DolphinManatee's Miami Marlins Concept

DolphinManatee

Can you try and make a Miami script that looks similar to your superior Marlins one?????? This is amazing.

In the last game against Detroit, the time from ten minutes left to one minute left was probably the longest nine minutes of my life. But from one to zero was probably the greatest time I've ever had. I didn't want the clock to run out. It was such a great feeling: people crying in the stands, people jumping up and down, people cheering. Guys couldn't even sit up on the bench. It was probably the best minute of my life.

Ah, the "I'm kidding" - the universal internet excuse for saying something that others perceived as dumb.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understand you tried to create your own marlin, but in all reality, the original marlin would serve you better. When I first glanced at the fish, it looked like an overweight swordfish. Just my perception. I love the progression of your scripts and they are shaping up nicely. I also think that the gradient batting helmets would look cool on the field. This project is moving nicely, and I look forward to seeing it get even better.

ayr02r.gif

I don't think, because thinking implies uncertainty. Therefore, I KNOW.

I understand you tried to create your own marlin, but in all reality, the original marlin would serve you better. When I first glanced at the fish, it looked like an overweight swordfish. Just my perception. I love the progression of your scripts and they are shaping up nicely. I also think that the gradient batting helmets would look cool on the field. This project is moving nicely, and I look forward to seeing it get even better.

I agree with Lance in that you should probably stick with the already-extant Marlin or continue to work on this one. This one as it's drawn now looks indignant about something (as opposed to 'mean' or 'intimidating'). It's almost like someone slapped it and it's mad and can't believe it was slapped or something and is glaring back at the slapper. (Haha, sorry. That's a ridiculous explanation.)

Also, at first I thought I liked the idea of navy instead of black, but now I figured out what the away uniforms remind me of: the Mariners. Especially with the template you're using with the turtle-necked undershirt. All I can see in that away uniform is Ichiro Suzuki. I'm not saying get rid of the navy, but perhaps adding more teal or orange to the away would help differentiate that uniform from the Marlins.

I think the unis are at or near done, but the logo needs some work. I don't like how the underside kind of curves up into the gill; it would look much better if it just went straight (with no indent by the neck). That's really throwing it off and by fixing that it would look much better. Kudos for sticking with this concept for nearly ten renditions, though.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Seems like you've been working your ass off on these. Good job, its been cool to see the development process.

Last time I posted on this thread, you pretty much blew my comments off out of what I perceived as frustration / laziness. Trust me when I say I really like the design and how far its come, and frankly, the C&C is meant to help you get better, not jerk you off.

- Jerseys -

I really like the overall flow of the sets, looking at them all stacked up. Outside of some over-arching line weight issues (that apply to everything, really. I'll get to that below), I think the home uni is perfect. It has a neat 80's vibe to it, but its not gaudy. It feels up and fresh. On the other hand, the road may contrast too heavily, being rather dark. Maybe make the main letter/number color teal instead? Its just a stark difference from the home. The black jersey is fine, but I think both the teal and orange jerseys would benefit from white-based wordmarks and numbers. The black cap is perfect, but the teal cap with the orange logo is a bit rough. I'd suggest seeing how a white icon looked instead.

- Letters and Numbers -

This commentary obviously applies to how they'd look on the jerseys too. I think line weight is still a problem. There's something about pencil thin double strokes that just doesn't feel right here. On line weight, you just need to thicken all the "strokes" up, across the board. The just feel sorta puny, and at a distance, get lost.

- Jersey Script Logos -

Love the fix to "Miami." Without the marlin mushed in, it reads awesome on the jerseys and in general. I think that little issue on the bottom left (where the "swoosh underline" and the left tip of the "M" get a bit friendly) does need to be nipped. I think just reducing the vertical climb of the swoosh will help a lot. The script overall is definitely better, bravo. Nitpicks: the top right arch of the "r" is stretched out a little to far northeast, the dot of the "i" can be shrunk a bit on the Y axis, and the "s" may need to "dip" south east a little less, and the actual opening on the inside of the "s" could probably close up a bit, just for comfort of the eye with that currently slightly too large negative space there.

Overall, I think all of the "arches" of the letters may lean a little too far east, but that's just me. A lot of people seem to dig it.

Great job sticking to this. I'll have a visual for the main logo that I think can help you work on it a bit later on.

And overall, remember not to get to frustrated. Concept design on this board isn't about getting some owners to buy it off you, its gotta be one part fun, one part educational. Again, awesome job following through with this one. The concepts have continually improved.

Now that I think about it, two matching scripts aren't always necessary. Think of the Mets. Theirs don't match at all. The Yankees don't even have a home script. The Giants aren't the same either. What I'm saying is you should stick with what you have. I've loved seeing the progression of this concept, and I'm glad you stuck with it.

spacer.png

Update Número Diez:

Logos:

Barreto_MarlinsScriptsAndLogos-10.png

Uniforms:

Barreto_MarlinsUniform-10.png

Miscellaneous:

Barreto_MarlinsMisc.png

Notes: From now on, I am playing the role of team owner. Updates from now on will include improvements to both the uniforms and other organizational stuff. Here is a link to one of the things I want to improve on if I am owner. Thank you all for the feedback and sorry for any incorrect Spanish. :grin:

MiamiDolphinsStriping-1_zpsb1620a41.png

I plan to alter the minor league ladder in addition to making concepts for those teams.

Planned Minor League Structure for the Miami Marlins:

AAA: Fort Lauderdale [Name and Colors TBD] (Fort Lauderdale Stadium)

AA: Jacksonville Suns [black, Yellow] (Baseball Grounds of Jacksonville)

Advanced-A (Florida State League): Fort Myers Palms [Royal Blue, Green] (City of Palms Park)

Any suggestions?

MiamiDolphinsStriping-1_zpsb1620a41.png

I plan to alter the minor league ladder in addition to making concepts for those teams.

Planned Minor League Structure for the Miami Marlins:

AAA: Fort Lauderdale [Name and Colors TBD] (Fort Lauderdale Stadium)

AA: Jacksonville Suns [black, Yellow] (Baseball Grounds of Jacksonville)

Advanced-A (Florida State League): Fort Myers Palms [Royal Blue, Green] (City of Palms Park)

Any suggestions?

Fort Lauderdale Tropics or Tides??????

In the last game against Detroit, the time from ten minutes left to one minute left was probably the longest nine minutes of my life. But from one to zero was probably the greatest time I've ever had. I didn't want the clock to run out. It was such a great feeling: people crying in the stands, people jumping up and down, people cheering. Guys couldn't even sit up on the bench. It was probably the best minute of my life.

Ah, the "I'm kidding" - the universal internet excuse for saying something that others perceived as dumb.

The away feels pretty out of place when compared to the rest of the set. It has so much black, and minimal teal and orange, whereas the other jerseys are vice versa (and have no black).

+1

I think it would be best if teal were the primary color on the home and road, with orange and black being secondary colors. The road alt would look better with some teal and orange.

Archived