Padres - Nationals retro uniforms

larrypep

I hate the fact Washington wears those Senators jerseys, they are in no way affiliated with that team anymore. Texas a few years back wore Senators throwbacks.

They honor WASHINGTON baseball history. They have the records of the Expos and they honor Expos records, but you cannot seriously expect a Washington team to wear Montreal throwbacks.

If Texas can wear the old Senators uniforms I think it wouldn't hurt for the Nats to don the old Expos uniforms once. Maybe even in San Diego as a throwback to 1969 game, that would be fun. After all, both teams are sister teams that came into the league in 1969.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate the fact Washington wears those Senators jerseys, they are in no way affiliated with that team anymore. Texas a few years back wore Senators throwbacks.

They honor WASHINGTON baseball history. They have the records of the Expos and they honor Expos records, but you cannot seriously expect a Washington team to wear Montreal throwbacks.

If Texas can wear the old Senators uniforms I think it wouldn't hurt for the Nats to don the old Expos uniforms once. Maybe even in San Diego as a throwback to 1969 game, that would be fun. After all, both teams are sister teams that came into the league in 1969.

The only problem is that many of the fans who watch Rangers games hate the Senators look. In fact, I would venture to say that the club wants to shy away from mentioning their Washington history. This is the 50th year of Senators/Rangers baseball, but the team is only promoting that next year will be the 40th year of baseball in Arlington. If the Rangers wore those damn Senators jerseys again, there would be as much consternation as if the Nationals wore Expos throwbacks.

The Nats looked strange with different color sanitary socks under the stirrups. Some players were wearing red socks, some were wearing dark ones, and the bulk were wearing the proper white ones.

The Padres were guilty, too.

Overall, this was a good throwback effort. I still wish Majestic would learn to place the numbers higher toward the neckline when no name is on the back of a jersey.

999x.jpg

It looks to me like these are white stirrups with socks underneath and a few players have white socks, a couple have red and #38 has blue.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Haven't both the Brewers and Mariners worn Seattle Pilots throwbacks?

I dunno about that. The only time I could see it appropriate for the Nats to wear Expos alternates is playing in Toronto in Interleague play, otherwise, I dont think many Nats fans would be very acceptable of it. Plus one of the other reasons for throwback days is for fans to buy up throwback merchandise, and 99% of Nats fans would be more likely to buy an old Senators hat rather than an Expos hat.

Really what I was objecting to is the person I quoted hating the fact the Nats wear throwback Senators jerseys. As long as baseball doesnt have a problem with it, it should be done. Baseball tradition in the District goes behind the current Nationals, they have won a World Series and that tradition should be honored.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Haven't both the Brewers and Mariners worn Seattle Pilots throwbacks?

Yes, but not against each other. ;)

The Brewers and Braves did once play a "1957 Milwaukee Braves v. 1957 Milwaukee Braves" game at County Stadium.

For a real mind-eff, the Padres should have worn their 1974 "we almost became the Washington Something-Or-Others" unis:

waspads.jpg

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The 1936 Senators are now actually the Minnesota Twins haha. So really these throwbacks don't honor a period in Nationals history. Washington baseball history yes, but I guess I just don't see the point of them considering how new the Nats are

The Padres have no ties to that PCL team either. There's no difference between this and a Negro League uniform throwback night. In this case, you're honoring the history of baseball in the city, not the actual teams' history. It's a nice move. More people should be aware that baseball existed in their city either prior to their current club's arrival or in other league incarnations. Cities like San Diego, Houston, & Kansas City have rich baseball traditions outside of their current clubs, and a sport who honors their history the way baseball does would be doing a disservice to ignore it.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

I think throwback games are better when the teams wear uniforms that someone actually remembers seeing on the field, but that's just me, I guess. I'd like to have see the sets these came into the league with in 1969.

This

...and this.

Wow, those are beautiful uniforms. Especially the San Diego one. That's a tremendous wordmark which works well on a pinstripes jersey. Love both teams' stirrups too.

BTW, if the Padres are ever looking for a new wordmark for their road uniforms, this one is a damn good place to start. I actually like their current road uniforms, but a wordmark like this one might improve it further.

1923 1927 1928 1932 1936 1937 1938 1939 1941 1943 1947 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1956 1958 1961 1962 1977 1978 1996 1998 1999 2000 2009

For a real mind-eff, the Padres should have worn their 1974 "we almost became the Washington Something-Or-Others" unis:

waspads.jpg

I have only seen black & white versions of this picture. Is this a true color or just a "colorized" version of what the colors should have been.

waspads.jpg

I have only seen black & white versions of this picture. Is this a true color or just a "colorized" version of what the colors should have been.

Nope, it's true color. There's at least one other color photo of the same uniform floating around, no info on the homes (and therefore nothing with a team name on it).

Archived