The What-If Thread

Jahgee

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What if "Good" Rex showed up in Super Bowl XLI?

It's hard to know, but lets take that a step further. What if the Colts had lost Super Bowl XLI?

Then Chicago would have won the Big Four Grand Slam over a 12-year period.

I was thinking more in terms of where Payton Manning would stand in the "all time greats" discussion if he didn't have that one ring. After the Colts lost to the Jets in last year's Wild Card round one analyst (can't remember who) remarked that Payton's lone ring against all those years of under-performing in the post-season would impact how he's viewed in the future.

Obviously that becomes a much more interesting discussion if Manning DIDN'T win his lone Super Bowl ring.

EDIT- Thanks Dexter Morgan. That's the discussion I was looking for.

I don't think Peyton's rep would have taken such a huge hit in the long term because I think he's got at least one more Super Bowl win in him.

I don't think Peyton's rep would have taken such a huge hit in the long term because I think he's got at least one more Super Bowl win in him.

I doubt today that Manning will get to let alone win another Super Bowl. The Colts aren't the Colts anymore. So if he lost to the Bears and lost to the Saints in Super Bowl, his rep isn't too great today.

At least Peyton doesn't have to put up with the Marino 'yes but...' conversation. It's tough on QBs that so much of their reputation comes down to team achievements, but it is a position that is about leadership and team.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

What if the Colts won Super Bowl III instead of the Jets? would have been harder to sell the merger between the NFL and the AFL.

please note, that some people think Super Bowl III was fixed by the NFL to sell the merger.

so long and thanks for all the fish.

What if the Giants didn't choke against the Eagles in Week 15....

The Packers wouldn't be Super Bowl Champs. Thank you Matt Dodge, and particularly Desean Jackson

Same scenario elsewhere in week 15. What if Detroit doesn't make two field goals to force OT and win in OT against the Bucs, snapping their 26 game road losing streak? Bucs make the playoffs over the Packers.

MegatronSig2.jpg

What if the Colts won Super Bowl III instead of the Jets? would have been harder to sell the merger between the NFL and the AFL.

please note, that some people think Super Bowl III was fixed by the NFL to sell the merger.

Some people also think the Moon landing was fake.

I haven't heard that the game was fixed. I've heard that Earl Morrall supposedly took a payoff from fellow Colts players. Now is there any truth to that, I have no idea. I do know that if Earl Morrall doesen't throw three INT's the Colts win that game, because the Jets offense couldn't do anything against the Colts. They had a +4 turnover ratio, controlled the ball for most of the game and only managed to score 16 points.

I don't think the Jets so much won that game as the Colts lost it, because it didn't take alot to be better then the Colts that day. Earl Morrall simply had the worst performance of any Super Bowl QB to date. 35% completion rate, 3 INT's, no TD's. Even in that era when if you can throw more TD's then INT's you had a good game, that's bad, and from all accounts Morrall didn't really seem to be phased by it after the game, which is why so many people think he may not have played to the best of his ability to put it nicely. Again any truth to it, I have no clue. I won't say yes, but I won't say no either.

"Sell the merger"? Yeah I've heard conspiracy theorists say that, but they're wrong. Sell the merger to WHOM? The AFL-NFL merger was announced back in 1966; and was gradually transitioned in with a COMMON draft, awarding of expansion teams (New Orleans- NFL/NFC, Cincinnati- AFL/AFC) and the formation of an inter-league championship (the Super Bowl) which after the 1970 game became a full-league championship. The AFL winning a Super Bowl in January of 1969 had nothing to do with "selling a merger".

It is what it is.

What if Jim Thome doesn't sign with the Phillies in 2003, do the Phillies start spending The money that got them where they are today, or do the impose a limit and not contend year in and year out?

The MLB CBA agreement in '03 along with the new ballpark allowed that to happen.

A couple things. Number one that CBA tied in television revenue with your market size. Before teams could put down what they had on their books. Not anymore. Teams figured out you could own your on TV network and udnereport that revenue. The Phillies didn't own their own TV network so they were hurt by this.

The other thing that got them going was the fact that local revenue sharing increased. I think what the Phillies ownership (among others) were doing was just soaking up as much of that money as possible to turn a profit. Alot of that money was unshared (still is) and good amount of it you can count on getting no matter what your team does so a team like the Phillies I'd imagine would have a very big incentive to sit back and not spend anything.

But because of those two things, now they would have to earn more of that money and got placed on more even ground then the rest of the big market teams in terms of TV money.

The idea of it was supposed to be to help out small market teams but I think its actually hurt them because now big market teams have an even greater incentive to spend that their big money maker (local revenue) is not as much as it used to be, so they really need to find another way of earning their bucks. Solution get better and more noticed on a national level to make up the difference.

And if you actually look back I think you'll find a slightly higher correlation between market size and team wins then what existed back in 2000. Now what you have is smaller market teams sitting on the money, because the MLB never bothered to put in a salary minimum. They're raking in this local TV money generated by bigger market teams and pocketing it in alot of cases. Its not that lower market teams don't have more of an incentive to spend, its that they have more of an incentive to not spend.

What if "Good" Rex showed up in Super Bowl XLI?

It's hard to know, but lets take that a step further. What if the Colts had lost Super Bowl XLI?

Then I'd be a Cub's world series away from dying happy.

Which means I'm probably not going to die happy.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

• 2 weeks later...

What if the Skydome/Rogers Centre was built without a roof and hotel?

318715_10150368790477176_506407175_9943084_5597841_n.jpg

That is actually so awesome! Too bad there is no time machine to take us back to the mid 80's to change the plans of SkyDome.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Archived