NFL Week 8

dennisbergan

The problem with the Rams old set is that they were just dated. From the heat-pressed numbers, the "local sporting-goods store" font, the stripes on the pants, and the "designed for long '70s sleeves" ram horns, they were just past their time.

Yup. I'm an "old school fool", but only when the old school look is better than the current look. And in the case of the Rams, the current look is much better than the old school look. The throwbacks are fine for once in a while but in my opinion, the Rams current look is better in every aspect; including the colors. I don't think the Rams need to change anything but if they do, they need to go back to these beauties...

1157d1268371067-i-just-heard-merlin-olsen-has-died-rams-defense14a.jpg

(Yes, I will use any excuse to post a picture of that uniform. :D )

BB52Big.jpg

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What happened to Infareds best look games of the week?

It was the same teams taking up the same spots every week. It was very predictable. But I do appreciate the fact that you paid attention to it. I've thought about doing a college version. There's a lot more to work with.

BB52Big.jpg

The problem with the Rams old set is that they were just dated. From the heat-pressed numbers, the "local sporting-goods store" font, the stripes on the pants, and the "designed for long '70s sleeves" ram horns, they were just past their time.

Yup. I'm an "old school fool", but only when the old school look is better than the current look. And in the case of the Rams, the current look is much better than the old school look. The throwbacks are fine for once in a while but in my opinion, the Rams current look is better in every aspect; including the colors. I don't think the Rams need to change anything but if they do, they need to go back to these beauties...

As much as I love their current set, I would be perfectly ok with this one. That blue/white look is timeless that whole look has a classic old school style football feel to it.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

IF ONE IS CONSIDERED RACIST, THEN BOTH MUST BE CONSIDERED RACIST.

BOTTOM LINE: NEITHER ONE IS RACIST.

Only thing I dislike about the blue and white is that it just looks boring by comparison, being a two-color set and everything.

It's not so much a big deal when it's the only scheme a team has ever had (Colts or Jets), but when a third color has been used in accenting quality in the past as well, then going with two colors makes the set look like something is missing, to me. Those Rams uni's are nice, but I give the two sets that followed an edge.

spacer.png

Ramjacked! (Man I love that word. Props to the poster who invented it. I forget who it was. My apologies.)

Anyway, even though I'm a WHO DAT, I must say that those vintage Rams' colors looked gorgeous in HD.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

Looks like a couple of the Chiefs has unique socks/shoes. I'm guessing they'll get fined?

Yeah, I noticed that too...a few Kansas City players seemed to be wearing solid red socks, with no white-yellow-white stripage. Keeping with consistency, the League will probably fine them. But it did look good though.

The cheesy colors and design worked perfect for the era they existed, but in 2011 and beyond, it just doesn't fit. It's an absolutely perfect 3rd uniform option. The same applies to the Bucs and Patriots throwbacks as well. None of the 3 should ever come back as that team's primary uniforms.

There was nothing cheesy at all about the colors. Royal and yellow is a great color scheme, and it's a shame every pro team other than the Blues has vacated it (and even they muddied it with adding navy). Hey! The Blues, who have been in STL since 1967 already used that color scheme. How is that NOT St. Louis enough? This midset is the reason we are seeing nothing but bland crap in terms of colors with every team having to carry either black or navy in its color scheme. Also, the darkening and "kewlification" of all these teams also conincided with Nike and the likes rolling out the most attrocious jerseys possible to "distinguish" teams from others when their color schemes used to do so.

There was nothing wrong with the stripes on the pants. In fact, they tied the look together perfectly. You could have abstract or absurd elements on a football uniform (horns, bolts, tiger stripes) as long as they're on a traditional template. The Rams need striped pants to go with the set, and blank pants are as amateurish as it gets, so they picked the best option. Maybe they could have gone with a single royal stripe, but adding the white makes it look better. It doesn't matter that the striping is not repeated anywhere else on the uniform, it is a classic striping pattern which fits in with the look. If these unis were thought up today, they would overdo it (just like the Chargers and Bengals did this past decade) but having curling, Bronco-type horns on the pants, and it would cross the line of keeping the wacky elements within the confines of a traditional template.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Ramjacked! (Man I love that word. Props to the poster who invented it. I forget who it was. My apologies.)

Anyway, even though I'm a WHO DAT, I must say that those vintage Rams' colors looked gorgeous in HD.

To be fair, the Rams were in their throwbacks on Sunday. Talking about the pros and cons of said throwbacks in a thread about NFL Week 8 uniforms is a valid conversation, isn't it?

BB52Big.jpg

As much as I love their current set, I would be perfectly ok with this one. That blue/white look is timeless that whole look has a classic old school style football feel to it.

Even Andy Reid wore it as a teenager ^_^

andrewried.jpg

andrewried.jpg

I'm sold!!! ^_^

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

What I do wish, though, is that the navy was a little bolder, the gold a good bit richer. It may just be the EJD lighting, or maybe I'm just getting old, but it seemed to me that the Rams' navy and gold were much richer in appearance when this current identity first came out in 2000. Not sure if they tweaked their colors over the years or not (paging ColorWerx!), but the navy and vegas definitely appear much too muted and drab now.

I agree with you - the Rams' current color scheme used to stand out more. In particular, the gold seems to have gotten lighter and less metallic:

2000 (first year with current color scheme):

dQ3X0.jpgsOXj2.jpgbSCdq.jpgKseew.jpgwNyxW.jpghV15k.jpg

2010-2011:

V6E8W.jpg56wL9.jpgX8sej.pngZJ6mm.png

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

andrewried.jpg

About a year ago Andy Reid was a guest on 'Jim Rome is burning'

At the end of the interview Romie showed Andy the film footage of that and Andy just smiled and said "Ya gotta love those LA Rams uniforms" :grin:

The Rams were the Bills first ever NFL regular season opponent in 1970 and my dad took me to that game ... it was the most sought after ticket for any of the home games that season, even more so than the Jets game with Namath. LA looked fupping brilliant in those unis! thumbsup.gif

Rams won 19-0 ... but we were now in the NFL .... although the Bills lost I left there feeling as if we won. I couldn't believe we were playing the LA Rams.....

What I terribly dislike about the current Rams helmets is that the horns don't come close enough together in the very front of the helmet, from front to middle it should have more of a V shape, just like in Sept 1970

2165315.jpg

2461606.jpg2237048.jpg

5262140.jpg5323310.jpg

Rams unis were perfect with the side panels - especially the white jerseys. Worked perfectly with the solid gold pants. What a great uniform - especially with the "bronzier" gold in the first couple of pics.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Rams unis were perfect with the side panels - especially the white jerseys. Worked perfectly with the solid gold pants. What a great uniform - especially with the "bronzier" gold in the first couple of pics.

I miss those gold side panels too.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

Totally agree! That side panel pulled it all together, IMHO, and they certainly seemed to match the golds better back then. I know this is a constant point of conversation around here, but I am always mystified why so many teams make a conscious decision to go with mismatched shades of what should theoretically be the same color.

1966BroncosMED.jpg64BearsBlasingamelowres-1.jpgKeyeReboundCloseJPG.jpgDUMagnuson.jpg

idk if i miss the side panels as much as i miss the gold pants

spacer.png

spacer.png

I am always mystified why so many teams make a conscious decision to go with mismatched shades of what should theoretically be the same color.

Very few actually do - most of the time, it's about trying to balance out the different types of materials so they end up looking the same color on the field and across as many media/lighting conditions as possible.

The Cowboys are both an example of and exception to the rule; the greenish-silver home pants were originally designed to "read" as pure silver on the televisions of the time, but have taken on a life of their own and are now a deliberate style choice.

Disagree. The looked way too forced IMO, and just cluttered the uni. The block numbers were awful too.

07Giants.pngnyy.png

Archived