Arizona Cardinals Third Jersey

DeFrank

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dispute the claim that black takes up the majority of their logo.

I don't mind the Cards wearing black trim, but it just seems....wrong....for the oldest team in the NFL to have a black alternate.

They are the only team in the NFL to be named after a color. They have worn nothing but cardinal and white since they started. The black works as trim, and they have a history of using it (St. Louis days). The regular unis are good, but the BFBS is awful. Doesn't look like the Cardinals, and it takes me a couple of seconds more to recognize the team, which is NOT good.

07Giants.pngnyy.png

The Cardinals are named the cardinals because their coach said that the jersey they bought weren't maroon, but cardinal red.

Which is a nice story, but may or may not be true. I've heard that it might be one of those things that was made up for marketing purposes.

Kind of like the sham of a story that the Angels now wear Red because it was Gene Autry's favorite color. (It's a lie.)

I'm a bit torn on the Cardinals' Black jerseys...I wanted Black to be a more predominant color in the Cards' color scheme since I became a fan of the team in 1969, but it IS a bit shocking to see them in a predominantly Black uniform.

Still, the curse of the Black unis was lifted yesterday...they hadn't won in them (regular season) until PP21 took it to the house.

They are the only team in the NFL to be named after a color. They have worn nothing but cardinal and white since they started. The black works as trim, and they have a history of using it (St. Louis days). The regular unis are good, but the BFBS is awful. Doesn't look like the Cardinals, and it takes me a couple of seconds more to recognize the team, which is NOT good.

This:

I was looking at some images from the game and actually found myself wondering why they had all these pictures of the Rams playing the Raiders until the "oh" moment.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

For some reason, I get annoyed when a team can't make their alt jersey work without also having alt pants and socks. I know its nitpicking, but I think a better designer could've made a black jersey (not that they needed it) work with the regular pants. The chargers do this, too. Basically, it isn't just an alt jersey, but an entire alternate uniform. I guess it just feels a little like a slippery slope, to me.

For some reason, I get annoyed when a team can't make their alt jersey work without also having alt pants and socks. I know its nitpicking, but I think a better designer could've made a black jersey (not that they needed it) work with the regular pants. The chargers do this, too. Basically, it isn't just an alt jersey, but an entire alternate uniform. I guess it just feels a little like a slippery slope, to me.

I totally get this! I still don't think of it as BFBS but I do see why its bad. Looking at it now, it just is so different than the normal uniforms. Maybe if it had red numbers?

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

If they didn't have a black jersey until they needed a merchandising boost, then it's still BFBS.

However, it was the Cardinals' players that asked for them.

Teams should never listen to the players when it comes to uniforms... they've proven time and again to have terrible taste.

I totally get this! I still don't think of it as BFBS but I do see why its bad. Looking at it now, it just is so different than the normal uniforms. Maybe if it had red numbers?

This is exactly what I thought when I first saw them. Cardinal numbers outlined in white would have helped the jersey tremendously, and not only would've matched the pants and socks better, but would have also set it apart from the similarly looking Falcons' black alt.

My take on the third is that it's a bit of a special case - I can't bring myself to call it BFBS, seeing as how the Cards have worn some sort of black trim at various times throughout their history (and as you mentioned, is prominent in the primary logo). However, I do think the use of a black jersey is simply unecessary. Meaning, I view Arizona as one of the teams in the league that can get by with a two jersey set and don't need a third made out of a secondary color, much like Kansas City doesn't need a gold alt, Oakland doesn't need a silver alt, Tampa Bay doesn't need a black or pewter alt, etc. I don't know if I explained that well, but I hope it made sense. That's just my humble opinion on the matter.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

This is exactly what I thought when I first saw them. Cardinal numbers outlined in white would have helped the jersey tremendously, and not only would've matched the pants and socks better, but would have also set it apart from the similarly looking Falcons' black alt.

My take on the third is that it's a bit of a special case - I can't bring myself to call it BFBS, seeing as how the Cards have worn some sort of black trim at various times throughout their history (and as you mentioned, is prominent in the primary logo). However, I do think the use of a black jersey is simply unecessary. Meaning, I view Arizona as one of the teams in the league that can get by with a two jersey set and don't need a third made out of a secondary color, much like Kansas City doesn't need a gold alt, Oakland doesn't need a silver alt, Tampa Bay doesn't need a black or pewter alt, etc. I don't know if I explained that well, but I hope it made sense. That's just my humble opinion on the matter.

Doubt the NFL would allow red numbers, because they would be almost unreadable, but I do think it would look better (But still not very good)

07Giants.pngnyy.png

Archived