Dallas "winter" pro teams unis

Burkell007

Um...

dallas-stars-authentic-away-jersey-edge.jpg

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

It's not just a Dallas thing. Seems to me that since the 90's pro sports in general has had a sort of "war on green". Add the Timberwolves to the list, and when the Whalers moved to Carolina, we traded an awesome color scheme for (yet another!) red and black hockey team. The NJ Devils were much earlier, of course, but I never got used to it.

Although it'll start an argument, I'd even add the Eagles and Seahawks to the list. I know, techincally, they still wear green, but they both traded a handsome, solid Kelly green for two different shades of green that are just a little too phony/hip for me. Its like they were saying, "yeah, sure, we wear green, but not your daddy's green! Were too cool for that!"

Thank God for the Canucks! Between them and the Celtics, we at least have two teams wearing that great color. I don't get it... as a sports uniform color, true kelly green is so beautiful, to me. Yet another example of how I am (proudly, I might add) out of touch, I guess. Good news, though... fads die, classics return. As Thomas Hart Benton said... best thing about getting old is you outlive your enemies.

From a marketing standpoint, does green just not sell? Some pencil pusher somewhere most feel like they have a good reason to make these decisions.

It's not just a Dallas thing. Seems to me that since the 90's pro sports in general has had a sort of "war on green". Add the Timberwolves to the list, and when the Whalers moved to Carolina, we traded an awesome color scheme for (yet another!) red and black hockey team. The NJ Devils were much earlier, of course, but I never got used to it.

Although it'll start an argument, I'd even add the Eagles and Seahawks to the list. I know, techincally, they still wear green, but they both traded a handsome, solid Kelly green for two different shades of green that are just a little too phony/hip for me. Its like they were saying, "yeah, sure, we wear green, but not your daddy's green! Were too cool for that!"

Thank God for the Canucks! Between them and the Celtics, we at least have two teams wearing that great color. I don't get it... as a sports uniform color, true kelly green is so beautiful, to me. Yet another example of how I am (proudly, I might add) out of touch, I guess. Good news, though... fads die, classics return. As Thomas Hart Benton said... best thing about getting old is you outlive your enemies.

From a marketing standpoint, does green just not sell? Some pencil pusher somewhere most feel like they have a good reason to make these decisions.

This is the best post on green that I've read in several days!

I agree totally. While the NHL was busy making sure all home jerseys were red, black, and blue, teams were dropping kelly green like mad...and it's too bad. Red, black, blue...the Padres won't wear brown, nobody will wear yellow/red without adding black. And green is going away too. I am sooooo disappointed in the T-Wolves for taking all of the vividness out...particularly with the loss of the Sonics. And the Eagles could look great with a modern version of kelly green and gray (though I am not naive enough to think that there would be no black).

It is kind of a "war on green" (Stared by the Devils' "War on Christmas"?)...but it's almost a "war on uniqueness".

I think you are right...it's probably that sales of red/black/blue are greater than those of green, etc.

(And I know this belongs in the unpopular opinions thread, but I really miss the Green/Red Devils. That red jersey is literally my favorite hockey jersey ever. Then they dumped their uniqueness...in fairness, they did go red/black before the Canes and Sabres (and Flames?)

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I think the influx of 'merchandising colors' (as I like to call them) has really hindered fans' bonds with their team colors. You see soccer fans singing songs about their team colors, and practically all their team merchandise is made in the team colors. Associating yourself with your team's unique color scheme and wearing it proudly used to be a source of pride in American athletics, and then somebody said, "Hey, this stuff doesn't have to be just for the stadium." To which the other guy said, "Come on. No one is going to wear a bright green quarter-zip out for drinks with his boss." Which then prompted many migrations to some type of navy blue, black, dark red, or dark green. Thankfully, bright colors are coming back into fashion, and people are learning that bright colors can be worn in good taste. As a result, we're seeing brighter colors come back into sports with teams like the Bills, Jazz, 76ers, etc.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

It's not just a Dallas thing. Seems to me that since the 90's pro sports in general has had a sort of "war on green".

I can't remember the last time I agreed with a post this wholeheartedly. The Canucks are the only team in the NHL to use kelly green and it's a big reason why I believe they have one of the league's best identities (being a fan helps too).

As for the Dallas Stars, people forget that they too used kelly green in their inaugural year but it was quickly swept aside for a forest green so dark, it almost appeared black. Aside from adopting the current long-sleeved basketball jerseys, it was the biggest mistake they ever made.

e40f55769bb74e47bd2f557.jpg

I think the influx of 'merchandising colors' (as I like to call them) has really hindered fans' bonds with their team colors. You see soccer fans singing songs about their team colors, and practically all their team merchandise is made in the team colors. Associating yourself with your team's unique color scheme and wearing it proudly used to be a source of pride in American athletics, and then somebody said, "Hey, this stuff doesn't have to be just for the stadium." To which the other guy said, "Come on. No one is going to wear a bright green quarter-zip out for drinks with his boss." Which then prompted many migrations to some type of navy blue, black, dark red, or dark green. Thankfully, bright colors are coming back into fashion, and people are learning that bright colors can be worn in good taste. As a result, we're seeing brighter colors come back into sports with teams like the Bills, Jazz, 76ers, etc.

While I agree with much of your post, I wouldn't cite the Bills and Jazz. The Bills just couldn't committ to the old colors fully and had to jam navy into the design. The uniforms look much worse than they could have because of the navy. The Jazz also "went back to their colors" without actually going back to their colors. They were always a purple team until around 2002. They brought back the green, but it isn't kelly green and gets lost on the uniforms. More importantly, they replaced the purple (which is also considered one of those "too bright" colors that people won't wear) with navy so a fan could comfortably wear a Jazz polo shirt with khakis on a trip to the grocery store or something.

While bright colors have always been there in urban fashion, they might just be starting to come back into more mainstream fashion. Admittedly, I am a boring married guy who doesn't fully know what is "in" for people my age, but the only time I really see young guys wearing bright colors, it will be a bright color against a navy background of a plaid shirt.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

They scrapped that third jersey this season. It's just the two "DALLAS" jerseys.

:censored:, you're right. Well, the white "DALLAS" jersey still has green trim.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Since the Oilers and Panther both ditched their first set of EDGE jerseys, it has left Dallas as having the worst jerseys in the league.

Personally I think the templates used by teams like Pittsburgh and Ottawa are worse... the jerseys worn by the Stars are boring, sure, but I wouldn't call them the worst.

I was at a Stars game in Dallas in Dec. There were literally DOZENS of people wearing the old Minnesota North Stars away (green) jerseys. I had completely forgotten what a great jersey that was. Was great to see it again, and I for one would love to see the Stars embrace the green colour again. Maybe the new owner will bring it back.

yes for stars, no for mavericks

In the last game against Detroit, the time from ten minutes left to one minute left was probably the longest nine minutes of my life. But from one to zero was probably the greatest time I've ever had. I didn't want the clock to run out. It was such a great feeling: people crying in the stands, people jumping up and down, people cheering. Guys couldn't even sit up on the bench. It was probably the best minute of my life.

Ah, the "I'm kidding" - the universal internet excuse for saying something that others perceived as dumb.

As long as Calgary wears their current set they'll have the worst sweaters in the league hands down.

I'm sure we'll see the Flames follow in the Oilers' footsteps and make their alternate their primary in the coming years. That alt is too good to remain an alt.

Archived