HP has a new logo.

Ark

Not to beat a dead horse, but I have to respond to a couple of your points. On the Yankees example, the reason the Yankees don't change is because the Yankees' brand IS their history. What makes the Yankees special? It's Gehrig and Ruth, DiMaggio and Berra, Mantle and Maris, Mattingly and Jeter, 27 championships and counting, and pinstripes. A computer company, no matter that it's the largest in the world, can't bank on its history. It has to be new and experimental, no matter how old and reliable it is.

And for the record, I think you underestimate kids. Especially those who now have computers in their lives before they even go to grade school.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And for the record, I think you underestimate kids. Especially those who now have computers in their lives before they even go to grade school.

Which would only back up my point. 15-20 years is now 2-3. So they won't even "grow up with it". When they have computers in their life that young, they won't know the name of the brand (my "Microsoft Word on Dell" point). Plus, I'm still in HS, so I actually know kids very well. Whatever, this is a trivial argument.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

I was making a point about it being too abstract, not trying to sound smart. My point was that it looks too abstract IMO. If you went up to 100 different people who had never heard of hp before, most would have no idea what that logo is supposed to mean. My point on the elderly was simply because they're not familiar with the brand, and thus wouldn't understand what they're looking at when they see the logo. In no way was I suggesting that such a prime and significant computer market such as old people would be left out in marketing (yes, that "prime market" is sarcasm). If you told me that was BP Oil's new logo, I would believe you. Here was my point on the "next gen consumers": Bob is 10. I don't know about you but when I was 10, the only computer-related brands I could recognize were Microsoft and Dell (because op opening Microsoft Word on my parents' Dell laptop). Hell, he may even buy a computer in 5 or so years. He wouldn't have grown up with that logo, but he may have seen it on ads or something, but would have no idea what it is. Isn't branding about reaching out to new audiences? If you're just gonna change it because you know that a lot of people will still recognize it, that is stupid. If that's really the reasoning (which I'm not saying it is), then it's CFCS. Why don't the Yankees release a new logo like this because "everyone knows the Yankees"? If I showed some grandpa who is very unfamiliar with technology the Apple logo and told him to guess the name of the brand, he'd probably throw out "Apple" as a random guess. If I showed him the "Dell" logo, he would obviously say "Dell". If I showed him that, he'd probably guess "lyi" or "lqi". IMHO, that is crappy marketing.

Whatever, I'm not gonna get into an argument with a bunch of experienced graphic designers who have their own businesses about marketing (thus the "IMHO"s). That's why I want to become a lawyer (don't worry, I'll have better arguments than this). happy.gif

Your experiment sounds great, but good luck finding 100 people who have never heard of HP. The biggest point you're still missing is that HP isn't some tiny startup trying to make a name for itself; it's the best-selling computer brand in the country at 15-20% of the market share. This might be a bad logo for Harold's Pub, because as you and others have pointed out, everyone might not read it as HP not knowing the visual language, but the fact that it is for HP goes a long way toward people recognizing it as an evolution of their brand.

And yes, the kids will grow up with this logo and learn very quickly what it represents, just like a kid learns quickly what the Nike swoosh represents without having any sort of clue beforehand.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

You forget, Big Bubba is in high school and knows everything there is to know about everything. So even though you are in the field and know about marketing, he knows more than you.

And its an HP logo. Looks like one from the moment you see it.

That was a pretty crappy post. He actually stated above that he didn't intend to start an argument with people with better credentials.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

On the Yankees example, the reason the Yankees don't change is because the Yankees' brand IS their history. What makes the Yankees special? It's Gehrig and Ruth, DiMaggio and Berra, Mantle and Maris, Mattingly and Jeter, 27 championships and counting, and pinstripes.

You can, however, make classy tweaks that still keep alive the history, while keeping the future in mind. For instance, the Yankees could definitely stand to standardize all their interlocking NY logos, revamp their dated road uniforms, and even maybe introduce a navy road alternate.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Thank goodness. That logo would of been just a bad as the Gap logo that was used for a short time.

The current HP logo is simple enough. It does not need to be simplified anymore by slicing up the letters and removing the circle.

Actually their rebrand happened two years ago. Going from the rounded square with hp inside to the circle hp. I know, because I had to update all the logos on the pdfs, and we've been using the rounded hp logo for the last well, it'll be three years in a couple months.

Actually their rebrand happened two years ago. Going from the rounded square with hp inside to the circle hp. I know, because I had to update all the logos on the pdfs, and we've been using the rounded hp logo for the last well, it'll be three years in a couple months.

I thought I recalled them changing things just a couple years ago. It was probably during that same process that these ideas were conceived.

Archived