The What-If Thread

Jahgee

But it would have been a peaceful burn right, like Burning Man. Just burn a giant effigy of Zdeno Chara.

There's not enough wood in British Columbia to make one of those.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A couple I've wondered about myself.

Football

What if Rickey Proehl had dropped the pass in the endzone? Or in the very least, what if Shaun King's pass to Bert Emmanuel on the next series had been ruled correctly?

Titans win a Super Bowl, Jeff Fisher gets his ring.

What if Kevin Dyson had been able to break Mike Jones' tackle?

Jeff Fisher gets his ring (still. :P). Vermeil doesn't "retire," stays with the Rams, the Rams don't suffer a Super Bowl Hangover & make it back. They run into a brick wall against the Ravens, but they come back for blood in 2001 & end their championship window with a Super Bowl victory against the Pats. Vermeil gets his ring, walks off into the sunset.

What if TO had dropped the pass, or even more likely, what if Steve Young would've slipped and fell?

49ers lose & T.O. falls into irrelevancy since that moment ends up defining his career, Brett Favre returns to Atlanta & trolls his former team, but the magic ends in Minnesota, who go on to end John Elway's repeat bid & win Super Bowl XXXIII. Instead of riding off into the sunset, Elway then proceeds to become 2007-2010 Favre before Favre could, holding the Broncos under hostage year after year before hopping around from team to team, trying to win that 2nd ring. It never happens, Elway goes into retirement with his reputation tarnished somewhat. As a Falcon fan, the Eugene Robinson "episode" during Super Bowl XXXIII weekend is swept under the rug since the Falcons don't make it. :P

Basketball

What if Robert Horry hadn't drilled that game-winning buzzer beater?

Which one? He made like a bajillion. :lol:

Answers in red. This was a good one!

What if John Leclair's shot doesn't go in through the side of the net in 2000? The Sabres could have had another playoff run with Dominik Hasek in his prime. Read about it here. Watch Gary Bettman weasel his way out of admitting the NHL was wrong here:

Jeff Fisher gets his ring (still. :P). Vermeil doesn't "retire," stays with the Rams, the Rams don't suffer a Super Bowl Hangover & make it back. They run into a brick wall against the Ravens, but they come back for blood in 2001 & end their championship window with a Super Bowl victory against the Pats. Vermeil gets his ring, walks off into the sunset.

This assumes that Tennessee goes for two. Otherwise we'd get our first overtime Super Bowl and who knows what would happen (Yes, I know Jeff Wilkins did not live up to his nickname that night, but I gotta think he would have won it in OT if put in position to do so.)

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

t

This assumes that Tennessee goes for two. Otherwise we'd get our first overtime Super Bowl and who knows what would happen (Yes, I know Jeff Wilkins did not live up to his nickname that night, but I gotta think he would have won it in OT if put in position to do so.)

Jeff Fisher is on record for saying he wouldn't have gone for two.

The game would have gone to OT and who knows what the outcome would have been in that scenairo. In a game where the two teams were that evenly matched there's no way to know for sure. I believe that whoever would have won the toss would have won the game on the firs posession. The Rams D was sucking wind on that last drive and I don't think could have gotten back up to stop the Titans again. They would have at least moved into field goal range.

Likewise I think the Titans pass blitz was also exhausted and Warner would have just picked the Titans D apart had he been given another chance.

What if Peter Pocklington didn't break my 8 year old heard 23 years ago today?

You'd be a happy liberal instead of an embittered conservative!!! ;)

and the Oilers might have continued it's domination for an extra couple of years. And Hockey's attempt to grow in the south might have died an earlier death.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

and the Oilers might have continued it's domination for an extra couple of years. And Hockey's attempt to grow in the south might have died an earlier death.

Well, until 1991, when the Pens would have beat them in the Stanley Cup Finals.

Well, until 1991, when the Pens would have beat them in the Stanley Cup Finals.

I wouldn't be too sure about that. Remember it did take them 6 games to be a ho-hum Minnesota North Stars team. It would have been the league's dream match-up though and Gretzky was the Art Ross winner that year on a team that was not as deep as Edmonton.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

What if Bill Belichick listened to the fans and local media and replaced Drew Bledsoe with Michael Bishop in 2000? Would Brady be on another team or out of football entirely right now? Would Bishop actually get some accuracy with his athleticism under Belichick's tutelage?

Good question. Depends on how good Bishop was doing. If he was a capable QB, maybe they don't sign Bledsoe to the extension that they did, and trade him away. If they do that, they still probably draft Brady.

However, with Bishop in that game and as the starter instead of Bledsoe, the injury never happens, and the stars don't align perfectly for Brady, even if he evenutally does take over in the event of Bishop getting hurt or being ineffective.

What if Ted Simmons gets the 5% of the vote needed on the 1994 HOF Ballot to remain on further ballots? Better yet, what if that 5% rule didn't exist? I wonder if Simmons would have been elected by now. To me, he is one of those "Why the hell isn't he in the HOF??" guys in baseball history. I can't find a sound reason for his exclusion - if catchers like Roger Bresnahan and Rick Ferrell can get in, then Ted Simmons sure as hell should.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

What if Ted Simmons gets the 5% of the vote needed on the 1994 HOF Ballot to remain on further ballots? Better yet, what if that 5% rule didn't exist? I wonder if Simmons would have been elected by now. To me, he is one of those "Why the hell isn't he in the HOF??" guys in baseball history. I can't find a sound reason for his exclusion - if catchers like Roger Bresnahan and Rick Ferrell can get in, then Ted Simmons sure as hell should.

Simmons and Torre are two guys who's argument against I really just don't understand.

Bresnahan I think belongs in. His numbers don't look great but that's as good as your going to get for that time period for catcher. If your OPS is over .750 during the deadball era, your a pretty good hitter and that's at any position let alone catcher. Ferrell I have some questions about though.

NFL

- What if the Raiders never left Oakland in 1982?

- What if the Colts never left Baltimore in 1984?

- What if the Cardinals never left St. Louis in 1988?

- What if the NFL was supplanted by the original WLAF as the big pro football league?

- What if the Chargers managed to beat the 49ers in Super Bowl XXIX?

- What if the Rams never left Anaheim in 1995?

- How many Raider fans would invade Qualcomm Stadium if the Chargers moved to the NFC West in 2002?

MLB

- What if MLB went ahead with its contraction of the Expos and Twins?

NBA

- What if the Grizzlies never left Vancouver in 2001?

- What if the Hornets never left Charlotte in 2002?

- What if Lebron stayed in Cleveland?

NHL

- What if all the Canadian teams not named the Leafs and Canadiens left for the US?

- What if the Aeros, Cowboys, Roadrunners and Racers were part of the WHA bunch that jumped to the NHL?

- Would the Sharks and other recent expansion teams exist without the Gretzky trade?

- What if the Whalers stayed in Hartford?

- What if Cleveland or Cincinnati were given a franchise instead of Columbus in 2000?

Archived