Best/worst looking rivalry trophy

Kevin W.

The Cy-Hawk Trophy debate got me thinking. This isn't about who's got the best or worst rivalry. Based purely on aesthetics, what do you guys think is the best-looking (and conversely the worst-looking) rivalry trophy in college football?

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the best and worst are both in the Pac-12. The USC/UCLA Victory Bell is definitely one of the best and the Oregon/OSU Platypus Trophy, even if it's not the official trophy, is just meh.

Victory-Bell.jpg-2815.jpg

1130_playtapus.jpg

I have a special place in my heart, of course, for the Territorial Cup. Sometimes you just can't get better than the classics and you can't get more classic than the Territorial Cup. :P

Territorial-Cup-250.jpg

I'll put in a vote for The Commander and Chief's Trophy between the service academies. It's a pretty nice looking trophy (too bad it's no longer in Annapolis :( )

CIC-Trophy-382x459.jpg

I think that's a terrible-looking trophy. Overly-busy, generic and utterly unworthy of the event it commemorates.

You guys all suck. 8 posts and you still haven't posted the Land Grant trophy?

LandGrantTrophy.jpg

This walnut-paneled abomination is the worst trophy ever.

For major schools agree Paul Bunyan's axe is the best, but I am also obligated to nominate the Monon Bell for DePauw-Wabash.

MononBell.jpg

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

During the first year of the Orlando Magic and the Heat's second season, Magic GM Pat Williams "made" a trophy to go to the loser of the season series between MIA/ORL. Since they were sorry, expansion teams, the trophy was a beaten up little league trophy adorned with old gym socks and an un-inflated basketball. I remember watching that on TV when it was announces and the both cities had writers bring it up, but I cannot find a photo. It was titled, The Schaff.

Here I go with the Fighting Sioux again, but there really was a great trophy, the Nickel Trophy, for the University of North Dakota-North Dakota State football rivalry. It was a huge replica of the old Indian head-buffalo nickel, which was perfect for the Sioux vs. Bison.

The trophy has been retired since the Sioux and Bison stopped playing each other when NDSU went Division I-AA. Of course, now UND is in that division, but they still aren't playing each other ... yet.

Speaking of retired trophies, I wish I could find a picture of the Kit Carson Rifle. I wouldn't mind seeing the Arizona-New Mexico rivalry renewed at least somewhat.

I have a special place in my heart, of course, for the Territorial Cup. Sometimes you just can't get better than the classics and you can't get more classic than the Territorial Cup. :P

Territorial-Cup-250.jpg

Currently ASU has a special space in the trophy case that holds the Territorial Cup :P But yes, as one of the oldest physical trophies in college football, it is a special trophy. And actually, because ASU won the first series of games for the Cup in 1899, ASU technically physically owns the trophy, but of course the winner of the game gets the trophy until the following season.

I don't know if I can go out and say what exactly is the best trophy, because there are a lot of great ones. Obviously I love the Territorial Cup. I love the Stanford/Cal Axe and Paul Bunyan's Axe, I love the Michigan/Minnesota jug, I love the USC/UCLA Victory Bell.

As far as worst, that new Iowa/St one is terrible. The platypus is worse. (Like really? Of all the things you could choose for the state of Oregon, a platypus is not even close to being something I'd pick. Like I get that it's a cross between a Duck and a Beaver, but either just go with a standard trophy, or pick something Oregony, like a tree or something)

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Currently ASU has a special space in the trophy case that holds the Territorial Cup :P But yes, as one of the oldest physical trophies in college football, it is a special trophy. And actually, because ASU won the first series of games for the Cup in 1899, ASU technically physically owns the trophy, but of course the winner of the game gets the trophy until the following season.

All I'm gonna say is 46-37-1. Let's leave it at that and keep the rivalry talk elsewhere.

Best/Worst: Southeast Texas

University of Houston vs. Rice - Bayou Bucket

Other trophies pail in comparison.

bayou-bucket.jpg

Astros vs. Rangers - Original Silver Boot

Later replaced by a smaller, classier trophy, this thing looks like the Cable Ace awards gay rodeo cousin. It's not silver and it's ugly to boot.

silverboot.jpg

Archived