NIKE NFL Uniforms

29texan

Hopefully the new Rams alt will be their current home uniforms and the new regular uniforms will be the throwbacks.

Dear God no. The Tony Banks uniforms need to go back in the closet from whence they came.

/It's going to be a :censored: ing metallic gold alt. Just watch. <_<

I mean there is only do many logical options of what they can go so it's either gonna be the foursome throwback or like you said a :censored: ing metallic gold alt, everyone's has to give it one go around. Because I don't see a black & red throwback to the Cleveland days...

Fordham would complain.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

reebok has been an entirely different animal where I've seen players on the same team an position wearing dramatically different templates/patterns like the traditional square yoke next to a raglan sleeve, which are completely different styles of construction.

hopefully that clarifies things for ya.

Just for clarity's sake, this is an issue with the manufacturer, not Reebok. In addition, NFL players generally have their equipment custom tailored after it is delivered, which is why you have a lot of that variation in cut and style beyond the basic positional differences. Do you have an example of two players on the same team, one wearing a square yoke and the other a raglan (not including teams that were testing the TechFit-style jerseys)?

I see it both ways...the variations most definitely have to do with the manufacturer having so many templates available which may be a bit of overkill imo but ultimately doesn't reebok have the last say in quality control and tell ripon or whomever that "these are the templates that we are using on field for each team to achieve a consistent look"..I'm guessing that nike will control this aspect much more than reebok did as they are much more controlling over how their product is presented.

as far as the raglan/square goes...from the best of my recollection I can think of the cowboys, eagles, and previous bills as examples but I think there are a few more...it's much easier to notice on tv than from a photo record...and when I mean raglan I'm talking about a pattern that resembles the harrington era ducks jerseys but the reebok one is slightly modified in that it also has over the shoulder seams but has a raglan appearance nonetheless.

I don't think Reebok regulates that, and I think that's one of the reasons the players liked it. The equipment managers could basically get whatever they wanted. I've heard that Nike doesn't serve the business in this way, like you said, being very strict and regulatory. I've heard a rumor that they've even sent letters to some smaller retailers stating that say they don't meet the requirements to be an official Nike NFL retailer or something to that effect. The attitude they have toward this type of thing could potentially make teams and retailers very angry, so we'll see.

The thing about the smaller retailers made some newspaper in NJ. I read it at the end of last week, I think.

What are the requirements to be an official Nike NFL retailer? I hope this contract isn't already going to their head.

And I think you have to push a certain amount of merchandise to be a licensed retailer. A former friend ran a small jersey-lettering business & Nike finally cut him off because he wasn't a large-scale retailer.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Hopefully the new Rams alt will be their current home uniforms and the new regular uniforms will be the throwbacks.

Dear God no. The Tony Banks uniforms need to go back in the closet from whence they came.

Seriously? The Rams wore those great royal blue and athletic gold unis for all those years, and when you see them, you think Tony Banks? Tony Banks??

Sense of history much?

I consider them the Dickerson or Jim Everett uniforms (though I know a lot of other good players wore them as well.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Seriously? The Rams wore those great royal blue and athletic gold unis for all those years, and when you see them, you think Tony Banks? Tony Banks??

Sense of history much?

not to mention a freaking super bowl

spacer.png

spacer.png

reebok has been an entirely different animal where I've seen players on the same team an position wearing dramatically different templates/patterns like the traditional square yoke next to a raglan sleeve, which are completely different styles of construction.

Just for clarity's sake, this is an issue with the manufacturer, not Reebok. In addition, NFL players generally have their equipment custom tailored after it is delivered, which is why you have a lot of that variation in cut and style beyond the basic positional differences. Do you have an example of two players on the same team, one wearing a square yoke and the other a raglan (not including teams that were testing the TechFit-style jerseys)?

I see it both ways...the variations most definitely have to do with the manufacturer having so many templates available which may be a bit of overkill imo but ultimately doesn't reebok have the last say in quality control and tell ripon or whomever that "these are the templates that we are using on field for each team to achieve a consistent look"..I'm guessing that nike will control this aspect much more than reebok did as they are much more controlling over how their product is presented.

as far as the raglan/square goes...from the best of my recollection I can think of the cowboys, eagles, and previous bills as examples but I think there are a few more...it's much easier to notice on tv than from a photo record...and when I mean raglan I'm talking about a pattern that resembles the harrington era ducks jerseys but the reebok one is slightly modified in that it also has over the shoulder seams but has a raglan appearance nonetheless.

I don't think Reebok regulates that, and I think that's one of the reasons the players liked it. The equipment managers could basically get whatever they wanted. I've heard that Nike doesn't serve the business in this way, like you said, being very strict and regulatory. I've heard a rumor that they've even sent letters to some smaller retailers stating that say they don't meet the requirements to be an official Nike NFL retailer or something to that effect. The attitude they have toward this type of thing could potentially make teams and retailers very angry, so we'll see.

The thing about the smaller retailers made some newspaper in NJ. I read it at the end of last week, I think.

What are the requirements to be an official Nike NFL retailer? I hope this contract isn't already going to their head.

And I think you have to push a certain amount of merchandise to be a licensed retailer. A former friend ran a small jersey-lettering business & Nike finally cut him off because he wasn't a large-scale retailer.

My pure guess? You're going to see a "Dick's Sporting Goods (or similar large chain): The exclusive provider of NFL Jerseys" with mass jerseys only available at Walmart and of course the online sales at NFLShop and Team shops only.

The Rams royal-and-golds will always be Leo Farnsworth uniforms to me.

Rest in peace, Leo. We still miss you. Best owner ever.

Joe Pendleton: still the greatest QB never to win a Super Bowl....RIP Joe.

GO TOM JARRETT!!!

Nah, Pendleton was never more than a backup (although he was starting to look good). Couldn't even go cycling without getting himself killed. Farsworth was the real star of that Super Bowl season.

But you're right. Jarrett is the man. The natural heir to both Pendleton and Farnsworth.

My pure guess? You're going to see a "Dick's Sporting Goods (or similar large chain): The exclusive provider of NFL Jerseys" with mass jerseys only available at Walmart and of course the online sales at NFLShop and Team shops only.

Hmmm, I doubt that. Too many large online retailers to make the NFLShop, Dick's, and team shops the exclusive stores. Sites like Finish Line, Eastbay, Foot Locker, FansEdge, FootballFanatics, Amazon, and many others sell plenty of Nike merchandise. If you're Nike, you don't want just two or three sites selling your gear.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Hmmm, I doubt that. Too many large online retailers to make the NFLShop, Dick's, and team shops the exclusive stores. Sites like Finish Line, Eastbay, Foot Locker, FansEdge, FootballFanatics, Amazon, and many others sell plenty of Nike merchandise. If you're Nike, you don't want just two or three sites selling your gear.

Yeah, more than likely it'll be that it will only the ones listed there. You'll ONLY be able to get NFL jerseys at one of the major online retailers (NFL, Eastbay, FF, FansEdge) or one of the major retail chains (Champs, Dick's, Foot Locker). It'll be the small locally-owned shops that get cut off all together.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Sense of history much?

I only was old enough to care about football in 1995. So yes, I do associate those uniforms with Tony Banks. And losing. Lots and lots of :censored: ing losing. Yes I intellectually grasp the history of those uniforms, but its hard to mentally overcome the semi-repressed traumas of cheering for the late 90s Rams. And I probably never will.

/Super Bowl doesn't register since that was effectively an entirely different roster, and those players spent most of their Ram careers wearing the current colors.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

It seems like they're trying to make the NFL gear exclusive to big box stores like Foot Locker, Finish Line and Dick's. Some of that blame would go on the stores, too, though. I mean, if I'm Finish Line or Dick's, I'd probably go to Nike and say, "Hey, those mom and pops don't buy a quarter of the gear we buy, and they don't promote your stuff with the same prominent placement and unique displays that we do. We're scratching your back. How about you scratch ours and make us exclusive NFL retailers." That's just the cynic in me talking, though. Pure speculation based on how shady I think nearly all business dealings are.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Not likely...I just wouldn't be surprised.

Well, no. There won't be a single exclusive retailer (unless somebody unloads a s#!t ton ofmoney back on Nike), but I think we will see a 'you have to push this many units or you can't sell our NFL gear' exclusive.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Sense of history much?

I only was old enough to care about football in 1995. So yes, I do associate those uniforms with Tony Banks. And losing. Lots and lots of :censored: ing losing. Yes I intellectually grasp the history of those uniforms, but its hard to mentally overcome the semi-repressed traumas of cheering for the late 90s Rams. And I probably never will.

/Super Bowl doesn't register since that was effectively an entirely different roster, and those players spent most of their Ram careers wearing the current colors.

Well I have to interject now.. The Rams were in St Louis sporting the royal & yellow from 95-99 with 99 being the only winning season in that uniform in stl & winning the the SB. 12 seasons of sporting the navy & gold only 3 have been winning with the pretty bad records. My point is the navy & gold really hasn't been better and at y'all have a SB in the yellow & royal.

#DTWD #GoJaguars

Sense of history much?

Well I have to interject now.. The Rams were in St Louis sporting the royal & yellow from 95-99 with 99 being the only winning season in that uniform in stl & winning the the SB. 12 seasons of sporting the navy & gold only 3 have been winning with the pretty bad records. My point is the navy & gold really hasn't been better and at y'all have a SB in the yellow & royal.

But there are good times with those unis (and more like 4-5 good years with a couple years of mediocrity where they still had a chance to win a lot of games before their decade of bad decisions caught up with them.) Excepting the 1999 squad which became more iconic in the current colors, those good times aren't there with the Banks unis.

Besides, if the Rams hadn't blown the paperwork deadline for the uniform change (as typical) they would have worn the current colors in 1999. What they are wearing now is what they should have won the Super Bowl in. To say "they won the Super Bowl in the Banks uniforms" just serves to remind me how mind-numblingly incompetent Frontiere and her cronies could be at times.

Today, we are all otaku.

"The Rams considered 15-20 color combinations when changing uniforms in 2000. Frontiere went with "new century gold" and "millennium blue" because the combination "made cosmic sense" entering the 21st century, even though she thought other colors looked better" But yeah I'm pretty sure it was all set for 2000 because they did the change after the Rams won the Super Bowl. I am curious what the other combinations would have been? .

#DTWD #GoJaguars

Archived