[MLB] Does anyone else dislike the ASG determining WS home-field advantage?

Quillz

I hate it. Best overall record should be rewarded with home field. That way the team decides it as opposed to a bunch of players who may not have a stake in it.

Yes because what guy in Kansas City really cares about how much they can help the Yankees go to the World Series with the game winning HR!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it is terrible, HFA should go to the team that has the best record period end of story. It is silly to do it in the All-Star Game an exhibition game that this year has seen more players pull out than I can ever recall.

If you pull out of the All-Star game then you should automatically miss the next three games as well. If your healthy enough to play in the games after the break then your healthy enough to play in the game itself.

I get a pitcher who started Sunday not wanting to play in which case the three game rule wouldn't effect him because he wouldn't be starting any of those games anyway, but a position player has no such excuse.

Doesn't the NHL have a suspension if a player misses the All-Star Game (1 or 2 games?) I did a quick search and didn't really see anything but remember hearing that.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I think it is terrible, HFA should go to the team that has the best record period end of story. It is silly to do it in the All-Star Game an exhibition game that this year has seen more players pull out than I can ever recall.

If you pull out of the All-Star game then you should automatically miss the next three games as well. If your healthy enough to play in the games after the break then your healthy enough to play in the game itself.

I get a pitcher who started Sunday not wanting to play in which case the three game rule wouldn't effect him because he wouldn't be starting any of those games anyway, but a position player has no such excuse.

Doesn't the NHL have a suspension if a player misses the All-Star Game (1 or 2 games?) I did a quick search and didn't really see anything but remember hearing that.

They do and I agree with it. Back in '09 Lidstrom and Datsyuk sat out the game citing injuries and were suspended one game by the NHL.

Fans are paying top dollar for that game. Its given a primetime viewing audience on network TV. I don't think its unreasonable to expect this game be treated with the same amount of competitiveness as a regular season game at the very least. If that's a problem then don't give the game top billing.

You sit out the game, you sit out the next three as well. If a case comes up where a player has a family emergency, I would give the commissioner the right to sign off on that player leaving without serving the suspension, but that's about it.

Like I said if your healthy enough to play the game after, your healthy enough to play in the All-Star game as well.

1. Get rid of the WS Home Advantage thing, it's pointless and does not reflect the leagues' champions.

2. Make the All-Stars show up and participate in festivities, unless they're truly on the DL. They don't have to play in the game if they're hurt or just pitched the day before, but dress them up for the opening intros and have them be around for the Fan Fest, since they're the ones who voted them in.

3. Unlimited substitutions. This will get more people into the game, and since the pressure of WS home advantage is off, makes it more fun. Just walked Ortiz? Fine...Carl Crawford is pinch running for him. Ortiz will bat again later.

4. More contests. I get bored with the Home Run Derby after the first round..it drags on too long with "back back back that's going to [insert zip code or suburb] Berman". Add a fastest pitch contest. Five throws, who can break 105? Fastest runner to first or around the bases. Longest throw from the outfield. How about longest homer? Put up a batting tee or something...let's see someone put it out over 500 feet...that's fun!

The NBA and NHL involve more All-Stars in their festivities...MLB should as well.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

i like it the way it was before with alternate HFA. if this way would have been kept, the NL would have HFA in the WS this year. also i think the WS should be like as it was before 1969 with the best team in each league playing. the WS should not be playing into november.

so long and thanks for all the fish.

It's the stupidest thing ever. I always bring up the Randy Johnson/Kruk/Walker incidents as the prime example of the fun that this game used to be about. As mentioned the 2002 game was a fluke and a lot of the uproar too was due to an impending CBA dispute, which they thankfully resolved before any work stoppage.

- Make the rosters 40 players if they want, with 5 alternates who can only play if a player is hurt (prior to the break the alternate spot can be refilled). If the game goes extras, they all become active. If they happen to run out of pitchers, they re-enter starting with the first one who has not pitched the 3 inning limit, going down the line.

- DH no matter where the game is. I'm adamantly against the DH in baseball, except for the ASG. It just makes sense to have it there. Let the pitchers just pitch. That's why they got voted in. And let another player hit since that's the main reason they're there.

But return it to being the Mid-Summer Classic that I used to be.

I'd be okay with suspensions for missing the games, but the other issue with these players is it's a popularity contest. If you want ALL-STARS you have to actually regulate voting a bit better and if the MLB wants to keep voting up to the fans, then they need to make fan voting rules more strict. I get that the big name players draw the most ratings, but even Albert Pujols said he didn't deserve to be an All-Star, and his numbers for the first half show it. The MLB has to decide - Big name players "all-stars" who some of them probably really aren't all stars, or lesser known names that might actually be deserving of an All-Star spot. Granted I think in the past it's been a pretty good mix of the two groups. There were big name players that were actually deserving of the ballot and spot on the All-Star roster, but when I saw Pujols name on the ballot this season I kind of went "Really?" and I'm a Cardinals fan!

A few years back there were quite a few players backing out because of injuries, but since that game this years game is one of the most I've seen. To makes things even worse, players still get their bonus for being selected, even if they don't play??????? Seriously?

Like someone else on this thread said the HFA was Selig's knee-jerk reaction to the tie in Milwaukee. I think the reason Selig made it for a couple of reasons. One, fans at the game booed the tie like no ones business, the media went nuts like it was a World Series game 7 tie. I also think Selig felt pressure because he's from Milwaukee.

I admit that the HFA rule for the All Star Game has made players WANT to play more and WANT to be their, but I think that HFA for All-Star Game league winner has run it's course and time to move on. First they have to decide if it's an exhibition game, if it is, then let it be like the All-Star games of the past if it's a tie, it's a tie, and don't let HFA be the prize. If you want the game to count, REQUIRE players to be there. If you really have an injury that prevents you from everyday play, that's one thing.

Options:

- First, remove the "Every team has to be represented, every player must play" rules. Give the players on the league that wins ONE Regular Season Win for each of the players teams that won. Example: Prince Fielder is selected as a NL player in the ASG. But he's injured, so Matt Holiday is selected as his replacement. Let's say the NL wins the ASG. Each team that has a player represented gets one regulation win. Meaning if using this season records as example then the Cardinals would have 50 wins. If the Cubs and Pirates each had at least one representative, then the Cubs would have 38 wins, while Pittsburgh would get their 48th win and so on.

Yes, the second part of this would mean each AL team that had a player represented would receive a loss.

This makes it a regulation game and if a player gets hurt, it's like them getting hurt in the regular season. This would make those selected WANT to play and they'd probably show up. Imagine the backlash by teams/fans if a player selected decides NOT to go and then his league lost...

May seem a little harsh, but it's interesting to consider.

Another option might be to move the All-Star game to just before the World Series Game 1. Yeah it might be in October, but you could place the All-Star game in a warm-weather city if needed, though so many stadiums now days are retractable roof stadiums, you probably would have to move too many if at all. Plus moving the All-Star Game to the after the season and playoffs players don't break in July, they just keep playing. This might end the season a few days earlier than if the ASG was played in July.

Other options:

- Eliminate the ASG all together. Not a real fan of this, but it's an option.

- Play the All Star Game on July 4th. Players without (poof of?) injury(ies) that don't show or don't want to go get suspended and/or fined.I think the MLB All-Star Game on July 4th with maybe fireworks display to close it out would be spectacular and great for the game. I think players, especially US player would be wanting to go.

Oh well, I'll still watch, just kind of annoying that we have 16 selected players not participating for one reason or another.

I'd be okay with suspensions for missing the games, but the other issue with these players is it's a popularity contest. If you want ALL-STARS you have to actually regulate voting a bit better and if the MLB wants to keep voting up to the fans, then they need to make fan voting rules more strict. I get that the big name players draw the most ratings, but even Albert Pujols said he didn't deserve to be an All-Star, and his numbers for the first half show it. The MLB has to decide - Big name players "all-stars" who some of them probably really aren't all stars, or lesser known names that might actually be deserving of an All-Star spot. Granted I think in the past it's been a pretty good mix of the two groups. There were big name players that were actually deserving of the ballot and spot on the All-Star roster, but when I saw Pujols name on the ballot this season I kind of went "Really?" and I'm a Cardinals fan!

A few years back there were quite a few players backing out because of injuries, but since that game this years game is one of the most I've seen. To makes things even worse, players still get their bonus for being selected, even if they don't play??????? Seriously?

Like someone else on this thread said the HFA was Selig's knee-jerk reaction to the tie in Milwaukee. I think the reason Selig made it for a couple of reasons. One, fans at the game booed the tie like no ones business, the media went nuts like it was a World Series game 7 tie. I also think Selig felt pressure because he's from Milwaukee.

I admit that the HFA rule for the All Star Game has made players WANT to play more and WANT to be their, but I think that HFA for All-Star Game league winner has run it's course and time to move on. First they have to decide if it's an exhibition game, if it is, then let it be like the All-Star games of the past if it's a tie, it's a tie, and don't let HFA be the prize. If you want the game to count, REQUIRE players to be there. If you really have an injury that prevents you from everyday play, that's one thing.

Options:

- First, remove the "Every team has to be represented, every player must play" rules. Give the players on the league that wins ONE Regular Season Win for each of the players teams that won. Example: Prince Fielder is selected as a NL player in the ASG. But he's injured, so Matt Holiday is selected as his replacement. Let's say the NL wins the ASG. Each team that has a player represented gets one regulation win. Meaning if using this season records as example then the Cardinals would have 50 wins. If the Cubs and Pirates each had at least one representative, then the Cubs would have 38 wins, while Pittsburgh would get their 48th win and so on.

Yes, the second part of this would mean each AL team that had a player represented would receive a loss.

This makes it a regulation game and if a player gets hurt, it's like them getting hurt in the regular season. This would make those selected WANT to play and they'd probably show up. Imagine the backlash by teams/fans if a player selected decides NOT to go and then his league lost...

Another option might be to move the All-Star game to just before the World Series Game 1. Yeah it might be in October, but you could place the All-Star game in a warm-weather city if needed, though so many stadiums now days are retractable roof stadiums, you probably would have to move too many if at all. Plus moving the All-Star Game to the after the season and playoffs players don't break in July, they just keep playing. This might end the season a few days earlier than if the ASG was played in July.

Other options:

- Play the All Star Game on July 4th. Players without (poof of?) injury(ies) that don't show or don't want to go get suspended and/or fined.I think the MLB All-Star Game on July 4th with maybe fireworks display to close it out would be spectacular and great for the game. I think players, especially US player would be wanting to go.

Oh well, I'll still watch, just kind of annoying that we have 16 selected players not participating for one reason or another.

Giving teams a win per ASG player is even worse. It should not count for ANYTHING. Teams get wins by winning games. You don't base it off who they had in the ASG. Then it would REALLY become a popularity contest.

I like the idea of having the All-Star Game on July 4th. Other than that, I dunno, not really in the mood to overthink the All-Star Game. I shouldn't have to, so I'm not gonna.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Options:

Other options:

Giving teams a win per ASG player is even worse. It should not count for ANYTHING. Teams get wins by winning games. You don't base it off who they had in the ASG. Then it would REALLY become a popularity contest.

Yeah, I never said I was for it, just giving options. Yeah it would be a popularity contest, but it already is and some might say if you're going to make it a popularity contest, make interesting but I don't think anyone would go for it nor does it make it any better.

I think the two strongest, other than keeping it an exhibition would be

-the 4th of July All-Star game.

- If not that then move the game to after the playoffs but before the World Series game 1 - Maybe the week before the World Series and if the two teams have any All-Stars they don't participate. Very much like the NFL Pro Bowl.

I also agree though - think the ASG should just be the All-Star game. Let the players have fun, it's a break, it's a vacation, it's for the fans. World Series HFA should NOT be decided in the ASG nor should it be alternated between leagues. It should go to the team with the best win pct.

Now to fix the 3 Ball walks... :)

I don't mind the winner getting home field for this one reason:

It's not like they had a better idea before.

If it went to the team with the better record, or on some other merit, OK.

However, they merely alternated between NL/AL every year. That was just as bad as this is.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

The MLB lost it's entertainment when it started counting. Before, it was arguably the best ASG in sports.

And just because the HFA way wasn't better before doesn't mean this should be it. Picking a bad way cuz it's better than the previous way does NOT mean it's a good way. It still sucks. There are better ways as mentioned before: simple, best record. Best interleague record was mentioned. Anything is better than it is now. I'd say the alternating years was better than this. It ruined the game.

See, I like the NHLASG's new wrinkle of having players choose up sides. That brings it slightly above "complete exercise is derivative pointlessness" and up to "slightly novel but ultimately pointless."

Not suggesting by any means that anybody else should do that. NBA conferences and baseball leagues are much more solid entities than NHL conferences are, and those all-star games aren't the grievously distressed asset that the NHLASG was, which went unplayed for two years without anyone really noticing.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I like the idea of having the All-Star Game on July 4th. Other than that, I dunno, not really in the mood to overthink the All-Star Game. I shouldn't have to, so I'm not gonna.

That is a terrible idea. July 4th needs a full schedule of day games, maybe even a double header or two.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

On some blog the other day the commentators came up with a couple of good ideas, that could work for other sports as well:

1) Give players the option of taking their names off the ASG ballot before voting starts. Allowing your name to remain on the ballot would be considered a binding agreement to play in the ASG if you are voted in and are healthy enough to play. (Presumably write-in voting would either not be allowed, or anyone voted in as a write-in would not be bound to play.)

2) All or part of each ASG player's paycheck for that game, or even just a separate amount provided by MLB on top of the game check, would go to a charity of each player's choice (also designated by the players before voting starts), with the winning team's share being much higher than the losing team's share. The idea here is that anyone who skips the game or doesn't play hard to win it effectively makes a heel of himself.

CCSLC signature.png

I don't think there's much wrong with the All-Star game as is.

Just get rid of the little league rules aspect of the game, not have it decided home field advantage in the World Series, and if you skip out of the game there are going to be consequences.

This is how I would attack the little league rules. Four of your starting nine have to play at least five innings, and three starters must play nine innings. Starting pitchers should also have to go at least 3 innings or throw 50 pitches. Whichever happens first. Any relief pitcher coming in before the sixth inning must face a minimum of six batters as well. I would also allow pitchers to come back in the game after the 12th inning.

Probably won't happen, but that's what I would do. I don't think any of those terms are unreasonable.

You're one of the "smart guys" around here. As such, it's your duty to over think the All-Star Game. Otherwise I'm left with the brilliant analysis of....OK, I won't mention anyone by name, but you know who I'm talking about. So let's get busy Lt. Commander. :D

BB52Big.jpg

I'd rather the game meant nothing, but was just a mid-season celebration of baseball. If it is that, then I'm fine with a representative from each team being there, have some fun, come up with some contests, but if it's meaningless, at least make it fun...

If the game is to mean something, then starters need to go all game. I have a hard time taking it with a straight face all the seriousness around "this time it counts" and "this is crucial for home field advantage" and then you pull Albert Pujols after 3 innings. Look at the 1967 game, which theoretically meant nothing. 15 innings, Clemente, Aaron, and Cepeda played all 15 for the Nationals, and Robinson, Oliva, Killebrew, Conigliaro, Yastrzemski, and Freehan played all 15 for the Americans. The AL used 5 pitchers for the entire game, with Catfish Hunter throwing the final 5 innings in relief...

I do however feel that if a player doesn't want to play in or even attend the All-Star Game, even if he's voted in, I'm fine with that for whatever reason the player may come up with, even if it's just "I don't wanna, I want 3 days off to sleep in and play Xbox"...

That is a terrible idea. July 4th needs a full schedule of day games, maybe even a double header or two.

Any reason why? Just curious.

Archived