Say it ain't so, Joe

Viper

I'll leave this here for now before more details are known, but there's now something going on here at Syracuse involving basketball assistant Bernie Fine

http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-basketball/2011/11/17/2569906/bernie-fine-syracuse-investigation-molesting-ball-boy-boeheim-coach

Uh oh.

Oh :censored:.

If this Syracuse thing ends up the same way Penn State did, I just might call it a day on sports fandom. I don't want any part of that.

When we are willing to cover up pedophilia to save a basketball program, I think our culture needs to change. I'm just as die hard a sports fan as the next guy, but I would trade all of the Duck's victory if it meant those kids weren't abused. I'm sick of it. Miami, tOSU, USC, Penn State, Syracuse (obviously the latter two being far worse than the first three). I think we've become too obsessed with sports. I don't know how to change it, but we need to take drastic meassures, starting with the NCAA.

1. CLEAR AND SIMPLE RULES. This would eliminate the grey area, and make decisions much easier and efficiant.

2. Some sort of player fixed salary. Schools couldn't make the excuse of "Well these kids need these things to survive!" It should be enough to cover their meals, and maybe some fresh cloths, you know, enough to live on.

3. Harsher penalties for schools who break these rules. Right now, breaking NCAA violations does nothing to the program, other than maybe hurt it for about a year or two. Taking away a few scholarships is not going to do anything. We need more things like USC to send a message: "Stay clean."

It's a small step, but i feel that it is a necessary one.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll leave this here for now before more details are known, but there's now something going on here at Syracuse involving basketball assistant Bernie Fine

http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-basketball/2011/11/17/2569906/bernie-fine-syracuse-investigation-molesting-ball-boy-boeheim-coach

Uh oh.

If this Syracuse thing ends up the same way Penn State did, I just might call it a day on sports fandom. I don't want any part of that.

When we are willing to cover up pedophilia to save a basketball program, I think our culture needs to change. I'm just as die hard a sports fan as the next guy, but I would trade all of the Duck's victory if it meant those kids weren't abused. I'm sick of it. Miami, tOSU, USC, Penn State, Syracuse (obviously the latter two being far worse than the first three). I think we've become too obsessed with sports. I don't know how to change it, but we need to take drastic meassures, starting with the NCAA.

1. CLEAR AND SIMPLE RULES. This would eliminate the grey area, and make decisions much easier and efficiant.

2. Some sort of player fixed salary. Schools couldn't make the excuse of "Well these kids need these things to survive!" It should be enough to cover their meals, and maybe some fresh cloths, you know, enough to live on.

3. Harsher penalties for schools who break these rules. Right now, breaking NCAA violations does nothing to the program, other than maybe hurt it for about a year or two. Taking away a few scholarships is not going to do anything. We need more things like USC to send a message: "Stay clean."

When did it come out Syracuse covered things up with the info that came out at this point? The university conducted an investigation on this previously and are conducting another one with whatever new info's coming out, plus they've already put Fine on administrative leave

That being said, if the allegations are true, there's no excuse for what Fine did. And quite frankly, if Boeheim goes down with him because he knew, so be it. I'm not gonna defend them for their actions if all this comes out as true

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

FWIW, here's SU's statement that came out about an hour after the ESPN report (it's like night and day between the Penn State PR and Syracuse's)

http://syr.edu/news/articles/2011/statement-11-17.html

“In 2005, Syracuse University was contacted by an adult male who told us that he had reported to the Syracuse City Police that he had been subjected to inappropriate contact by an associate men’s basketball coach. The alleged activity took place in the 1980’s and 1990’s. We were informed by the complainant that the Syracuse City Police had declined to pursue the matter because the statute of limitations had expired.

“On hearing of the allegations in 2005, the University immediately launched its own comprehensive investigation through its legal counsel. That nearly four-month long investigation included a number of interviews with people the complainant said would support his claims. All of those identified by the complainant denied any knowledge of wrongful conduct by the associate coach. The associate coach also vehemently denied the allegations.

“Syracuse University takes any allegation of this sort extremely seriously and has zero tolerance for abuse of any kind. If any evidence or corroboration of the allegations had surfaced, we would have terminated the associate coach and reported it to the police immediately. We understand that the Syracuse City Police has now reopened the case, and Syracuse University will cooperate fully. We are steadfastly committed to ensuring that SU remains a safe place for every member of our campus community.”

Once again, I'm not defending Fine by any means, and if the allegations are true he and Boeheim (if he heard about it previously, which I would think would be the case considering they live next door to one another for goodness sakes) deserve what they get, but let's see where things go from here first. Granted supposedly a new person has come forward, but again let's see how things play out before throwing all of SU under the bus

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

http://www.sbnation....y-boeheim-coach

Uh oh.

The fact that you want to just go after the NCAA illustrates you are as blind to the issue as Joe Paterno claims he is.

Isn't the necessary step at the other levels which involve children of (possibly) younger ages within other sports?

USA Swimming

USA Gymnastics #1

USA Gynmastics #2

Uh oh.

The fact that you want to just go after the NCAA illustrates you are as blind to the issue as Joe Paterno claims he is.

Isn't the necessary step at the other levels which involve children of (possibly) younger ages within other sports?

USA Swimming

USA Gymnastics #1

USA Gynmastics #2

You're misinterpreting my post. It wasn't about targeting sex abuse, it was about changing a culture that puts too much emphasis into sports, as to the point where they are willing to do horrible things to support it. Can you please stop trying to go after every single post I make and say I'm an idiot, because you look like an ass.

Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Also, if covering up a crime isn't already considered lack of institutional control and worthy of cancelling a team's season, it should be. Penn State football should be taking a year off.

To quote Spencer Hall. Siccing the NCAA on the Penn State coverup is like setting the neighborhood association on solving a triple homicide. This is WAY beyond the scope of what the NCAA can and should enforce.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Uh oh.

USA Swimming

USA Gymnastics #1

USA Gynmastics #2

You're misinterpreting my post. It wasn't about targeting sex abuse, it was about changing a culture that puts too much emphasis into sports, as to the point where they are willing to do horrible things to support it. Can you please stop trying to go after every single post I make and say I'm an idiot, because you look like an ass.

The fact that the NCAA was started as a call to action from President Theodore Roosevelt illustrates that the emphasis on sport was over a century old. Before it was a class issue in making the NCAA for the upper class. These issues are rampant within the AAU and USOC in terms of governing bodies too, yet you just want to focus on the NCAA.

Nice.

Have better overall posts, therefore others will not go reply to you as much as we do.

Uh oh.

USA Swimming

USA Gymnastics #1

USA Gynmastics #2

The fact that the NCAA was started as a call to action from President Theodore Roosevelt illustrates that the emphasis on sport was over a century old. Before it was a class issue in making the NCAA for the upper class. These issues are rampant within the AAU and USOC in terms of governing bodies too, yet you just want to focus on the NCAA.

Nice.

Have better overall posts, therefore others will not go reply to you as much as we do.

I wasn't saying that it was the only thing we could do. But it is one of the many things we could do. And the NCAA was created because players were dying on the field. If anything, it was setup to encourage people to play football and not abandon it. To quote yourself:

Uh oh.

USA Swimming

USA Gymnastics #1

USA Gynmastics #2

Nice.

I wasn't saying that it was the only thing we could do. But it is one of the many things we could do. And the NCAA was created because players were dying on the field. If anything, it was setup to encourage people to play football and not abandon it. To quote yourself:

"Don't do it, son! Don't do that!"

-George Foreman; Nov. 8, 1996

Uh oh.

Unfortunately there may be more. First the US gymnastics, now Syracuse - it seems that this Penn State scandal has encouraged other victims to speak up. At this point, it is highly likely that more incidents are uncovered as time goes on.

What the hell is with grown men and little boys? Just...don't understand where that comes from.

Anyways, this whole penn state thing is going to go to hell, and perhaps the whole nambla sponsored victim ring of high profile child molesters will collapse like a deck of cards.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Surely the issue with the NCAA is that it organises rather than runs college sport (if that makes sense). It's not the NBA or NFL in that sense. It doesn't have the range of powers and tends to be more reactive than proactive than a major pro league.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

What the hell is with grown men and little boys? Just...don't understand where that comes from.

It's because male pedophiles can't as easily gain access to groups of girls more than a specific desire for boys.

Before anybody goes there again, this isn't a gay thing. It's a child-molesting thing.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/PennStateNCAALetter.pdf

NCAA getting ready to smack Penn State with lack of institutional control.

It's too bad they and second mile weren't immediately put on freeze. God knows how many crucial documents have been destroyed by either group in the drawn out time since this was broken open.

Joe Paterno's son reported today that his dad's got a treatable form of lung cancer.

*shrug*

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Also, "In this difficult and deeply personal time, we ask that the media respect our wishes..."

I've got money saying 1) The diagnosis came in August or earlier and 2) The initial plan was for him to announce this with his retirement after his last bowl game.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived