NFL Week 8

dennisbergan

I really hate the shoulder horns. Too clever by half, especially when worn with the horned helmet - rams don't have two pairs of horns.

If they do go back to the classic colors, hopefully they'll resist the temptation to bring those back as well.

I'm pretty indifferent on the shoulder horns. I think they look pretty cool, but the fact that there is already a pair on the helmet and the ever-shrinking football jersey sleeve are two pretty big points against them.

But I agree completely about the 49ers. "Muddy" is the perfect word to describe the use of black from the last set. I think they definitely went overboard with black in the 90s redesign and much prefer with current uniforms.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah the double horn doesn't bother me much because it's not anatomically correct (plus fans don't wear jerseys and helmets), it bothers me because it just doesn't work on modern football uniforms. The current template is a perfect compromise though, and, as has been shown numerous times, looks really great when done up in the classic colors (not that I have anything against the current colors, as long as they're wearing the solid gold pants.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Rams don't have two sets of horns, but they don't run around with a football on two legs either. This idea that teams must look exactly like their mascot is a joke.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

The Rams throwbacks have a great "throwback" feel to them, but they don't do much more than that for me. Wearing them 2-3 times a season is the way to go for the Rams. I'm one of the few that really, really like St Louis' current uniform. I agree that the horn striping on the current set is perfect given the templates that they are bound by. Their home indoor stadium can be dreary, so I wouldn't be opposed to a simple recolor of their current set back to royal blue and yellow.

St. Louis has a really nice modern uniform:

93238126.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921CC759DF4EBAC47D08C38F4813E676802252166D181815EB901DC76230AFDFC59

I was at the Texans game yesterday and loved the red jerseys. Paired with red pants, the Texans look too gimmicky in monotone red. Paired with white pants and red socks, they look outstanding. I really wish they would use those red socks more, though. I would be 100% okay with Houston adopting that look from yesterday as their primary. It looked even better under the sun with the roof open. Something about that shade of red just works.

130974177.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF87892155F29F61288AC1CA9FC4D284F93B7959758387F53451EFD1A58FA3C3C1754E2A

Ordinarily, I would agree. But the Rams' horns are the sole exception.

If the Eagles put another pair of wings on the sides of their pants, it wouldn't bother me. The wings on the helmet are symbolic, not literal. But the Rams have created a literal representation of horns on the head, so horns on the shoulder look goofy.

And no, that doesn't mean I think they have to wear white or brown or other natural colors. Never thought that about the Bears or Lions either. But the genius of the Rams' helmet is that little reference to horns on their heads, which is spoiled by adding a second set of horns elsewhere.

Gotta respectfully disagree, Goth. I think the helmet horns were just a very clever way to showcase a logo and distinguish themselves from other teams. The anatomy of the horns was part of the cleverness. I think that's as far as they wanted to go looking like real rams.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Gotta respectfully disagree, Goth. I think the helmet horns were just a very clever way to showcase a logo and distinguish themselves from other teams. The anatomy of the horns was part of the cleverness. I think that's as far as they wanted to go looking like real rams.

the horns were not intended to be an official logo...I believe they were created as a helmet decoration/embellishment by a rams player...keep in mind the horns were created in an era before visual brand identities were required by every business entity under the sun.

Exactly.

Unlike every other football logo, and unlike almost every logo in professional sports, the Rams' horns were intended not as a team logo but rather to make the players look just a little bit like rams. That is spoilt when concerted into a recurring motif.

It's a little like if the early LA Angels had followed up their cap halos with halos around the players' thighs. Kinda misses the point.

I disagree about SF. The white on red pops so much more than their old muddied double-outlined, dropshadowed numbers. Plus the cherry red is much crisper than the dark purplish maroon. Nothing finer than white and red Braisher stripes.

I'd agree with you on the black-outlined numbers from the 1994 throwback, but they took it way too far on the re-design. a little black helps, but a lot hurts design.

With the darker color scheme and over-reliance on black, "muddy" is about the best word I can use to describe the old look. The current one is crisper, brighter, and so much more pleasing to my eye.

I see what you are saying and I agree, too much black for the 49ers looks awful, but a little makes their set complete. BTW, I was referring to the 1994 team.

The Rams throwbacks have a great "throwback" feel to them, but they don't do much more than that for me. Wearing them 2-3 times a season is the way to go for the Rams. I'm one of the few that really, really like St Louis' current uniform. I agree that the horn striping on the current set is perfect given the templates that they are bound by. Their home indoor stadium can be dreary, so I wouldn't be opposed to a simple recolor of their current set back to royal blue and yellow.

St. Louis has a really nice modern uniform:

93238126.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921CC759DF4EBAC47D08C38F4813E676802252166D181815EB901DC76230AFDFC59

I was at the Texans game yesterday and loved the red jerseys. Paired with red pants, the Texans look too gimmicky in monotone red. Paired with white pants and red socks, they look outstanding. I really wish they would use those red socks more, though. I would be 100% okay with Houston adopting that look from yesterday as their primary. It looked even better under the sun with the roof open. Something about that shade of red just works.

130974177.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF87892155F29F61288AC1CA9FC4D284F93B7959758387F53451EFD1A58FA3C3C1754E2A

This is so simple, but I love how they paint the outline of the TEXANS in red when they wear the red jerseys. I wish Madden did that, it would be sweet.

spacer.png

I don't really have any issue with double logos. The old Seahawks uniforms had the same design prominently displayed on both jersey and helmet, and I thought it looked pretty sharp.

Apples and oranges.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Rams should just go back to basics and while they're at it, come back to LA :)

>>>>>>

I've heard numerous sources say that out of all the 32 teams, the Rams would make the most sense for the LA move that's now become inevitable.

If that happened, they should go back to the basics of the 65-'71 look IMO. I love how angular the ram horns are on those old LA Rams helmets, and the color scheme totally fits the bill.

roman_gabriel.jpgt663395-500.jpg

i like those uniforms too but i dont think looking like the Colts would be a good move for them

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

It's weird how so many bitch about the Saints and Vikings throwbacks having mismatched colors, yet nobody says that about the Rams 2-blues throwback. Go figure.... :wacko:

I thought I was the only one that noticed that. Same thing can be said about the LT era NY Giants unis. I constantly see complaints about the navy blue & sky blue color combo, when the navy & royal blue combo these two teams used to wear is so much worse IMO. When the Rams changed their unis in 2000 I was glad they settled on one shade of blue (like wise for the Giants when they uniforms changed around that same time).

Hotter Than July > Thriller

It's weird how so many bitch about the Saints and Vikings throwbacks having mismatched colors, yet nobody says that about the Rams 2-blues throwback. Go figure.... :wacko:

I thought I was the only one that noticed that. Same thing can be said about the LT era NY Giants unis. I constantly see complaints about the navy blue & sky blue color combo, when the navy & royal blue combo these two teams used to wear is so much worse IMO. When the Rams changed their unis in 2000 I was glad they settled on one shade of blue (like wise for the Giants when they uniforms changed around that same time).

I think people don't complain about it because they understand its part of the throwback look. (The complaint with the Saints mismatched colors is more often with their primaries, not as much with the throwbacks, from what I've seen.) Like the Vikings, its kinda cool that they went with the "mistake" for the sake of being as authentic as possible in representing the old look. I'm sure that if the Rams (or Vikings for that matter) brought back an updated version of that uniform, and purposely kept the mismatched colors, they'd catch hell around here. And rightfully so.

Count me as another one who'd love to see that royal blue - athletic gold scheme come back... it used to be all over (Rams, Chargers, Mariners, Brewers, Sabres...) and I miss it.

Also, I'm in lock-step with Gothamite on the sleeve horns. I always had trouble explaining why it somehow felt different to me than other sleeve representations which I was fine with. His explaination was perfect. Next time I'm discussing it, I can just say what he said and pretend I thought of it!

If/when they finally bring back the Warner-era uniforms, the only changes I would suggest is to use royal blue as the only shade of blue, and possibly move the TV numbers to the shoulders. I made this concept a while back:

MDgbp.png

Even with regular block instead of the custom numbers, I think this is what the Rams ought to be wearing. Of course, I just now realized I accidentally flipped the horn color and the sleeve color.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I'm also in the minority when it comes to the Rams current uniforms. I think their millennium blue, century gold and their current uniform design is perfect. As for their throwback uniform, it reminds me of the old basketball ABA uniforms. I'm one of the biggest fans of the ABA uniforms, but I would never want a team wearing them in this era. Same applies to the LA Rams look. I think keeping that uniform as a 3rd alternate is the way it should stay.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

IF ONE IS CONSIDERED RACIST, THEN BOTH MUST BE CONSIDERED RACIST.

BOTTOM LINE: NEITHER ONE IS RACIST.

Archived