2011 NBA Free Agency

hettinger_rl

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually, the Knicks ruined their cap situation by signing Tyson Chandler to a big contract. And the Lakers aren't in a much better position unless they somehow find a way to move Kobe's albatross of a contract. The Clippers themselves were one of CP3's preferred trade destinations, and own his Bird rights, meaning they can extend him for five years and pay him more than anyone else. I wouldn't say it's anywhere near a certainty that he'll leave as a free agent.

I wouldn't either. But on the flip side, I wouldn't say it's a certainty that he'll even stay with the Clippers past two years.

I think he'd be willing to take a pay cut to play for a contender. Especially one like the Knicks or Lakers :P

P.S. Honest question, did Paul say Clippers were one of his preferred destinations before or after he realized he couldn't play for the Lakers or Knicks?

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

There's no way he's accepting anything less then a max deal and any team that can't give him that will be out. Once the Knicks signed Tyson Chandler it took them out of signing any big time free agent. They might be able to convince a Kevin Martin type player to come in for less money, but no way they'll ever be able to bring in a guy like Chris Paul without also getting rid of Chandler.

I could see him going to a team like Dallas. To me that's a far more likely scenario then NYC. I don't see him leaving LA though. Then again never underestimate the ability of Donald Sterling to completely screw things up. If there's a man that could somehow make playing for a team like the Clippers have right now into an unbearable situation its Donald Sterling.

Did Chris Paul really say "Luckily we play in arenas with high ceilings" stfu

Blake Griffin is the most overrated player in the league. Cool dunks =/= great player. I'm not denying that hes a good player, but certainly not in the top 10 where ESPN's NBA Rank put him

Blake is one of the most overrated players in the league. It's a good thing he has CP3 on his team, because he cannot create his own shot. But, he is not better than Pau Gasol. I don't know why people keep saying that.

Also, when he said, "I'm excited to be here in L.A. with this unbelievable franchise with so much history behind it" did any of you think that was a prepared statement he made for when he was to be introduced by the Lakers? :P

No :censored:. There aren't many power forwards/centers that can create their own shot. That's not what they're supposed to do. The only big guys that create shots are the ones that jack up jump shots instead of really playing down low.

6fQjS3M.png

Did Chris Paul really say "Luckily we play in arenas with high ceilings" stfu

Blake Griffin is the most overrated player in the league. Cool dunks =/= great player. I'm not denying that hes a good player, but certainly not in the top 10 where ESPN's NBA Rank put him

Blake is one of the most overrated players in the league. It's a good thing he has CP3 on his team, because he cannot create his own shot. But, he is not better than Pau Gasol. I don't know why people keep saying that.

Also, when he said, "I'm excited to be here in L.A. with this unbelievable franchise with so much history behind it" did any of you think that was a prepared statement he made for when he was to be introduced by the Lakers? :P

No :censored:. There aren't many power forwards/centers that can create their own shot. That's not what they're supposed to do. The only big guys that create shots are the ones that jack up jump shots instead of really playing down low.

And if you want to see how detrimental that is to the success of a basketball team, just look at what happened when Josh Smith & Al Horford (the PF & C of the Hawks) decided to "create their own shots" this past season. The team actually regressed offensively. If you're a post player (Unless you're Bargnani or somebody of that ilk) you should be banging in the paint or, in Blake Griffin's case, just eating up whatever lobs come your way.

I'm late with this post, but Chris Paul is NOT a top 5 player in the NBA. The list could probably be larger but here are a few that come to mind that keep him out of the top 5:

-Rose

-Kobe

-Dirk

-Wade

-Lebron

-Dwight Howard

-Durant

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

I'm late with this post, but Chris Paul is NOT a top 5 player in the NBA. The list could probably be larger but here are a few that come to mind that keep him out of the top 5:

-Rose

-Kobe

EDIT: Nvm, you probably didn't list that in any particular order.

I actually agree, CP3 is top 10 easily, but idk about top 5.

-Rose

-Kobe

EDIT: Nvm, you probably didn't list that in any particular order.

I actually agree, CP3 is top 10 easily, but idk about top 5.

I agree, Paul is probably in the top 10. No, I didn't do the list in any order, although I can see how Rose before Kobe would look questionable.

By the way, I love your signature.

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

How is Rose better than CP3? Last year, Rose was pretty even statistically to Russell Westbrook, who doesn't even sniff your top five. Westbrook had more APG and RPG than Rose. Their PER's were basically a dead heat, with Westbrook's slightly higher. Paul racked up more assists per game and had a higher PER than both of them.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Assists depend on shots being made. Perhaps Paul was the beneficiary of having teammates that shoot the ball, while Rose suffered through Joakim Noah's funky-ass shooting stroke.

All I know about Rose is that he made the Bulls a #1-seed in the playoffs and gave the Hawks fits despite having a hurt ankle. I dunno if he's top-5 right now, but his upside is hella brighter than Paul's.

I would say Derrick Rose proved himself to be the best PG in the NBA last year, but I'll put Chris Paul as a close second.

Not quite the scorer he was when he started out, but arguably the best passer in the game, and after Rajon Rondo I would say the next best PG in the NBA on the defensive side of the ball.

Westbrook is solid as well but he still does a few too many bonehead things for me to put him in that elite category with Rose, Paul and Rondo. Main problem is he needs to get better at handling the ball. That being said though he is light years ahead of where he was mentally when he first came into the league. He's gotten much better with his shot selection and reading defenses. He just needs to be more consistent with his play, but he could easily be in that elite category in my book by the end of the season. The talent level with him is there. Its just a matter of applying it which I think he's still learning how to do. He could still be another year or two away from reaching his peak.

I don't deny that Rose will be the best PG in a couple years, but right now CP3 is better.

That's a laughable comment when noone has played a game that matters in 6 months.

Maybe LightsOut meant that CP3 is better now from an experience standpoint, as opposed to who is playing better this very moment.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

Apparently the Clips have signed/are about to sign Reggie Evans. That definitely addresses any questions about a capable rebounder off the bench, and you know he's not going to be taking any shots away from CP3/Billups/Blake/DJ/Mo/Butler/the coach/a fan in the third row/anyone else.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

Archived