards embrace the NHL pension plan.

Step 1 become a star, underpaid star in a small market with a good team.

Step 2 become a champion may include a deal and a new team that is ready to win.

Step 3 become a UFA

Step 4 Sign with the Rangers for a big contract even though you are passed your prime. May end in a buyout. You also get loads of free time with Rangers not making it past the first round.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Well how many times have they tried to sign a big name free agent and it doesn't work out?

8571138.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

Leafs FINALLY do something. Tim Connolly- 2 years, $4.75 million per.

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

Leafs FINALLY do something. Tim Connolly- 2 years, $4.75 million per.

It's really higher when you consider he has a snowball's chance in hell of playing 82 games.

I can't believe he got a raise! If that's what the market is really like, it makes Leino look like a steal for the Sabres.

Well how many times have they tried to sign a big name free agent and it doesn't work out?

I almost wrote a post this morning about how I didn't understand why big name free agent would sign up to be the latest free agent failure for the Rangers. I'm sure Richards was offered somewhat similar money elsewhere; the only thing I could think of was if you win a Stanley Cup in NY, it's probably worth as much for your legacy as three with the Lightning or Stars.

I can't accurately gauge the value of a Rangers win vis-a-vis a win anywhere else. I mean, obviously it will now and forever mean more than winning with the Carolina Hurricanes, but the hoopla surrounding 1994 was what it was because it broke a giant drought and the team was kind of a who's who of golden-age '80s hockey. Since the Rags obviously haven't won a Cup or really done much of anything since then, we have nothing else with which to judge New York hockey joy, other than some Ken Daneyko FanJams in the Meadowlands parking lot, and the less said about that, the better. My suspicion, however, is that the Rangers are not to their league or their town what the Knicks and Yankees are to theirs, and a Henrik Lundqvist/Ryan Callahan championship run would be by all means well-received without igniting the over-the-top insanity that '94 brought.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Wow. I wonder how much B.S. John Tortorella threw Brad Richards. Has Brad Richards not looked at the roster? Besides him, where is the talent? Gaborik? For how long? When will he get injured? After that then what? It's a team full of 2 and 3 line talent and then Brad Richards. And the defense is where and who? Has this franchise not learned? Did they not learn from the Chris Drury & Scott Gomez signings? Did Brad Richards not see the epic fail that those two had and that the team had? This franchise doesn't get you can't just pay every free agent out there and build a team that way, and obviously Brad Richards was blinded by the lights that are New York to actually see that he's going to a team that will always be struggling to get into the playoffs and then when they do they'll bow out year after year in the first round. I mean heck, after this season they'll have a new coach anyway, because Tortorella will be fired and blamed for everything that is wrong with this team. I would've had more respect for the guy if he would've signed with Philly, Boston, Detroit, even Montreal, San Jose, or Vancouver but to sign in New York, shows he doesn't want to win another Cup and he's just cashing in. Enjoy your money Brad, it won't buy you happiness.

Ian White signs in Detroit.

George McPhee is a genius. Trade Varlamov for a 1st and a 2nd, then sign Vokoun for next to nothing.

Wow. I wonder how much B.S. John Tortorella threw Brad Richards. Has Brad Richards not looked at the roster? Besides him, where is the talent? Gaborik? For how long? When will he get injured? After that then what? It's a team full of 2 and 3 line talent and then Brad Richards. And the defense is where and who? Has this franchise not learned? Did they not learn from the Chris Drury & Scott Gomez signings? Did Brad Richards not see the epic fail that those two had and that the team had? This franchise doesn't get you can't just pay every free agent out there and build a team that way, and obviously Brad Richards was blinded by the lights that are New York to actually see that he's going to a team that will always be struggling to get into the playoffs and then when they do they'll bow out year after year in the first round. I mean heck, after this season they'll have a new coach anyway, because Tortorella will be fired and blamed for everything that is wrong with this team. I would've had more respect for the guy if he would've signed with Philly, Boston, Detroit, even Montreal, San Jose, or Vancouver but to sign in New York, shows he doesn't want to win another Cup and he's just cashing in. Enjoy your money Brad, it won't buy you happiness.

You're just a sad panda because he didn't sign with Los Angeles.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I can't accurately gauge the value of a Rangers win vis-a-vis a win anywhere else. I mean, obviously it will now and forever mean more than winning with the Carolina Hurricanes, but the hoopla surrounding 1994 was what it was because it broke a giant drought and the team was kind of a who's who of golden-age '80s hockey

Agree, but you need to factor in sports media hype machine inflation: 1994 hype vs. 2012 hype.

Caps signed Vokoun to a one-year deal worth $1.5 million.

Unfreakingbelievable. I am a huge Neuvirth fan, but this is an absolute steal. How do you say no to this? You just cant. Vokoun is elite, and he wants a chance to win. McPhee means business. Now sign Alzner and Brouwer by LTIR'ing Poti and trading Semin and we'll be good to go.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Archived